What problem is this?

jwdesign

Aug 21, 2008
My girlfriend told me that there's a problem with my dslr, but i yet to see it.

Problem stated by her was that when sometimes she tries to half click to get the auto focus, it doesnt focus at all, meaning the lens part didnt move at all, and she had to manually turn the len to focus....

Anyone know what problem is this? Or is she just ignorant on how to use a dslr?

Problem stated by her was that when sometimes she tries to half click to get the auto focus, it doesnt focus at all, meaning the lens part didnt move at all, and she had to manually turn the len to focus....

maybe she accidentally switched the lens to manual without noticing it? :dunno:

what lens and what camera body?
as 'pasay' mentioned, probably the lens or camera body got switched to Manual Focus mode accidentally.

or she try to capture plain ( no pattern ) subject?

lens part didn't move at all.... tt mean's it's not hunting and find no focus right?...maybe can check if the AF is disabled on body or on the lens...

"Problem stated by her was that when sometimes she tries to half click to get the auto focus, it doesnt focus at all.."

does that means at the same time, some are able to focus while some cant? if yes, then maybe as mentioned, she's trying to take pic of a plain subject, eg white color wall etc etc.

if all the while also can't focus, then should have accidentally switched to MF mode..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Apart from accidentally switching to "MF", could it be she didn't press the shutter release button hard enough?

Possibilities that I can think of:

1) No Batt
2) Batt flat
3) Appropriate switches not activated on body or lens, aka, main switches, selectors or focus selectors - even experienced photographers sometimes forget these or switch it incorrectly.
4) Focus drive motors issue, depending on model of body or lens
5) Shutter button contact issue, common on some bodies
6) There's nothing for the AF sensors to lock on
7) Not enough light or contrast
8) Improper activation techniques - e.g., half press but don't hold button down properly
9) Auxiliary shutter button deactivated/switched off
10) Issues with the camera body
11) Improper custom functions set / AF activation button(s) inadvertently changed
12) Others __________ (fill in the blanks)

It's easier to think of all the possibilities first, then eliminate the less likely ones individually. Also easier to help her inspect the camera and watch her operate it, then go back to your check list to see if you can narrow it down.

All the best.

I tried myself just now, indeed everything is fine the AF activation, the focus point blah blah...But still the focus of the lens doesnt move, it twitch once in a blue moon...so i guess its the lens faulty????

Possibilities that I can think of:

1) No Batt
2) Batt flat
3) Appropriate switches not activated on body or lens, aka, main switches, selectors or focus selectors - even experienced photographers sometimes forget these or switch it incorrectly.
4) Focus drive motors issue, depending on model of body or lens
5) Shutter button contact issue, common on some bodies
6) There's nothing for the AF sensors to lock on
7) Not enough light or contrast
8) Improper activation techniques - e.g., half press but don't hold button down properly
9) Auxiliary shutter button deactivated/switched off
10) Issues with the camera body
11) Improper custom functions set / AF activation button(s) inadvertently changed
12) Others __________ (fill in the blanks)

It's easier to think of all the possibilities first, then eliminate the less likely ones individually. Also easier to help her inspect the camera and watch her operate it, then go back to your check list to see if you can narrow it down.

All the best.

I like your # 12) Others __________ (fill in the blanks) :thumbsup:

TS : No one here can advice you without actually seeing your camera and lens. The above advise is quite comprehensive, in addition, i would advice you to do the following.
1. Check AF/M switch
2. Check metering selection
3. Remove and mount the lens again and try
4. Try with another lens
5. Try in good light with good contrast
6. Switch off your body, remove battery.... try after 1 hours

Above will definitely give you hints about what wrong. If all the above does not work... visit CSC :cool:

I tried myself just now, indeed everything is fine the AF activation, the focus point blah blah...But still the focus of the lens doesnt move, it twitch once in a blue moon...so i guess its the lens faulty????

In the first place, do u know what camera are u using?
Is the AF turn on? :nono:

is the AF point beeping or show some confirmation that it is in focus ? check image in PC for sharpness/focus

well i experience this press shutter no AF issue once, but realised my wife set the AF to AF ON button and shutter only for AE (i'm on nikon btw)...
my solution.....
buy for her, her own camera body to shoot with... :devil:

i recall that canon also has a custom function to separate the AF and AE from the shutter button..

cheers

ok, my wild guess- motor in the AFS lens died!?? haha..try it on another body...

Maybe the oil in the motor dried up..

TS, could you provide specific and detailed feedback about the settings on the lens and body, custom function settings with regards to AF as well as the circumstances under which you tested the camera/lens and how you tested it? Also, were any error messages encountered recently?

Not trying to be difficult, but any or all of these factors could have an impact on how a camera and lens' AF system behaves. Without details, how to help - accurately?

It might also help to let us know what body and lens are involved.

Ok I tried my friend's lens and it works, so I assume my lens is faulty....

I am using a Canon 450D with the IS 18-55mm kit lens, using AI Focus and yes the button on the lens is on AF mode.

sounds like a id10t issue.

but i feel this kinda question is much better than "recomend me a dslr, tripod", "d90 vs 550d vs ****", blah blah etc etc...

Ok I tried my friend's lens and it works, so I assume my lens is faulty....

I am using a Canon 450D with the IS 18-55mm kit lens, using AI Focus and yes the button on the lens is on AF mode.

Send the lens in for repair. I think your lens' AF motor just died. A known problem for the 18-55 IS.