What Portable Harddisk do you use?

JacePhoto

Oct 1, 2007
New York City
www.flickr.com
I store and work from my hard disks. And i have a backup (2 x 1 TB Mybook) which works without any problem for the past 4 years. But the question is not on back-ups. Its about a portable workhorse to use for daily affairs.

Over the 4 years, i have used Western Digital and Seagate Portable Harddisk 1 TB. I have sent them back after a year or so. The one that they returned to me (RMA) continues to have problems (file corruption).

What is a good harddisk to use? Many Thanks.

LaCie. ;)

You could consider using a Ssd in an enclosure too. More expensive but will be more resistant to shock and falls.

It is no long really brand specific. Hard disk will fail it is just a matter of when. Some of the latest advice is for portables to use them for about a year, then replace - this works if it is a business because your usage should be higher than a home user and you should have recovered costs within a 2 weeks..... after all aside from the Lacei most 1T portables are not more than $140.

Western Digital and Seagate for the 'unimportant' stuff like movies and things that will not kill me if lost
everything else goes to a data farm (i can empty handed log in from anywhere outside to retrieve)

Last edited:
ed9119 said:
Western Digital and Seagate for the 'unimportant' stuff like movies and things that will not kill me if lost
everything else goes to a data farm (i can empty handed log in from anywhere outside to retrieve)

So for the important stuff, which brand harddisk (or HDD in NAS) do you use?

I'm using 2 Western Digital 500G ext. hard disks. it's for my home use only (pictures storage, movies, mp3) they're two yrs now and still no problem... i may be considering to back up them now...

So for the important stuff, which brand harddisk (or HDD in NAS) do you use?

As mentioned earlier by ellery, I agree that it isn't brand specific anymore. Different brands offer different colours, designs, pre-installed backup softwares, etc. It really depends on what you really need.

As for your question, "important stuff" have to be backed up. Never save them on one drive only for it to fail and realise it. By then will be too late to recover the lost data.

I use 2 Western Digital hard disks. The basic ones. One is permanently plugged in and updated after every new batch of photographs, the other is updated less regularly. Of course I also store a copy on my working drive on the computer as well. I should probably get one more again soon and add another layer of redundancy.

LaCie Rugged Hard drives.... the Orange ones.... renowned the world over by photojournalists.

I use 4 of them at the moment. ( I don't carry all 4 mind you ;) )

Seperate note - For NAS RAID / and Backup at home I have the Apple time capsule for backing up the MAC's then I will use SYNOLOGY NAS RAID setup... Manually and done weekly.

Last edited: