What pns user can expect from use micro 3/4 or normal dslr?

new2011

Aug 17, 2011
Hi..,

So far i use pns camera :
canon a75 for 2-3 years.
canon a700 for 1-2 years.
canon a720 for 3 years plus until now.

Most of time I use portrait or landscape scn mode in above camera and the result is very good in day time and moderate in night time.
Recently I bought panasonic GF-2 with 14mm f2.5 lens.
Ffter try 2-3 days, the result can not event close to my canon pns a720.
I try use same portrait, landscape or even AI mode, but still the result with the same object/ place, i can say 20-25% or more less sharp/ clean compare my canon a720.
By right i should get better or same result as canon pns a720 right?
or micro 3/4 system is not mean for use scn/ AI mode?
The only good result i got is only video from my new GF-2 :(

So can share what normal pns user can expect with micro 3/4 camera or maybe the normal dslr like canon eos 600d?

thanks for any reply/ info

Hi..,

canon a75 for 2-3 years.

Most of time I use portrait or landscape scn mode in above camera and the result is very good in day time and moderate in night time.
I try use same portrait, landscape or even AI mode, but still the result with the same object/ place, i can say 20-25% or more less sharp/ clean compare my canon a720.

So can share what normal pns user can expect with micro 3/4 camera or maybe the normal dslr like canon eos 600d?

Not sure if you have the images to upload? it will probably be much easier to tell you why too.

Maybe you're just more used to the over-sharpened and processed PnS cameras. Try adjusting the sharpening level in your cam to a higher level.

Just becoz u've been a camera user for a certain type doesnt mean your photos will be better once u use a different (presumably better) format. It will take time to learn the camera's buttons and their functions. It will also take time to re-learn the basics and how to apply it to your new cam.

Advantage of a pns is that it's less complicated to operate. That said, it also gives you less control. A dslr gives you more control over the settings you wish to achieve, but you have to know how to use them to maximise it.

Just my 2 cents

In my experience the m43 cameras do offer better image quality, but you gotta be willing to work to get them. I turn off all noise reduction and do that in-software on the computer instead, and when I do that I find that there is much more range to 'play' with the noise/sharpness balance then there is with the PnS.

If you want it straight out of camera without editing, then you'll have to configure some things to your liking ahead of time- Auto ISO range, noise reduction, and so on.

People buy a m4/3 or dslr so that they don't have to use portrait or landscape scn mode anymore.

When I bought my dslr, I have no intention to use it as another PnS.

Most of the time, I use Av, Sv or Manual mode.

The images are better because the Phase AF is faster than my old PnS contrast AF and the image sensor is larger.

if you buying a dslr or m43 just because you think the cam will auto take better photo for you, you are better off not buying it. Fact use auto will give you worst photos.....

Hi..,

canon a75 for 2-3 years.

If you still have the a720 canon with you, would you be able to take some side-by-side photos and post here to illustrate your point about the GF2 having less sharp photos?
It could be due to more aggressive sharpening settings on your a720, but having some images to look at really helps to understand the situation better :)

People buy a m4/3 or dslr so that they don't have to use portrait or landscape scn mode anymore.

When I bought my dslr, I have no intention to use it as another PnS.

Most of the time, I use Av, Sv or Manual mode.

The images are better because the Phase AF is faster than my old PnS contrast AF and the image sensor is larger.

if you buying a dslr or m43 just because you think the cam will auto take better photo for you, you are better off not buying it. Fact use auto will give you worst photos.....

I agree 100% with above statement, I wish I ask more detail like my first post about micro 3/4 or dslr camera, before i bought it :(
what I did ask before was whether dslr give better result in any light condition compare with pns.
most people answer it yes, but i'm not realize that maybe people say yes mean not in auto/ scn mode.

what i still not get it:
1. why in most brochure/ website of particular brand, especially the micro 3/4 system always promote about the auto/ scn mode that can give good result?
Like about how advance the camera can detect light condition, type of object, which object want to be clear/ blur, etc.

2. what is the purpose of have auto/ scn mode in mirco 3/4 if the result is can not give at least same or better with pns camera that have much less sensor.
I mean, if it is very true, in the hand of very professional hand(because all photo i tested is by hand, not by tripod), the auto/ scn mode in micro 3/4 or normal dslr can not give same or better result then normal pns camera, what is the point to have auto/ scn mode?
if newbie user like me see, there is no auto/ scn mode in micro 3/4 or dslr, already straight in mind, that the one and only way to use this camera is by A,S or M mode.

I wish this thread, can help people to know, that (if true) even you buy like Canon 1D, you will never (if true) can get same or better result in auto/ scn mode compare pns camera for the same object and same light condition.

If you still have the a720 canon with you, would you be able to take some side-by-side photos and post here to illustrate your point about the GF2 having less sharp photos?
It could be due to more aggressive sharpening settings on your a720, but having some images to look at really helps to understand the situation better :)

Hi,
yes, i still have my canon a720. because maybe i will stick to that camera.
i will try to upload the photo with day and night scene.
So far I only have comparison night scene.

btw, i do not do any setting on GF2 or A720.
GF2 out from box, charge battery, set default/ reset setting, change to AI shoot, scn portrait shoot, landscape shoot. with flash auto, without tripod
same thing with A720(normal firmware), auto shoot, scn portrait shoot, landscape shoot. with flash auto, without tripod

hm.. :(, i wish i can do demo in panasonic service center and return the GF2 and get refund :)

hm.. :(, i wish i can do demo in panasonic service center and return the GF2 and get refund :)

They won't give you a refund for a "you didn't know what you were buying" case. Not does the service centre handle refunds. Most you can do is sell here for second-hand price.

fiddle around with the manual controls, read more online and snap more
see if it makes any difference :)

I agree 100% with above statement, I wish I ask more detail like my first post about micro 3/4 or dslr camera, before i bought it :(
what I did ask before was whether dslr give better result in any light condition compare with pns.
most people answer it yes, but i'm not realize that maybe people say yes mean not in auto/ scn mode.

what i still not get it:
1. why in most brochure/ website of particular brand, especially the micro 3/4 system always promote about the auto/ scn mode that can give good result?
Like about how advance the camera can detect light condition, type of object, which object want to be clear/ blur, etc.

2. what is the purpose of have auto/ scn mode in mirco 3/4 if the result is can not give at least same or better with pns camera that have much less sensor.
I mean, if it is very true, in the hand of very professional hand(because all photo i tested is by hand, not by tripod), the auto/ scn mode in micro 3/4 or normal dslr can not give same or better result then normal pns camera, what is the point to have auto/ scn mode?
if newbie user like me see, there is no auto/ scn mode in micro 3/4 or dslr, already straight in mind, that the one and only way to use this camera is by A,S or M mode.

I wish this thread, can help people to know, that (if true) even you buy like Canon 1D, you will never (if true) can get same or better result in auto/ scn mode compare pns camera for the same object and same light condition.

I use P mode most of the time, A or S some of the time, and M mode rarely. One thing to note though is that are many different 'correct' exposures for a scene. Some might freeze action more and give you less depth of field. (large aperture, fast shutter) Some might blend movement more and give you more depth of field. (small aperture, slow shutter). Some introduces more grain for faster speeds (iso). When you use Auto/P mode, you're restricted to one interpretation. A or S allows more control, and M really isn't as difficult to use as you think- the camera gives you hints.

Having said that, P mode works for me all the time, since I shoot a lot of outdoor, daytime, still shots of non-moving subjects.

But if you're talking about noise and sharpening, you'll have to look into noise reduction and noise filtering. Turning those on will make pictures less grainy, but also less sharp and keep less detail. Turning them off will make pictures grainier (much bigger problem at high ISO) but also keep things sharper and more detailed.

Pick your poison. I prefer to get them sharp first, and reduce noise if necessary on the computer. You can't go the opposite direction (once noise is reduced in camera, bringing back details in computer is much harder).

what i still not get it:

I can't say I agree with the statement that using the preset scene modes in a m4/3 camera will give you less attractive results than using similar scene modes on a compact PnS. If not, the scene modes in a m4/3 camera would be a totally redundant thing.
But before speculating further as to the cause of this supposed reduction in quality, it would be beneficial to see the results (photos).

1) Use your a720 to take a photo that you are pleased with, in terms of sharpness, colour, etc.
2) Then use your m4/3 camera and take the same photo with whatever scene mode you think is appropriate.
3) Post both photos to this thread with whatever relevant info necessary (shutter speed, ISO, aperture value, white balance, etc), or else leave the EXIF info intact when you upload.