What Photography Magazines You Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi just want to know which photography magazines you all read? And which titles you would recommend? For me, I buy some titles and borrow some from the library. The following are the titles I read. They are placed from my most favourite to least favourite.

1. Practical Photography
2. Popular Photography and Imaging
3. Photovideoi
4. Digital Photography User
5. Petersen Photography

(1) and (3) I buy on a regular basis.. Practical Photography has very gd tips and information each month on how to take better pictures on the different subjects of photography. This magazine is packed full of photography goodness and most importantly it doesnt have alot of pages of advertisments unlike some magazines. I buy Photovideoi coz its a local magazine(support local photography mag) and its the cheapest photography magazine I can find on the market now.. The only gripe I have is that I wish it can have more pages dedicated to taking better photos of different topics.. But nevermind it is already good enough for the price.. My 2nd fav is Popular Photography, I find the reviews of cameras and lens in the magazine very comprehensive and accurate, the reason why i never buy it is because its quite ex, ard $17.90 if I am not wrong. But nonetheless its a gd read and I always look for it 1st in the library..:)

Popular photography and Imaging $12.50. Some place also give discount. I buy at $11.00 monthly. Go to Raffless MRT.

Regards,
Arto.

Huh? Really ah? Think the mama shop near my place want to "tok" me.. Thanks Arto..:)

Artosoft said:
Popular photography and Imaging $12.50. Some place also give discount. I buy at $11.00 monthly. Go to Raffless MRT.

Regards,
Arto.

aaron80 said:
Huh? Really ah? Think the mama shop near my place want to "tok" me.. Thanks Arto..:)
I buy at mama shop ;) . Friendly mama shop. Even they deliver the magazine to my office personally.

Regards,
Arto.

Only buy Practical Photography regularly...

So far, after browsing quite a few mags, i still like the tips and lessons for shooting from this mag. The reviews from time to time will also tempt me... hehehe

NLB has Practical Photography & Popular Photography, so I don't have to buy them.

Photovideoi also have, but I buy them still ;)

Peterson's no more liao leh :confused:

For me the magazines that I do buy is Shutterbug and Digital Camera World :)

I buy Practical Photography monthly. Picked up the habit of buying it when I was in the UK... Photography Monthly is also not bad after they kapo'd Practical Photography's editor 1-2 years back.

However, I find that all the magazines always keep repeating the same sort of theme every year... in a given year, confirm will have one B&W issue, one macro issue, one night shooting issue, etc; which sorts of diminish the enjoyment a bit over time.

Hey which mama shop u buy from? U can get at $11.. Intro me the shop, i go patronise also.. i work at tanjong pagar, near raffles place..;)

Artosoft said:
I buy at mama shop ;) . Friendly mama shop. Even they deliver the magazine to my office personally.

Regards,
Arto.

Ya but Practical Photography and Popular Photography both very hot at NLB. Very hard to get, and even if can find, is those very back issues.. Peterson always have alot of stocks though.. Think not much ppl read coz alot of pages dedicated to advertisements..

Hexlord said:
NLB has Practical Photography & Popular Photography, so I don't have to buy them.

Photovideoi also have, but I buy them still ;)

Peterson's no more liao leh :confused:

For me the magazines that I do buy is Shutterbug and Digital Camera World :)

Ya I feel the same way as you.. The tips and lessons are really useful and interesting.. This month issue is good, theme is composition, alot of reviews(Ricoh, Olympus E330 and a feature on Sony R1 vs Canon 350D)

zac08 said:
Only buy Practical Photography regularly...

So far, after browsing quite a few mags, i still like the tips and lessons for shooting from this mag. The reviews from time to time will also tempt me... hehehe

I am thinking of subscribing to Photovideoi too, coz in the long run save quite alot.. The editor John Cosgrove came to my company last month, had a talk with him(asked him where to get camera bags), before he went off, he even showed me the draft copy of the April issue(the one on still life which is out now) ;)

Koelsch said:
I order and suscribe to PhotoVideoi for a year =D

b & w photography.

used to read photography monthly, but found that the articles repeated themselves quite often.

I buy practical photography and photography monthly. I prefer to read PM, cos it is easier to read, and features many good photos ..

justarius said:
I buy Practical Photography monthly. Picked up the habit of buying it when I was in the UK... Photography Monthly is also not bad after they kapo'd Practical Photography's editor 1-2 years back.

However, I find that all the magazines always keep repeating the same sort of theme every year... in a given year, confirm will have one B&W issue, one macro issue, one night shooting issue, etc; which sorts of diminish the enjoyment a bit over time.

aaron80 said:
(1) and (3) I buy on a regular basis.. Practical Photography has very gd tips and information each month on how to take better pictures on the different subjects of photography. This magazine is packed full of photography goodness and most importantly it doesnt have alot of pages of advertisments unlike some magazines.
I buy Practical Photography monthly too, get it from Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only, cos other places retailing for $14.90 at least.

Xing said:
I buy Practical Photography monthly too, get it from Basheer at Bras Brasah Complex 4th floor for $12 only, cos other places retailing for $14.90 at least.

Hmmmm, I normally pass by a bookstore and grab one... normal buying price for me is $13.50 or so.... Mebbe if I do go there, I might grab one from Bras basah the next time...

I bought mine for $13.50 at a convenience shop at Woodlands mrt station.. I think I will go Bras Basah buy next time since its cheaper.. hey u know which day of the month Practical Photography is released? I can only see it on the shelf ard middle to end of the month..

Xing said:

Xing said:

The usual price for Practical Photography is $13.50... most places sell it at that price, including those chain book stores like Times, MPH, Kino etc. I've never seen a $14.90 copy, not even at MPH in Raffles City.

Anyway $12 is cheap...

I use to read Amateur Photographer but Times stop bringing it in. Use to go at SGD8.

Status
Not open for further replies.