What Parameter Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DodoAngel

Jan 29, 2006
singapore
Haloz. I am quite new using the 20D. Just want to ask around what do u people usually set for parameters for the following:

-General Snapshots
-Group photos/Potraits
-Landscape

Please advice. Thanks.

My preferred settings

-General Snapshots
A mode, ~F2.8 in low light to F8 outdoor for best sharpness, tune ISO such that shutter speed not too low.

-Group photos/Potraits
Outdoor, Amode,group ~F4 or higher, to get DOF. portraits, some may like bokeh, then use small F, long focal length >>50mm. again, tune ISO such that shutter speed not too low.

Indoor, M mode, ~F4, ISO400, 1/30 to 1/80, shld be underexposed at times, use flash to illuminate subject

-Landscape
-Amode, F6.3 or smaller. ISO100 for daylight, night maybe 200-400(w tripod)

I use different setting for indoor. I prefer to use shutter speed of 1/80 and above. Since I am using flash, no problem even using faster shutter speed. At 1/60 and below still have possible small shakes to affect picture sharpness especially when you have moving subjects.

di0nysus said:
My preferred settings

-General Snapshots
A mode, ~F2.8 in low light to F8 outdoor for best sharpness, tune ISO such that shutter speed not too low.

-Group photos/Potraits
Outdoor, Amode,group ~F4 or higher, to get DOF. portraits, some may like bokeh, then use small F, long focal length >>50mm. again, tune ISO such that shutter speed not too low.

Indoor, M mode, ~F4, ISO400, 1/30 to 1/80, shld be underexposed at times, use flash to illuminate subject

-Landscape
-Amode, F6.3 or smaller. ISO100 for daylight, night maybe 200-400(w tripod)

oh thanks. but i was actually refering to the Parameters. The one that controls the Contrast, Colour Tone, Saturation etc. What do u normally use? Do u use the preset Parametes or do u use ur own for the various type of photograhpy? PLease advice. Thanks (",)

usually set to neutral for all.
but sharpness i go neg all the way.

any sharpening,
i use PS batch with USM.

better colour control,
imo.

jude

My 20D is always set to Parameter 2 (all neutral). I prefer to do the tweaking during post-processing instead.

I actually prefer setting the parameter just right for me (ie, neutral for sharpness) in the camera. Otheriwse have to spend a lot of time doing PS. I hope to make nice pictures straight out of camera, no post-processing. Like to train up taking pictures than editing pictures.

Contrast +1
Sharpness +1
Colour Saturation 0

Generally I feel that my images come up best with these settings. Colour saturation of +1 tends to overcook the colours slightly, especially the reds. Some shots benefit from slightly muted colours, so leave it at neutral and increase saturation later as needed later, rather than have the camera do it.

Neutral contrast tends to produce slightly flat images...can tweak in PS later but there's no harm in getting the camera to do it. Same with sharpness... canon's sharpening is pretty well controlled so you won't lose much detail either.

To use these setting you have to select custom parameters. And I use it for all my shots regardless of subject. I find it very versatile, and saves me the trouble of having to reset it shot to shot.

I supposed we should all just take the opinions here with a pinch of salt. Afterall we only told half the story. Without stating our camera models, lens in use and many other factors, one's opinion on setting his sharpness for example to -1 or +1 is not the gospel truth. I would reckon the owner with his L lens may decide on a different setting with an owner using a non L lens. Everything lens has their signature, and we may need to tweak our camera differently to complement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.