What ordinary foreigners (probably US) think of Singapore

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Singapore PM draws laughs in US speech

It is not polite to poke fun at another country (PRC) just to get a laugh in an official speech in US. It was in bad taste. And worse, the joke is a worn out second hand one. He should look for a new speech writer.

However, SG is well regarded by ordinary foreigners, judging by their comments.

Very little crime in Singapore due to the swift justice system. If you do the crime, the punishment is not put off for years with the government paying for your defense. Foreigners are only allowed to purchase a small percentage of land because they don't want them to have control of their country - We should take a lesson from them, instead of selling our country to the highest bidder! This country has gone from rags to riches and they know how to protect their country and their people.

I went to Singapore and loved it! The govt watches what you do, but it's clean, environmentally friendly, hardly ANY crimes! Just imagine walking at 12 at night back to your house with nothing to worry about! That's Singapore!​

They have the right to brag. Even US cannot match their progress and vision. I love that country.​

Lee Kwan Yew was one of the greatest leaders who consistently went for what was good for the people of Singapore rather than pander to people with narrow vested interests, or political correctness, or foreign interests. Countries will be so much better if the rest of us had such enlightened leaders.

Singapore was the cleanest nicest foreign city i have traveled to wonderful freindly people and the food courts brimming with everything omg it was so fun...i would go back in a second​

This is a true leader caring not about special interest but helping the people. The streets are clean and safe, the children are well mannered and education is a priority.​

I've been there,had a blast---You could walk around with thousand dollar bills, full display, and not worry about getting mugged at 2:00 am in the morning---Why so Safe,,,they do not tolerate any kind of stupidity or crime---Thy all speak English very well ,,which is mandatory in school..

Last edited:
wait.

well-behaved kids????

more like nerdy spoiled brats

Compared to the American kids, the local brats are tame.

After experiencing life working oversea for a few years now and travelling to various parts of the world, I can conclude that Singapore is a great country despite its shortfall.

wait.

well-behaved kids????

more like nerdy spoiled brats

Compared to American kids, we are very very well mannered and behaved. And we don't have guns on the streets.....

it is very much safer for women here in Singapore too. Women can walk down the street (outside of the seedy places) late in the evening or even late at night (1am? 2am) without being harassed or for fear of safety (which is why some women take safety for granted).

Men will not understand how much they take this kind of physical safety for granted...

I love this :

He then alluded to thousands of pig carcasses recently fished from Chinese rivers.

"(In) Shanghai, if you want some pork soup, you just turn on the tap," he said.

it is very much safer for women here in Singapore too. Women can walk down the street (outside of the seedy places) late in the evening or even late at night (1am? 2am) without being harassed or for fear of safety (which is why some women take safety for granted).

Men will not understand how much they take this kind of physical safety for granted...

Women, who are too used to SG must do well remember not to take this for granted when they are overseas.....

Also, local drivers should also be more careful when driving in foreign land....

After experiencing life working oversea for a few years now and travelling to various parts of the world, I can conclude that Singapore is a great country despite its shortfall.

Thank you for speaking up for Singapore, if you happen to be a foreigner. Yes, we do have our shortfalls and strength just like any other country. It is just how you view them and a personal preference.

The world would be a better place to stay if do allow people to express as long as their actions don't affect others. Ultimately, we are individual.

every one seems like to poke fun at one another.
even our PM is also doing that. LOL
sometime we must learn not to take things seriously. Just hv a good laugh. No big deal.
most probably he will poke fun of US too when he goes china. LOL

LHL is trying hard but he cant deliver a good punchline to save himself ....

Day5 in China:

- cant wait to use a Sg kopitiam toilet after days of using public toilets here
- i just had my china hp picked clean from my PANTS POCKET this afternoon. They're even more skilled thatn David Copperfield
- a couple more days without FB here in China and I should be addiction-free
- ok TWO good things.... I can smoke in taxis, restauraunts and in this Internet cafe
- and foot massages here are CHEAP !

Last edited:
LHL is trying hard but he cant deliver a good punchline to save himself ....

Day5 in China:

- i just had my china hp picked clean from my PANTS POCKET this afternoon. They're even more skilled thatn David Copperfield
- a couple more days without FB here in China and I should be addiction-free
- ok TWO good things.... I can smoke in taxis, restauraunts and in this Internet cafe

Careful...

Beware of them stealing your socks too during foot massage... :bsmilie:

Do you mean SG kopitiam toilet (in SG or in PRC?) much cleaner and better than the PRC ones?

What is cost of PRC foot massage in RMB and what is included in the whole (package)? Does the massage lady keep asking you whether you want "special"?

Last edited:
If the massage girl is pretty and you are willing, you may end up going home with weak feet. :bsmilie:

which leg need to be massaged? :bsmilie:

Singapore PM draws laughs in US speech

It is not polite to poke fun at another country (PRC) just to get a laugh in an official speech in US. It was in bad taste. And worse, the joke is a worn out second hand one. He should look for a new speech writer.

I think small Singapore has a long tradition of making fun and passing comments at other countries in the presence of its big brother. LHL is just continuing this tradition but I do not think this is the way for a small nation to conduct its foreign relations. When China becomes the no.1 country, LHL will be making fun of the US.
WikiLeaks cables: Singapore called India 'stupid', Japan 'a big fat loser' | NDTV.com
http://sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/418144

Last edited:

I always cat whistle and make wolf calls when kittens walked past me late at night.

Choo...choo....