What on earth?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

I was doing photography at a location.

Saw some China workers there (no offense...), boarding up one of the buildings.

He asked me what I was doing. Duh, I was shooting, very obviously holding camera.
So I just simply told him I was doing photography.
Then he said "You can't anyhow shoot, you need permit!"

I was like "huh????"

So I lied, say I was only "taking a few shots".

A short while later, the same stupid fella came out again "What are you doing?! Cannot take pics or we'll be in trouble. Go now or I call police!". :eek:

Come on!!!!!
Old shophouses slated for demolition, not some military camp or some big secret!!!!!
Who does he think he is?

And guess what?
I went to the front of the buildings, and continued to shoot (workers were round the back).
This man in a pickup truck came out, asked me (very confidently) what I was doing.
I said the same thing. He just smiled and went away. I had a very strong feeling he was the supervisor or foreman.

What on earth?!
Taking pics in public area!
Not as if taking pics in an army camp!!!

Oh well dude... just ignore them next time. Everyone with a camera is a possible terrorist.

There, 3 people asked me what I was doing. :bigeyes:

That stupid worker, the foreman and a shopkeeper.

That shopkeeper even said I can shoot him if I wanted. :bsmilie:

But back to the topic of the workers claiming I need permit or he'll call police.... ;(

Just continue what you're doing and say "You want to borrow my handphone to call or you wanna use your own phone?" :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

redstone said:
But back to the topic of the workers claiming I need permit or he'll call police.... ;(

just call the police immediately in front of them.. tell the police u felt threaten..

don't be afraid to call the police if you so feels threatened. usually these people wants to frigthen you into submission/giving up whatever you're doing. there's no law against taking pictures in public places except where its gazzetted security area or when told not to by police-officers. infact no building owners can demand that you stop your photo taking as facade of a building is deemed public. however, taking photos/pictures of buildings (private/public) for commercial gain requires approval from building owners.

I was standing in the alley.

The shophouses had been slated for demolition (been acquired by govt) and the workers are removing the fittings inside of one of the shophouses.

I've never ever heard that I need permit to shoot in public places.

But I will still go back one day hopefully I don't bump into the same stupid fella again.

hi redstone!

I think I know where were you shooting at. I went there on 26 Dec Monday afternoon and there were 2 Chinese workers nailing boards for the hoarding of the old shophouses. I went into one of the corner shop houses which is really badly in shape i.e. broken ceiling.

Then one of the Chinese workers, believed to be the foreman, called out at me and said it's dangerous to go into the house, the ceiling might tumble down. I smiled and apologised. I asked him abt the whole place. He answered that the whole place will be demolished by next year and some "residents" here will move out by end of the year. Then he walked off.

I continued to shoot and walked around the whole area for some nice interesting shots. Too bad I didn't see that shopkeeper that you mentioned. So far I was approached once. As I was abt to leave the place, I saw a green signboard that said "STATE LAND - NO TRESPASSING, NO DUMPING". I pondered alittle while and thought that I was lucky. Maybe becuz it was a public holiday and the 2 workers were "forced" to rush for the board work?

Well I still pretty much like to go back for some nice night shootings. Not really sure if I did, will that considered to be trespassing? Is it possible to obtain a permit from the respective authority to take pictures in the vicinity? And how do I go abt applying?

You take them too seriously.

redstone said:

He asked me what I was doing. Duh, I was shooting, very obviously holding camera.

I was like "huh????"

A short while later, the same stupid fella came out again "What are you doing?! Cannot take pics or we'll be in trouble. Go now or I call police!". :eek:

Come on!!!!!
Old shophouses slated for demolition, not some military camp or some big secret!!!!!
Who does he think he is?

And guess what?
I went to the front of the buildings, and continued to shoot (workers were round the back).
This man in a pickup truck came out, asked me (very confidently) what I was doing.
I said the same thing. He just smiled and went away. I had a very strong feeling he was the supervisor or foreman.

What on earth?!

Really? Where did you get this information from?

nova_nebula said:
however, taking photos/pictures of buildings (private/public) for commercial gain requires approval from building owners.

redstone said:

I was like "huh????"

Come on!!!!!
Who does he think he is?

And guess what?

What on earth?!
A smile, some respect to the workers, and soft speaking tone will help.

redstone said:

I was like "huh????"

Come on!!!!!
Who does he think he is?

And guess what?

What on earth?!
This is Singapore, not China.

A friend of mine wanted to take a photo at the place where he was having dinner in Suntec City.

Someone complained and told him that he was not allow to take pictures.

He was ordered by security to delete the pictures from his camera. He did it, but they still didn't believe him so they man-handled the camera until they were satisfied.

I swear, if anyone ever touches my camera like that I will call little india to come over.

Any name that photographers can go to for advice?

nova_nebula said:

Which restaurant was that? lets go try try hehhehehe

informer said:
A friend of mine wanted to take a photo at the place where he was having dinner in Suntec City.

Someone complained and told him that he was not allow to take pictures.

He was ordered by security to delete the pictures from his camera. He did it, but they still didn't believe him so they man-handled the camera until they were satisfied.

I swear, if anyone ever touches my camera like that I will call little india to come over.

vince123123 said:
Which restaurant was that? lets go try try hehhehehe
Lets go for a dinner and take photos at different hours, different days, and everytime get someone else to call up the security, until the security realize that taking dinner photos is the norm, not the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.