what Notebook HDD for CompactDrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
what's the best notebook hardisk should I get for the CompactDrive portable storage device? I am thinking of getting a 40GB one, but not sure which one is good.

What are the things that I should consider when getting a hardisk? Price is of course one of the factor (hence the 40GB and not 80GB).

What's the brand and specs of the hardisk that eastgear bundled with their PD7X? How many years warranty for the HDD?

if you've a notebook, suggest you buy a good and fast hdd for it and use the one from your notebook for the PD7X. PD7X is not that fast and any old 4200rpm HD will do.

Thanks nova, that's a good suggestion. Makes me now think if I should get a 80GB 7200RPM for my notebook, and use the 40GB inside for the PD70X that I am going to get soon. :)

Hi Kho King

I am not sure whether it is true or not but I heard that 7200rpm harddisk drains out the battery power very fast. Maybe you should take that into consideration. However, if you are always plug-in, it should be ok. I love the speed of 7200rpm harddisks compared to 5400rpm. Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,

-bire :)

Personally, I will only get Hitachi (was previously IBM) HDDs.

some hdd have 3 years warranty, anybody know which?

Depend if speed or battery life is more important {after price}.

The manual (download from www.compactdrive.com) states that the cache size determines speed more than RPM. But if all is equal, then faster RPM drains more batt.

Most HDD have 2 versions of cache sizes: 2MB & 8MB. Get the 8MB if you can afford it, but stick to 4200RPM to extend batt life.

Or if speed is prefered, get the 8MB 5400RPM (or 7200RPM if available) but expect your batt life to be shorter.

In all cases, I suspect the difference will be within seconds of each other for speed. But the $$$ goes up quite a bit. Batt life is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.