What (Nikon/3rd party) lens should I get for plane spotting?

yapple

Aug 23, 2009
Hi all,

Think I should be considered as a newbie, since I'm still confused over some simple stuff, even though I've been using a really old and not really good Olympus DSLR for a few years now.

I'm planning to get a Nikon D7000 soon...was wondering which telephoto zoom lens should i get for my plane-spotting purposes? (searched around for some threads related to this, but can't really find what i want) (budget for kit 2 + lens should not cost more 3.5k?- I'm still a student, can't afford something that is too expensive) I'm also into travel photography (that's why I wanted the kit II), but don't think that's important.

1) 55-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX
2) 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR
or should i get the
3) Tamron 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD (nikon mount), which people commented that it may even be better than the Nikkor lenses? (And is this sold in Singapore? I've asked around a few shops a while ago, they told me no)

Which lens would be the most affordable and specific to my needs (fast focus, VR, and other stuff) and yet produce decent images at the ~250-300m mark?

Cheers, been troubled over this issue for quite a while, and wasn't too sure how should I ask about this on this forum, as I'm still quite confused with some terms)

Last edited:
Have you read the reviews? It's a really simple thing to do as a first step...

Have you read the reviews? It's a really simple thing to do as a first step...

Of course I have :rolleyes:(most of the reviews are generally centered around wildlife/bird photography-not too sure whether plane-spotting will fall into the same category as them)...I've actually spent a few weeks/months researching on Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses suitable for my needs before narrowing down to Nikon and these 3 lenses and posting this question here. (Maybe the way i phrase my question makes it seem like I'm lazy to read reviews myself?)

I'm not one waiting to be spoon-fed with answers. But i do not really want to waste my hard earned cash only to find that it's not really suitable for me when I'm undecided on 3 lenses.

Last edited:
I have used both :
Nikon AFS 55-300 cost only $400+ is a great lens but it become very slow and hard to focus at the tele end of 300 which u need to take note.
nikon AFS 70-300 is good and fast for focusing even at tele end of 300

Not sure abt tarmon lens .. didn't use it b4

if i were u.. i will get nikon afs 70-300 cos of it fast focusing cos u can't afford to lost focusing suddenly when u trying to capture moving object at the tele-end
Another suggestion is to rent the lens and try it hands-on before u decide ...

Other than 55-300mm which I won't recommend, the other two are pretty ok. The tamron lens is pretty new and had been receiving good feedback from fellow forumers here.

I personally own the 70-300mm VR, for a beginner lens & shooting daylight outdoor. Its performance is great. I think it will do well for the purpose you are shooting.

If you are really short on cash, you might want to consider a 2nd hand 55-200mm VR from nikon. The price is great for it's reach and you can easily resell it at the price you paid for.

Cheers all, thanks for all the insights. Further read up on some reviews....and my mind's made up. Decided to go for the Nikkor 70-300VR. Also did some price check and the d7k kit +lens cost around 2.7k.

Cheers!

Last edited: