what next????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonRonR

Dec 1, 2008
i am thinking of buying one of these things to be added to my gear list, a flashgun, a tripod or a micro lens. i own a D40 with 18-55 and a 55-200VR. what do you guys think???

Which do you think you will use the most?

If you don't take indoor shots much, a flash would be useless. If you don't do macro shots, a micro lens would be useless. Likewise if you don't do long exposure shots or take group pictures with yourself in it, a tripod will be pretty useless too...

So you have to see what you need and buy accordingly... :)

Don't buy a macro lens for the sake of buying one. Try closeup filters for the kit lens, because that gets closer. You have to think how often you'd use the macro (usually a prime lens) A nice prime lens would be nice like a 50mm f1.4 or a sigma 30mm f1.4. Low light photography.

Tripod isn't especially fun to lug around IMO. What of your gear is restricting you now?

i am thinking of buying one of these things to be added to my gear list, a flashgun, a tripod or a micro lens. i own a D40 with 18-55 and a 55-200VR. what do you guys think???

go take more picture and find what you like then buy equipment which can help you on what you like.

if you take lots of portrait and you like natural lights and not flash then some fast primes (or zoom if you got the $$$) will be next.
if you want to do wedding photo business, a good flash and external battery will help.
if you are one of those who got tons of patience (and time) to hunt for spider and other creepy crawlers then get a macro lense.
if you are a control freak then invest in studio equipment and soft box
er .. wan to consider dry box also to protect your investment from fungus?

Last edited:
I guess the most requiste equipment will be a tripod and a flash unit 1st... Followed by changing to a new set of good lens (F2.8). :)

Just a suggestion...

I found a fast prime (50mm f1.8 or 1.4) extremely helpful after the kit lens. Your mileage may vary thou. Also, since you're using the D40, you may want to wait till the new Nikkor AF-S 50mm arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.