What makes you opt for other brand instead of Canon or Nikon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
Since the start of the digital age, Canon and Nikon (with the exception of the now defunct Minolta) are the dominating brand of DSLR market.

Have always been puzzled by the reasons behind those who choose other brands instead of Nikon or Canon. Apart from the reason of already operating a lens system that remains from their Film SLR days, interested to know what other reasons sway their decision away from Nikon and Canon?
I know there is no right or wrong in choosing a particular system, just plain curiosity thats all. Hope Fellow Csers will share their thoughts here.:)

Before the digital age, Canon and Nikon were already market leaders in SLR and it is not surprising that they maintain this position till today. Both have the market share advantage of wide availablity of lenses. Do you thik it is easy to beat Canon and Nikon if you are a making camera?

Before the digital age, Canon and Nikon were already market leaders in SLR and it is not surprising that they maintain this position till today. Both have the market share advantage of wide availablity of lenses. Do you thik it is easy to beat Canon and Nikon if you are a making camera?

Honestly, no offence to you morningstar, what I am interested to know are the reasons anyone choose to use DSLR of other brand instead of a Nikon or Canon, and not why Nikon and Canon are leaders in DSLR/SLR market.

Relax man..It's kind of out of topic

Same reason why people choose to drive a Mazda or BMW or Porsche instead of Toyota or Nissan or Honda.

a. Just to be different (eg Pentax)

b. To get possibly better luxury/quality (eg Leica, Contax)

Wai Leong
===

Opss...Never read the title properly. My bad. :bsmilie:

If i ever get something else, it gonna be because of the feature:price ratio. :bsmilie:

price is a factor,so too are the features like pentax's n Sony's built in SR N SSS.

1) Like to be different.
2) Enjoy seeing the expression on my friends' faces when they see my pictures and hear what camera I'm using.
3) The in-build Image Stabilizer on the body.
4) Sentimental value - started wih this brand since I got my first camera

For people who dares to be different and dare to face the "problem". As the user group is small, getting help might be the "problem". Or being Trick/Attract by the "special" features.

best bang per buck.. Pentax K10D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And (some) Pentax lenses hav solid IQ.

use AA batteries :bsmilie:

Value (in terms of quality and features) for money.

I chose Pentax because:

Pentax *istD (my first dSLR camera) was the smallest/lightest and the only SLR camera that took AA batteries when it came to the market.
Only Pentax got thhose cool little pancake AF lenses.
Pentax got some best prime lenses, especially those Limited ones.
Not so many here use Pentax (so I'd be abit different from the rest ;))

Go and get a Pentax, your life will become Pentastic :D

Bang.
For.
Buck.

And honestly, other than the huge lens collecion and second-hand market and all that, Canon and Nikon have no real edge over the rest these days in terms of body and even lens quality. In fact, most of the less popular brands, e.g. Pentax, Sony, Olympus, are offering so much more for a much lower price.

I chose my K100D because I didn't need anything more than 6 MGP, and as far as I was concerned D40 should be avoided like the blazes; IS, good image quality and color, user-friendliness (I just saw a 400D's interface and menus and boy, I realise how lucky I am to have the much more understanding K100D interface/menu), good build and feel. And of course, the awesome price and the relatively good kit lens.

Pentastic indeed! +)

This problem is only in Singapore, with regards to wide availability of lens.

Go elsewhere, and you'll see how different the situation is. Sure, Canon and Nikon still are the frontrunners, but the disparity isn't so great.

Things are changing though, especially since the latest offerings from all the relative underdog brands have been pretty solid, causing C/N to pale in comparison. :) Which spells good for all non C/N users!

if sony, pentax, olympus and etc. make 400 f2.8, 500f4, 600f4, 200-400f4 etc. kind of lens, i wont hesitate to use their system. but the thing is, they dun. so i m stuck with only 2 choice, nikon and canon. as simple as that.

if sony, pentax, olympus and etc. make 400 f2.8, 500f4, 600f4, 200-400f4 etc. kind of lens, i wont hesitate to use their system. but the thing is, they dun. so i m stuck with only 2 choice, nikon and canon. as simple as that.

Isn't Sigma and Tamron..etc manufacturing such lenses for those mounts? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.