What makes an interesting photograph?

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

As a just starting out newbie in photography, I’ve often pondered this question. Do you guys think that any subject can make an interesting photograph, as long as the composition and other elements are good? Or there just subjects that are not worth photographing?

For example, when I travel overseas and am walking around with my camera, sometimes I stop at a spot and try to figure out if I can shoot it in an interesting way. I wonder if I’m just wasting my time if the subject itself is not worth shooting.

first you must have a content in your picture,

than you use whatever you know about photography to enrich the content.

a photo with good content but poorly executed will still stand,
a photo without a content, will be forgotten soon or later.

Is it normal that after walking around for a whole day shooting, only 10-20% of the actual photos have an interesting content?

This may also depend on how much thought you put into every click.. I can go on a shooting spree (shoot at anything that moves) at ~200 shots for the afternoon, but after selection/post processing, only left with 20-40. Keeper rate of 10-20%.

There are times that you delete ALL of that day's work...

I normally don’t have time to shoot photos while in Singapore, all of my shooting is done when travelling overseas on business.

When you’re overseas, everything looks interesting. I try my best to put thought into composition, exposure, and framing for every shot, but probably only 10-20% of the photos are worth showing to others.

On the one hand, I want to take a lot of photos as memories of the place, but on the other hand I want every shot I take to be good and interesting. I guess that’s an impossible task. Do you guys ever think to yourself – is this shot worth taking or not? Or do you just snap first and decide later?

if you have the luxury of thinking before shooting, why not...Just that those that I've taken overseas are on packaged tour where time is scarce, so "snap first, choose later"

It's hard to get a 1 shot 1 kill for all shots, not impossible...

Is it normal that after walking around for a whole day shooting, only 10-20% of the actual photos have an interesting content?
what is an interesting subject?

interesting subject is everywhere, some are more easy spotted, some are not, some can present at it is, some need more efforts to work on it.

for an example, a little girl sitting on the floor play toys is an interesting subject, 10 photographers will shoot in 10 different ways, the results is some are interesting, some are not.

It really depends on your audience.
Broadly, there are 2 basic ways a photograph can interest a viewer -- visual appeal & content. An image can have 1 or both (viewer dependent) or none (in which case you can dump it)

Visual / aesthetic appeal -- you might have seen photos of everyday objects that we'd normally take for granted, but shot with an interesting composition or light that make the image interesting (this is subjective of course, and what is appealing to one may not be to another)

Content -- these are images that tell a story and evoke an emotional response. Prime examples can be found in the world of photojournalism (esp war photos). But also images that appeal only to a select audience e.g. an ordinary photo of a toddler crawling around will prob seem beautiful to its mother.

In your travel photography example, it can be one of the above or both. Most casual travel snaps only mean something to the people involved ("I was there!"). Or you can go for more aesthetic appeal and look out for great composition and lighting (normally this pisses off you non-photog travelling comapnions).
One thing to note though -- in search of great images, enthusiastic photogs sometimes forget to take the ordinary 'keepsake' photos (and often forget to include themselves in photos!). If it's a holiday, take some time to take a few of those -- they'll bring back memories in years to come :)

for most of the guys in the forum, an interesting picture is made up of a scantily-clad model in suggestive poses.

kei1309 said:
for most of the guys in the forum, an interesting picture is made up of a scantily-clad model in suggestive poses.

If it is a gif, that would be better.

I have been following this thread cos i have the same thought as TS but somehow is went super OT. -_-"

zzyzx said:
I have been following this thread cos i have the same thought as TS but somehow is went super OT. -_-"

Yes, that's a pity. Hope TS can get it back on track.