What makes a good portrait lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circus1

Jun 14, 2006
Am looking for one to use with my D70s

Thanks

50mm :) - the most affordable and value for money one...

Am looking for one to use with my D70s

Thanks

I would use one of these:
85mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.4
105mm f/2 DC
50mm f/1.8 (I only use this mostly in the studio/indoors. I don't quite like the background rendering of this lens outdoors.)

BC

I used to own a 85mm f1.4. I think it might not be as good as the 85mm f1.8.... Reason being is I find the DOF at f1.4 too thin sometimes. Most of the time I shoot at f2. The f1.4 lens is heavier and more expensive. Furthermore, at f1.4, the 85mm has serious fringing issues at the OOF areas.

I think might as well get the f1.8....

I like the focal length of 85mm though. 50mm is too short....

erm.. isnt the TS asking what MAKES a good portrait lens, ie. stuff like rounded aperture blades/more blades?
and not what IS a good portrait lens?

personally I feel the most impt thing is the focal length. 85mm and 50mm and 105mm is quite different. This is impt to me mainly because of the background. Using a telelens makes the background looks more life size compared to the subject. Basically I don't like the big human small background tree effect :)

Next is the DOF which is set by your aperture.

Finally is rendition of the out of focus areas. The nikkor 85mm f1.4 has quite pronounced fringing which is very distracting.

any of the lense listed below are good for portrait

24 f2.8 + 35mm f2 + 50mm f1.8
80-200mm f2.8 + Nikon D1H

The reason I ask is I read personal reviews on Tamron 90mm being 'too sharp' , is that the characteristic of a Macro/Micro lens?

Planar T* 1.4/85 ZF

but no metering

wah this one pricey :X

My personal vote goes to 85mm F1.4. It should convince all would be rebels to return to the dark side.

Q : What makes a good portrait lens?
A : Price! :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

My vote also goes out to the 85mm f/1.4 ;p :lovegrin:

if price is really factor

Q : What makes a good portrait lens?
A : Price! :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

My vote also goes out to the 85mm f/1.4 ;p :lovegrin:

if price is really factor

"Yi Fen Chian, Yi Fen Huo" = One gets what one pays for mah :bsmilie:
The really goot lenses dun come cheap leh. :cry:

If price is a concern, I think the 85mm f/1.8 is worth every cent that you spend on it.

Another lens I find to be good for portraits is the Tamron 90mm.

BC

I would use one of these:
85mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.4
105mm f/2 DC
50mm f/1.8 (I only use this mostly in the studio/indoors. I don't quite like the background rendering of this lens outdoors.)

BC
sorry why did u use 2 85mm lens? any different? beside the F...;)

Speaking from non digital expericence, 105mm is the ideal length with a slightly soft filter. But since you're on digital, chose from 85 to 105mm with the fastest f-stop you can afford. Always use prime if you can afford.
The rest is left to how artistic you are and good lighting angles.

My personal vote goes to 85mm F1.4. It should convince all would be rebels to return to the dark side.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=239790&highlight=85mm

you call the above good bokeh meh? I think people recommend a lot of stuff without telling the downsides. I did not know about the fringing issue until AFTER I bought the 85mm f1.4

The fringing issue discourages me from shooting at f1.4 with that lens. And if you buy a f1.4 lens, and cannot shoot at f1.4....:dunno:

just a note to newbies who are thinking of buying that lens

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=239790&highlight=85mm

you call the above good bokeh meh? I think people recommend a lot of stuff without telling the downsides. I did not know about the fringing issue until AFTER I bought the 85mm f1.4

The fringing issue discourages me from shooting at f1.4 with that lens. And if you buy a f1.4 lens, and cannot shoot at f1.4....:dunno:

just a note to newbies who are thinking of buying that lens

i have it and i shoot at f2 unless i'm desparate for the extra light.

if u buy the 85/1.8 u think u can shoot at 1.8? can is sure can lar, but would u like to? maybe u should go try it out.

actually the 85s from nikon aren't too drastic yet.

try the 50/1.4 vs the 50/1.8. even bigger difference imo. sharpness, bokeh, construction, u name it.

to me, all the 1.4 versions are far superior. the only thing to decide for each individual is whether the superiority is worth the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.