what make a good B and W photograph??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bokeh1.8

Jul 6, 2006
just as the title says, what do you think makes a good black and white photograph?? what type of colour range should it contain to make it good?? Just curious of this question.. :dunno: hope you guys can help me out on this one.. Thanks in advance!

It depends on individual. There is no specific good or bad black & white photos. What I feel is good, others may think otherwise. It is more important that the photos can convey whatever story/message/ideas you want to show.

ehm a BW photo does not have colour....
A balanced BW photo should have greys that range from deep black to bright white whithout blowing the highlights and also without drowning in too much black. But there is of course always the exception to the rule. There are brilliant BW photo that live entirely in medium grey to white.

Thats a tough question. For me, I like BW in general because of the classic feel it lends to the picture. But if you ask what makes a good BW picture? I would say it would still depend on the composition of the pic.

I'm starting to shoot B&W film recently...
Shooting in film made me think carefully before pressing the shutter.
it taught me patience and meditation.

Going on my 2nd roll now. :)

one of my favourites from my 1st roll

#not a shortcut
F1010032.jpg

I'm starting to shoot B&W film recently...

F1010032.jpg

Nice attempt! :cool:

A word of advise from this old 'sifu'. Your image lacks shadow details and is too contrasty. Try placing your shadows between Zone III and Zone IV. Also, printing it on a Grade 1 or 2 paper.

Next time if you encounter such contrastly scene again, I suggest that you try developing the film 15~20% less than the recommended time (that is approximately N-1) at a water temperature of 75 degree F.

Nice attempt! :cool:

A word of advise from this old 'sifu'. Your image lacks shadow details and is too contrasty. Try placing your shadows between Zone III and Zone IV. Also, printing it on a Grade 1 or 2 paper.

Next time if you encounter such contrastly scene again, I suggest that you try developing the film 15~20% less than the recommended time (that is approximately N-1) at a water temperature of 75 degree F.

I don't develop it by myself. Haven't learn how to do it. :cry:
sifu want to teach me? :angel:
I did some contrast enhancement from the original scanned film slide.

How about this original one sifu? :embrass:
F1010032-1.jpg

"Digital is the Devil'. Since you are using film, why don't you print instead of scan?

Arrrgh!!!! I hate these scanned B&W images. None of them is what I will call an authentic B&W image.

How do I show u if I don't even scan it?
I scan it 1st simply because the printing of B/W is very expensive ($1.80/4R),
so by scanning I get to choose to print the one that decent enough to be printed out.
just trying to save cost here. :embrass:

It is good to know that there are people like you who are still interested in shooting black-and-white on film. In order to harness the true beauty of B&W film photography, you must print your images on monochrome paper. Also, it is absolutely essential to learn how to meter your scene. The Zone System is one such method.

It is good to know that there are people like you who are still interested in shooting black-and-white on film. In order to harness the true beauty of B&W film photography, you must print your images on monochrome paper. Also, it is absolutely essential to learn how to meter your scene. The Zone System is one such method.

ouw okai... understood, sifu.
thx for the inputs. :thumbsup:

ouw okai... understood, sifu.
thx for the inputs. :thumbsup:

Another word of advise.

Go to your regional library or Riceball at Adelphi to take a look at those black-and-white photography books from world-reknown 'sifus'. Notice where they place the shadows and highlights in their masterpieces.

Now look at your own images. Ask yourself if you are to photograph the scene again, where will you place your shadows and highlights. Then, improve yourself from there. That was how I learned B&W photography 29 years ago.

Another word of advise.

Go to your regional library or Riceball at Adelphi to take a look at those black-and-white photography books from world-reknown 'sifus'. Notice where they place the shadows and highlights in their masterpieces.

Now look at your own images. Ask yourself if you are to photograph the scene again, where will you place your shadows and highlights. Then, improve yourself from there. That was how I learned B&W photography 29 years ago.

any particular B/W books to recommend? :what:

any particular B/W books to recommend? :what:

Books by any 'sifu' will do. BUT never missed those from Ansel Adams. He is the grand 'sifu' of black-and-white photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.