What made you choose Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Yup, what made you choose a Nikon system? What is it about the other brands that you do not like?

Air your views here. No flames please. There's a similar thread in the other equipment forums. :)

Regards
CK

Let me start by telling my own story.

17 years ago....my first SLR was a my dad's Minolta X700, with a 35-70mm zoom. It was a great camera, and I used it for about 4 years before I wanted to upgrade.

At that time I felt that the best manual focus camera was Nikon's FE2, because it has 1/4000 sec shutter speed, flash sync 1/250 sec, aperture priority, multiple-exposure capability, DOF preview, self timer and TTL flash. It was the only camera with all the features I was looking for, and was able to afford.

However, FE2 has already been discontinued by the time I realised that it is the camera I want. So I have no choice but to buy it second hand.

Anyone know a second hand camerashop at Orchard point? The owner' name is "Goh Kin". I bought my FE2 and my favourite 80-200 f/4.5 from him.

I do not dislike the other brands. The main reason for continuing with Nikon was that I was satisfied with the results, and it is always easier to upgrade on the exisiting system than to get an entirely new system.

That's my stiry.

Thanks!

Roy

Cause it's the best, of the best, of the best! :D

But honestly, it just felt right in my hands. Tired other camera systems.. something just wasn't right. They were either too light, or too plastic, or too quiet. With a Nikon in hand, i felt like i was serious about photography, and that it could stand the tests i was about to impose upon it.

That one-year old camera has since taken 50-odd rolls, been trekking up from the humid jungles of Malaysia to the sandy outback of Australia, to the shopping districts of Hong Kong & Thailand and hasn't given me a single problem.

Why Nikon???

1)Built quality of their pro n semi-pro camera bodies are solid
2)Entry level camera bodies feel plastiky but do their job.
3)Logical controls, clean layout
4)No gimmicky fuzzy logic features which one NEVER uses
or is a real pain to use.
5)Good optics
6)Black lens barrels
7)Good aftersales service at Nikon Service Centre

:bwhat:

bought a pentax z-10 long, long ago (when i was clueless). the camera gave the user basically no information whatsoever. so i guess all i could do was learn composition with it rather than technical cameras skills.

after a few years, the next generation of AF cameras came out and I eventually got the F70. I suppose one big reason I got a nikon was that Galen Rowell, Dewitt Jones etc all used Nikon and were raving about how brilliant Nikon's day-light balanced fill flash with compensation ('dial in -1.7 was Galen's recommendation')was. Also even the pop-up flash of a F70 could do that......

I have never needed to use the Nikon aftersales service or service centre so I don't know how good they are :)

p.s. So the Pentax Z-10 sat in a drybox for a long time, and amazingly, it still works. I passed it to a friend recently whos using it now. So I have no complaints about pentax reliability either.

p.p.s strictly speaking my first camera was a kodak 110 format camera [the tiny little one with fixed lens and fixed shutter speed [well it actually had 2 shutter speeds] with the cool disposable flash bulbs. I think it cost $30? Does that indicate my age? :)

Originally posted by kongg
Why Nikon???

1)Built quality of their pro n semi-pro camera bodies are solid

To be perfectly fair to the "other" brand, their pro cameras are solid.

2)Entry level camera bodies feel plastiky but do their job.

Not really a distinguishing factor in my opinion. So do the toys that are the EOS 300, and the equivalent offerings from Minolta and Pentax.

3)Logical controls, clean layout

You can get used to anything. On this front, a Canon user will swear by his stuff. As will a Minolta user. As will a Nikon user. But you can get used to anything.

4)No gimmicky fuzzy logic features which one NEVER uses

Actually, the only incident I know of fuzzy logic being employed in camera design is in the F5 and F100 (including the D1 series) that have the 30 000 scenes stored in the memory and use fuzzy logic to interpret the scene you're pointing at to one of those 30k.

But I get what you mean, and amen to that.

5)Good optics

Minolta, Canon et al also produce good optics.

6)Black lens barrels

Amen. But Canon also makes a lot of their lenses black as do Minolta. How many of your personal lens collection would be white if it were in a different brand?

7)Good aftersales service at Nikon Service Centre

*Shudder* NPS or not, I've just had horribly poor service. It took them 5 working days to find someone to put payment through before they could return my camera. That's 5 working days AFTER the camera was fixed, sitting around on the shelf, because someone couldn't find 5 minutes to put through a credit card. And this is NPS service too, imagine normal service... and yes I must have rung numerous times...

Other brands have good service too I'm sure. Although only N and C offer "true" pro service, but based on this latest experience, how good NPS really is is anybody's guess.

So now that I've eliminated virtually every one of kongg's points (am not singleing -sp?- you out kongg... all very tongue in cheek; I hate C**** as much as the next man :bsmilie: ) exactly why am I a Nikon user?

I haven't a clue. Moral of the story, we all pick one brand and use it. If it helps us take good pictures then brilliant.

Oh, actually I can think of one very good reason. I wouldn't have a 400mm lens if I were using Canon or Minolta.

Originally posted by rochkoh
Cause it's the best, of the best, of the best! :D

But honestly, it just felt right in my hands. Tired other camera systems.. something just wasn't right. They were either too light, or too plastic, or too quiet. With a Nikon in hand, i felt like i was serious about photography, and that it could stand the tests i was about to impose upon it.

have you feel a Dynax 9 before??

I migrated to Nikon back in the mid 70s from the equally horrible Zenit and Practika bodies I was using. I needed a camera with mirror lockup for astrophotography so went the Nikon route as I didn't overly like the ergonomics of the Kwanon and Olympus bodies of the time.

By the time Kwanon got around to introducing AF in the mid-late 80s, some years I might note after Nikon pioneered professional AF with the F3AF I was so entrenched with irreplacable big glass that moving was not an option.

There are other reasons why I've stuck with Nikon and the most critical reasons are:

Backwards Compatiblity
- Apart from Nikon only Minolta has an almost fully backwards compatible lenses on their professional bodies.

Comprehensive System
- When taken as a whole Nikon has the most comprehensive system ever developed in the 35mm format.

However when all is said and done it doesn't matter which system you use as how you use it is the critical factor in making good work.

Originally posted by Jed

Actually, the only incident I know of fuzzy logic being employed in camera design is in the F5 and F100 (including the D1 series) that have the 30 000 scenes stored in the memory and use fuzzy logic to interpret the scene you're pointing at to one of those 30k.

Good aftersales service at Nikon Service Centre

Oh, actually I can think of one very good reason. I wouldn't have a 400mm lens if I were using Canon or Minolta.

Erm I think you'll find the F4 uses similar fuzzy logic to the F5 except it's not in colour. a 30K database of EV values is compared and the best fit is used when using Matrix Metering.

Nikon UK are dragging the chain with NPS again I see :(

Very true on the 400mm Jed, I wouldn't be using some of my lenses if it wasn't for the backwards compatibility of the system. It's a real strength to be able to drop almost any lens made in the past 25 years on a body. (more like 40 years if you happen to use the F4 ;)

Plus of course there's the forwards lens compatibility that allows an F3 for example to use AFS lenses.

me ?

ok, when I was using some "reward" money from my O'levels to buy my SLR, I went to Alex photo and The Camera Work shop. At that time I was using the minolta XG-1 given to me by my uncle.

Alex photo proposed a Nikon F90 with a sigma lens
The Camera WorkShop proposed a Canon EOS5 with can't remember what lens. The setup from Alex was within my budget, hence I'm into Nikon since then.

But as a stupid begineer, I nearly bought a Sigma SA300 because it offered the best bang for the buck. I still studder thinking about that today :p

among my consideration was the Nikon F50, EOS100

rgs

Originally posted by Ian

Erm I think you'll find the F4 uses similar fuzzy logic to the F5 except it's not in colour. a 30K database of EV values is compared and the best fit is used when using Matrix Metering.

Plus of course there's the forwards lens compatibility that allows an F3 for example to use AFS lenses.

F4 allows Matrix with AI and AI-S lenses too! With the F5 and F100 you drop back to center-weighted.

Oh, be careful of the G lenses, the next new 70-200mm f/2.8 is G!

Since I started the thread, here's my story. Good to see no flames so far. :D

Started out about 16 years ago in the schools photography club. The 1st SLR I used back then was the Canon AE-1 Program with a FD 50mm f/1.8 and a Tamron 70-210 f/3.8 (I think). The school also had a Nikon FG with a Tokina 35-70 and the Nikkor 80-200 AIS.

I continued borrowing the cameras from school as I didn't have money to buy my own. Back then, my dream camera was the Nikon F3 and FE2. And from the "dark side", the F1. And back then, Cathay is always promoting the Practikas and Zenits with Carl Zeiss lenses, which I thankfully did not get (almost did).

Then in Sec 4, my parents bought me a used FE. In the shop, I had the choice of the FE, FM and F3 (wow, way out of my parent's budget). Lenses wise, I was to choose from the Nikkor 43-86 (which again thankfully I did not get) and the Tamron 35-70 f3.5. Ended up with the Tamron as it had a macro mode which I thought I might use.

I used it for the next 14 years or so, though it was mainly a my stagnant period. I shot only when I travel, or when my friends asked to help them shoot their ROM, wedding, etc. 2+ years ago, I bought the Coolpix 950, one of the best 2.1 megapixel cameras back then. (the other contender was the C2020Z but I did not want Smartmedia).

That revived my photographic interest enough to buy a SB28 flash (so that I can use it on both cameras, and future Nikon bodies), a 20mm lens for a trip last year. Soon outgrew consumer digital cameras and bought a F100 last year since I can't afford (and still can't) any of the D1 series.

So why did I choose Nikon? Well, no particular reason. Just that I started out with it, so I continued using it as I have no problems with it.

Regards
CK

CK,

Yes you can, D1s are going to stupid prices nowadays - read: F100 prices.

Ian,

It gets worse... I've got a new banding problem with the D1 now, I'm going to call up on Monday and make hell. Aside from sorting out the new problem FOC and getting a loaner this time, I'm not sure what other nonsense I can scream for... but I'm sure going to try! Will probably hold the camera for the England game on Weds first, having a 300/2.8 brought up from the office so I can use two cameras properly, and will take care to ensure I actually HAVE a second body in my possession this time...

Originally posted by Jed

Ian,

It gets worse... I've got a new banding problem with the D1 now, I'm going to call up on Monday and make hell. Aside from sorting out the new problem FOC and getting a loaner this time, I'm not sure what other nonsense I can scream for... but I'm sure going to try! Will probably hold the camera for the England game on Weds first, having a 300/2.8 brought up from the office so I can use two cameras properly, and will take care to ensure I actually HAVE a second body in my possession this time...

Jed,
I think it's time NPS started paying the courier fees if they aren't doing so already. A nice well tempered explosion at the head of Nikon UK probably won't go astray as there's nothing like getting the boss involved to get things fixed properly. I'd also be tempted to point out that their reputation is on the line over this matter. ;)

Etc?

After my time with that camera (and AFAIK no one else on this forum has used the camera extensively) I think I'm qualified to speak. The camera really doesn't have too many problems. After all I wouldn't have bought one back otherwise.

About the only serious problems are:

[1] Inconsistent flash exposure.
[2] Effective ISO range of 200-800.
[3] That's it.

As to [1], it is a pain yes, but I lived with it well enough. As to [2], at ISO 800 it still beats Press 800, and I don't hear anyone not getting the D60 because it's maximum ISO is only 1000.
But we've been through this discussion, in your position you're probably better off sticking to film for the moment definitely.

Originally posted by Jed
Etc?

After my time with that camera (and AFAIK no one else on this forum has used the camera extensively) I think I'm qualified to speak. The camera really doesn't have too many problems. After all I wouldn't have bought one back otherwise.

About the only serious problems are:

[1] Inconsistent flash exposure.
[2] Effective ISO range of 200-800.
[3] That's it.

As to [1], it is a pain yes, but I lived with it well enough. As to [2], at ISO 800 it still beats Press 800, and I don't hear anyone not getting the D60 because it's maximum ISO is only 1000.
But we've been through this discussion, in your position you're probably better off sticking to film for the moment definitely.

No issue with the max ISO, more of the flash. I am now too used to the 3D balanced fill flash thingie on my F100/SB28 to accept anything less. :p

Think I'll stick with film for now. Need to maximize my investment.

Regards
CK

I would be more interested to know if,

a) anyone regretted their decision, and if so, what are you going to do about it. :)

b) what made you not choose the Nikon SLR system?

Originally posted by ninelives

a) anyone regretted their decision, and if so, what are you going to do about it. :)

I have not regretted my decision yet. But what I'd like to know is:

What do you NOT like about your current system?

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ninelives

Ahh the troll is back I see.

Well in 26 years I've yet to regret the move over to Nikon.

As for the other 3 major Japanese Systems, here's some reasons why I wouldn't touch em with a bargepole...

Pentax - No longer makes any professional bodies in 35mm having given up and concentrated on their amateur and medium format pro gear.

Kwanon - Nothing against it but its an ergonomic mess for me.

Minolta - Great lenses, shite bodies. The dynax 7 and 9 both have bad reputations when used professionally. The few pros that use them tend to junk em after a year or two as the shutters give up the ghost and the bodies self destruct under professional use. A distinct lack of professional support seals their fate for me as a system worth serious consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.