What made you choose Minolta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Yup, what made you choose a Minolta system? What is it about the other brands that you do not like?

Air your views here. No flames please. There's a similar thread in the other equipment forums. :)

Regards
CK

well...let me see... i m using a minolta 700si..i pay less and i get more?¿ hehehe...anyway, i guess its the built, metering and i guess if u were to compare it with the other brands, u pay less but get much more...jus my personal opinion
:D

I find that Minolta cameras are very user friendly. Once you touch or feel it, you already know how to operate.

For Nikon and Canon, they buttons layout are messy.

Compare them next time if you got a chance.

Also, I pay a reasonable price for a good body. Not just for the label.

Well... for me... when I bought the D5... there's not much choice market that is within the same "class" Then... most 3 megapix cameras were designed as compact cameras.... I want something larger for me to hold, something with lots of manual control and external control (Sony505v's menu system is too tough...) Tho there may not be a swivel LCD, I still have a swivel EVF... I I needed Zoom.... People in the fuji talk forum complains the Fuji 6900 has problems with reading card, noise (???) and forgotten lens cam (I forgot to remove lens cap and switch on the camer...blah blah... lens jam... blah blah...) I'm a forgetful person... That lens cap thingy got me a little worried...

The Olympus 10x zoom brothers was neat... I didn't mind the size... But if ony it was 3 mega.... That was when I was a pixel-maniac... hee hee...

The D5 fits the bill and my pocket... so here it is...

hmm...actually was eyeing for cp995/g2...dat time i know zilch about digicams...juz asked for ppl's opinions in hwz forums...

@ de shop, my dad spotted de d5 and got it for me since it's like almost de same price wif cp995/g2 and got 7x zoom...so there, i have my D5 till now. 4 months exactly and still happy. :D

i'm a no-brand preference person...as long as it's within budget and wif good features, then buy lah. mebbe my next one will be a nikon or canon...who knows!

Originally posted by ckiang
Yup, what made you choose a Minolta system? What is it about the other brands that you do not like?

I would be more interested to know if,

a) anyone regretted their decision, and if so, what are you going to do about it. :)

b) what made you not choose the Minolta SLR system?

For very much the same reason as some of them, I chose the D7 because there isn't another 5MP camera that offers so much features for such a low price.

I mean I have a Nikon SLR, and I like Nikon stuff. But Minolta did a good job for its D5/7 design that none of the Nikon or Canon models could compete at that price point.

I chose Alpha 7 (Dynax 7 or Maxxum 7) becasue it has a very clear and simple operational layout, big navigation display and data memory function. I like my a7 very much!

akina

My first encounter with Minolta was 7 years ago when I helped an NS friend snap a few pics using his 300si.

Wasn't into photography yet back then, so I was impressed with the design, AF and LED display of the Minolta.

From that, I started looking around for SLRs. Comparing Canons and Minoltas as Nikon was out of my poor NS budget. I felt that Minolta had better designs at affordable prices. Also found that the user interface of the Minolta is more user friendly than the Canon. Had to admit that the LED display of the Minolta was a big draw to me.

So I decided on the 500si and have been using it since.

Have to say that Minolta gives more features for the same price.

Have to say that Minolta gives more features for the same price.

You are right, of course. But how about when it is time to upgrade and you suddenly realised.. no 28-135 mm lens, no IS, etc?

Or if you want some prosumer lenses and realised.. no 70-210 f/4 lens! (okay, there is, but it's discontinued.)

Originally posted by ninelives
I find that Minolta cameras are very user friendly. Once you touch or feel it, you already know how to operate.

For Nikon and Canon, they buttons layout are messy.

Compare them next time if you got a chance.

Also, I pay a reasonable price for a good body. Not just for the label.

Ahh you really can't resist sniping on other camera system sub forums can you ;)

I'd suggest you actually try a few different brands before making such comments :)

As for Minolta, well I can tell you why I didn't consider Minolta and wouldn't consider Minolta as a serious contender in the professional realm.

My reply to your troll here

With reference to the Dynax 7:

1. Ease-of-use
2. State-of-the-art

Most importantly... PRICE!!! I'm not a pro, so I don't give a rat's ass about whatever Star Wars technology that other manufacturers offer.

(Wait wait... 'Star Wars' is ancient after all... anyone suggest a better term?)

Status
Not open for further replies.