What made you choose Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Yup, what made you choose a Canon system? What is it about the other brands that you do not like?

Air your views here. No flames please. There's a similar thread in the other equipment forums. :)

Regards
CK

Very Simple.

My friend who got me interested in photography was using a Canon system and so it's natural that I gravitate to that as well :)

Did consider the nikon system too but friendship won at the end of the day ;)

Two factors. The first is that I started with the G1. Then came the promotion where you buy the EOS 30/33, Canon gives you the 28-105 USM II. It's a no brainer for me. ;)

Regards,
JK

Well, I was playing with my friend's F90X and quite frankly didn't like the ergonomics, too heavy for a shallow grip. So I decided to look at Canon, never looked back. For my earlier purchases, I also find that Canon prices are cheaper. Of course I later found out that its not always the case, just sometimes. To be honest, i do like the built of Nikon. No flames, no flames.:cool:

I love my G2.. kekeke... errr.. minus e weight thot.. shes a fat sweet lady!! kekeke

Phil

Fell in love with the D30...fell in love with the 50mm f1.8...fell in love with the 70-200 f2.8L...

nuff said.

Hoping to fall in love with a future 45 point AF system...:D

Love the Canon IS ...one of the biggest leap in lens technology this qtr of century. My 28-135 IS is a godsend for my kind of travel photography :)

I don't choose the brand, I choose the camera.

My first P&S was a Chinon, because I wanted a simple, cheap camera. "Focus-free".

Then I got a Pentax zoom, because I needed a zoom.

Then I got my first SLR, which was a Minolta, because I asked the dealer for something "idiot-proof". A point and shoot SLR.

Then Nikon came out with the Coolpix, so I got the 700 and later the 990.

Then Canon produced the D30, and the rest is history. But yes, I'm now locked into a Canon system, because my lenses are all EF mount lenses (not neccessarily Canon lenses).

I now understand that Nikon has more than one series of lenses, which are not all compatible with different Nikon camera bodies. That's sad. I'm glad Canon produced the D30, and not Nikon.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

I now understand that Nikon has more than one series of lenses, which are not all compatible with different Nikon camera bodies. That's sad. I'm glad Canon produced the D30, and not Nikon.

hello friend, Canon and Minolta also have produce more than one series of lens.if memory serve me right, canon have changed 2 mounts, minolta also 2, nikon 3. collect me if i'm wrong. I loss the link anyway.

I don't choose the brand, I choose the camera.

My first P&S was a Chinon, because I wanted a simple, cheap camera. "Focus-free".

gosh...that reminded me...my family camera (and the first, too) was a Chinon with a zoom, which was shared by everybody for more than 10 years i believe......

it's still around and working!

That's true, but while you can probably stick a AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED IF onto a 1978 FE body and still have 99% functionality (except AF-S of coz), you can't stick a EF 70-210mm f2.8 L IS USM onto the Canon AE-1 Program. Or their previous flagship, the F-1 for that matter. :)

The lens compatibility isn't a very big issue until recently when Nikon tried to cut cost in their bodies and sacrifice some incompatibility.

It's rather brave of Canon to adopt an entirely new mount for their EOS line of cameras and totally abandon the FD mount. (I pity the photographers who had say, a F-1 with lots of superteles). Of coz, that now gives you complete compatibility within the EOS system.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ninelives

hello friend, Canon and Minolta also have produce more than one series of lens.if memory serve me right, canon have changed 2 mounts, minolta also 2, nikon 3. collect me if i'm wrong. I loss the link anyway.

Nikon never changed their F-mount. It's there right from the beginning. Just that there are many types of lenses, all in the F-mount. Pentax K mount too.

Regards
CK

dunno y ... all my 4 cameras are canon :D

1. Canon PRIMA SUPER 135N
2. Canon Powershot 350
3. Canon Pro 90 IS
4. Canon EOS 30

I fall in love with G2 at my first sight at it. Also dunno why.
Call it fate. Now, i'm in love with Canon cameras.

;)

Because.... MY MOTHER SAY SO.. hehe :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

D30 started it all.

At the time I was searching for a DSLR, Nikon's version was twice the price. For a $9k nikon dslr body, I could get the D30 + L Lens + Flash + MD + Extra battery + Upgrade my PC. It' s a no brainer.

Eh? That cuts both ways... the D30 was half the price of a D1, but it's also half the camera that a D1 is designed to be (I said "designed to be", I'm not commenting if either camera fulfilled or exceeded these design specs at all).

Fact is, the D1 series is cheaper than the 1D, and the D30/60 are comparably priced to the D100/S1/S2.

While I don't deny that in your situation you made the right decision, to blame Nikon for pricing the D1 at its price point is unfair, the D1 was about half what the equivalent Kodak models cost and Nikon has done all the work in cutting the cost of digital SLRs.

Originally posted by Jed
Eh? That cuts both ways... the D30 was half the price of a D1, but it's also half the camera that a D1 is designed to be (I said "designed to be", I'm not commenting if either camera fulfilled or exceeded these design specs at all).

Fact is, the D1 series is cheaper than the 1D, and the D30/60 are comparably priced to the D100/S1/S2.

While I don't deny that in your situation you made the right decision, to blame Nikon for pricing the D1 at its price point is unfair, the D1 was about half what the equivalent Kodak models cost and Nikon has done all the work in cutting the cost of digital SLRs.

and not forgetting that the D1 is in an entirely different league (professional) than the D30, therefore making price comparison between the 2 a moot point. It would be the same as comparing the price of the F5 to say, any of the non pro Nikon bodies.

I believe Canon never intended to position the D30 as a camera that professionals can rely on. But it seems for lack of a pro level DSLR at that time, a lot of pros actually got D30s and use it as part of their daily work.

but the design goals and target audience are still different for both the Nikon D1 and the D30, thus the price difference.

Yes..i know D1 and D30 are of different league. But for me concern an amateur who were looking for a DSLR to start off the ball rolling at that time, only Canon D30 fits the bill. If Nikon that time has an equivalent match, I would have a hard time deciding.

Like those going to decide a D60 or D100 without pre won any lenses when D100 is launched.......not an easy task

Status
Not open for further replies.