What macro len best for D50?


Status
Not open for further replies.

joey91

New Member
Jan 1, 2006
830
0
0
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
hi, i'm a newbie here,want to try macro shoot..
wat macro len u hv to use?? any recommend??
60mm, 105mm, 80-180mm??how abt performance??:confused: :confused:
are urs think prime macro len are better, cos invest n perfomance??
 

alechim

Senior Member
Aug 8, 2004
1,728
0
0
Redhill
joey91 said:
hi, i'm a newbie here,want to try macro shoot..
wat macro len u hv to use?? any recommend??
60mm, 105mm, 80-180mm??how abt performance??:confused: :confused:
are urs think prime macro len are better, cos invest n perfomance??
depends on what macro you wanna shoot..

if insects and crippy crawlies, then I suggest you get a long reach macro lens - nikon 105 macro is :thumbsup:

if static objects, then nikon 60mm is more than enough..

else if you wanna a cheaper 3rd party macro lens - Tamron 90mm DI is :thumbsup: else get the nikon 50/f1.8 with a reverse ring
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
200 f/4 Micro BBB MTL, buy first talk later :thumbsup:
 

joey91

New Member
Jan 1, 2006
830
0
0
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
alechim said:
depends on what macro you wanna shoot..

if insects and crippy crawlies, then I suggest you get a long reach macro lens - nikon 105 macro is :thumbsup:

if static objects, then nikon 60mm is more than enough..

else if you wanna a cheaper 3rd party macro lens - Tamron 90mm DI is :thumbsup: else get the nikon 50/f1.8 with a reverse ring
thanks.. will consider 105mm nikon macro..:D

espn said:
200 f/4 Micro BBB MTL, buy first talk later :thumbsup:
sorry , i dun get ur mean 'BBB MTL',can u explain... :embrass:
 

starlet

New Member
Sep 26, 2005
49
0
0
joey91 said:
thanks.. will consider 105mm nikon macro..:D


sorry , i dun get ur mean 'BBB MTL',can u explain... :embrass:

Just bought mine on Tues (105mm) from CP at $990 via Net. Very good len :thumbsup:

BBB = Buy Buy Buy
MTL = don't wait any longer
 

iso100

Senior Member
May 17, 2005
932
0
16
Nikkor 105, longer working distance, suitable for macro and portrait..
 

joey91

New Member
Jan 1, 2006
830
0
0
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
thanks starlet n iso100...$990...
woah...:sweatsm: now still save $$,hehe...survey 1st..
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,918
27
48
really MORE diaper changes
joey91 said:
thanks starlet n iso100...$990...
woah...:sweatsm: now still save $$,hehe...survey 1st..
see wat alechim said earlier... if u know wat u want to shoot most of the time, u'll know wat is the range to buy.

there's another tamron dat alechim missed out - the 180mm Macro. one of the fav lenses for butterfly shooters.
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
joey91 said:
thanks starlet n iso100...$990...
woah...:sweatsm: now still save $$,hehe...survey 1st..
U can buy second hand here, I remember someone is selling a Nikon AFD105micro.
 

alechim

Senior Member
Aug 8, 2004
1,728
0
0
Redhill
nightwolf75 said:
see wat alechim said earlier... if u know wat u want to shoot most of the time, u'll know wat is the range to buy.

there's another tamron dat alechim missed out - the 180mm Macro. one of the fav lenses for butterfly shooters.
oh that 1...yeah missed out that 1, all drawns down to her recommend lor and the most important budget
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
alechim said:
oh that 1...yeah missed out that 1, all drawns down to her recommend lor and the most important budget
200 f/4. Bagus piece of glass.... but rare and hard to find.
 

joey91

New Member
Jan 1, 2006
830
0
0
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
i think i wish to hv a macro len for capture flowers n also the cutie anime figure:p cos they are all small size... hehehe..
105mm nikon macro len think is the best choice...:D
other choice like 70-180 ,200mm, will consider after hv a 105mm gua...
just think use nikon lens is better !! thanks ur guy comment to me... :bigeyes:
 

eawtan

Senior Member
Feb 4, 2004
1,370
0
36
Tampines
joey91 said:
i think i wish to hv a macro len for capture flowers n also the cutie anime figure:p cos they are all small size... hehehe..
105mm nikon macro len think is the best choice...:D
other choice like 70-180 ,200mm, will consider after hv a 105mm gua...
just think use nikon lens is better !! thanks ur guy comment to me... :bigeyes:
Checkout : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=150174
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
36
joey91 said:
i think i wish to hv a macro len for capture flowers n also the cutie anime figure:p cos they are all small size... hehehe..
105mm nikon macro len think is the best choice...:D
other choice like 70-180 ,200mm, will consider after hv a 105mm gua...
just think use nikon lens is better !! thanks ur guy comment to me... :bigeyes:
Can't have one lens for both. Usually it would be useful to have a longer lens if you shoot micro for nature like flowers because you may not reach so close. But when shooting figurines, I am sure you won't want to stand so far away.

I would recommend the AF-Micro 60/2.8. It will be easier for you to work with the figurines with a shorter working distance. You can also shoot nature with it, only that you may need to move closer for a higher magnification.

At the end of the day, it might be good to take a look through both and decide which one can give you a working distance you would be comfortable with.
 

joey91

New Member
Jan 1, 2006
830
0
0
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
lsisaxon said:
Can't have one lens for both. Usually it would be useful to have a longer lens if you shoot micro for nature like flowers because you may not reach so close. But when shooting figurines, I am sure you won't want to stand so far away.

I would recommend the AF-Micro 60/2.8. It will be easier for you to work with the figurines with a shorter working distance. You can also shoot nature with it, only that you may need to move closer for a higher magnification.

At the end of the day, it might be good to take a look through both and decide which one can give you a working distance you would be comfortable with.
i understand wat u mean ,n agree !!
or maybe buy 60mm nikon , then buy teleconverter,then ma become 120mm lor!! can do like tat??:think:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
joey91 said:
i understand wat u mean ,n agree !!
or maybe buy 60mm nikon , then buy teleconverter,then ma become 120mm lor!! can do like tat??:think:
You can't stack TCs on Micro glasses...
 

joey91

New Member
Jan 1, 2006
830
0
0
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
espn said:
You can't stack TCs on Micro glasses...
:embrass: :embrass: hehe... so maybe buy the 60mm nikon 1st lor... then now consider 105mm nikon...

thanks espn comment to me!!:embrass:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
Eh... they serve different purpose and different market segment, they don't achieve the same results/usage, you sure you need both? :dunno:


Of course, when in doubt, just buy both :lovegrin:
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,918
27
48
really MORE diaper changes
another choice is the new tokina AT-X AF100mm/f2.8 macro lens. currently CP is having some promo on the lens, retailing ard $550 with freebies, IIRC.

the latest review i read from shutterbug magazine gave it a 4.5/5 rating.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.