What macro len & accessories did you use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonb

Nov 28, 2004
What macro len & accessories did you guys use ? How's the image quality for third party macro len if compare to Nikon ?

I uses a Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX, teleplus extension tube on my Eos20D and Eos 5.
I personally think that the the sigma macro lens is good enough.
But then again, it very much depends on your expectation.

3 x extension tube + 85mm f1.8

higher magnification than normal macro lens, good for shooting small static objects

The 55mm f/3.5 macro, 28mm f/3.5, 105mm f/4 short mount, and 105mm f/2.8 macro are the lenses I use for macro work.

I use the 55mm f/3.5 from infinity focus to a reproduction ratio of 1:1 with an extension tube. When I need reproduction ratios between 1:1 and 4:1, I attach the lens to a bellows unit. In addition to the normal close-up and macro shots, I also use this lens attached in reverse position to a bellows unit with a slide copy attachment in order to make 1:1 or cropped copies of 2X2 slides.

I use the 28mm f/3.5 in reverse position on bellows and/or extension tubes when I need 4:1 to 12:1 reproduction ratios.

The 105mm f/4 short mount lens I primarily use under studio conditions to take close-up product shots. Using it on a PB-4 bellows allows me to use lens sliding and swinging movements to control perspective and depth-of-field. Rarely do I use this lens and bellows in the field.

In the field, I normally use the 105mm f/2.8 macro from infinity focus to a reproduction ratio of 1:1 with an extension tube. Rarely do I take a bellows unit into the field because it is bulky, too difficult to use in fieldwork, and the bellows material is susceptible to damage. The few times I have needed to attach this lens to bellows was when I needed to shoot something in the 1:1 to 4:1 repro range and I needed a little more working distance than I could get from the 55mm.

laforge said:
Nice ...reverse ring... Is it as good as a macro len?
Cheap and good solution for a cheapo like me :bsmilie:

Done handheld -

001_G.jpg

003_G.jpg

Hey espn,

*going off topic for a bit*

Many websites I've read recommend keeping the 50mm wide open when reversing.

When you use the 50mm on reverse, do you use it wide open, or do you still adjust the f-stop as well?

I used to use it wide open, but then many photos got unfocused when I moved on pressing the shutter. Then when I tried stopping down, I found it damn hard to see. It's a hard balance between keeping stable and bad eyesight. Haha.

I got the 105mm in the end. But as soon as I can get a coupler for the 105mm and 50mm, I'd like to try the 50mm reverse mounted on the 105mm. Would be pretty cool, I think. Anyone tried that and can show some photos?

Thanks
joanne

laforge said:
Nice ...reverse ring... Is it as good as a macro len?
Reverse ring i think only suitable for dead object, or object doesn't move much. Or else focusing will be tricky already.

Narsuitus said:
The 55mm f/3.5 macro, 28mm f/3.5, 105mm f/4 short mount, and 105mm f/2.8 macro are the lenses I use for macro work.

I use the 55mm f/3.5 from infinity focus to a reproduction ratio of 1:1 with an extension tube. When I need reproduction ratios between 1:1 and 4:1, I attach the lens to a bellows unit. In addition to the normal close-up and macro shots, I also use this lens attached in reverse position to a bellows unit with a slide copy attachment in order to make 1:1 or cropped copies of 2X2 slides.

I use the 28mm f/3.5 in reverse position on bellows and/or extension tubes when I need 4:1 to 12:1 reproduction ratios.

The 105mm f/4 short mount lens I primarily use under studio conditions to take close-up product shots. Using it on a PB-4 bellows allows me to use lens sliding and swinging movements to control perspective and depth-of-field. Rarely do I use this lens and bellows in the field.

In the field, I normally use the 105mm f/2.8 macro from infinity focus to a reproduction ratio of 1:1 with an extension tube. Rarely do I take a bellows unit into the field because it is bulky, too difficult to use in fieldwork, and the bellows material is susceptible to damage. The few times I have needed to attach this lens to bellows was when I needed to shoot something in the 1:1 to 4:1 repro range and I needed a little more working distance than I could get from the 55mm.

Wah, sound pro. Are you using all nikon len by the way ? How's the Nikon 105mm F2.8 ? Any pic to see ? Feeling to get a macro len to try, but not sure which one to get ?

brandonb said:
Reverse ring i think only suitable for dead object, or object doesn't move much. Or else focusing will be tricky already.

ermmm... most of the time, macros are normally meant for small and/or slow-moving obejcts. the reason why people buy long range macro lenses, compared to short-ranged, is to give themselves a longer working distance to avoid scaring off the bug-in-question.

wat sort of macro objects are u looking to shoot at? still-life? bugs? plants? different subjects require different equipment or lenses. ur original question is way to general for people to give a specific answer.

brandonb said:
What macro len & accessories did you guys use ? How's the image quality for third party macro len if compare to Nikon ?
do a search in the macro gallery, but even if you have a nikon glass you might not get good images.

power is nothing without control

How much does extension tubes cost? Does Nikon make it?

Is Macro 60mm only dedicated for macro photographs only? Can it be used as normal 60mm lens? Compared to 50mm/f1.8 quality wise?

I already have the 50mm/f1.8, considering whether to buy 60mm macro or getting reverse lens adapter and use the 50mm/1.8 instead... Any advice?

net-g said:
How much does extension tubes cost? Does Nikon make it?
Nikon did has extension tube if not wrong. But is for manual focus, no AF. Me still consider whether to get Kenko tube or just get the Nikon 105mm macro len. Not sure which one better.

Status
Not open for further replies.