What lenses???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaked

Sep 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to photography and to start myself off I bought myself a Canon 50D and a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Now I'm MOST interested in taking photos of animals- I'm going to be going to Madagascar this December-January for a family holiday so I need to get one or two lenses that can be used to take 'close' (or is it zoom) shots of insects (I was checking out this guys blog and he uses a 100mm 2.8), and 'far away' shots because if there's an animal far off, in a tree perhaps, I want to take that too.

I'm guessing that the 100mm lens is the one to go for? or is there another? And any recommendations for a zoom lens?

Thanks!

PS. I can't afford to spend TOO much money (if I'm not mistaken the 100mm is about 610? Like the Tammy)

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to photography and to start myself off I bought myself a Canon 50D and a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. Now I'm MOST interested in taking photos of animals- I'm going to be going to Madagascar this December-January for a family holiday so I need to get one or two lenses that can be used to take 'close' (or is it zoom) shots of insects (I was checking out this guys blog and he uses a 100mm 2.8), and 'far away' shots because if there's an animal far off, in a tree perhaps, I want to take that too.

I'm guessing that the 100mm lens is the one to go for? or is there another? And any recommendations for a zoom lens?

Thanks!

PS. I can't afford to spend TOO much money (if I'm not mistaken the 100mm is about 610? Like the Tammy)

100mm is nowhere enough if you need to shoot distant animals. For starters a 55-250mm is the minimum you need. You may also want to consider lens 300mm and beyond. And you will need a good tripod or monopod with long focal lengths like these.

For macro (of insects) the 100mm is a good choice. As you are quite tight with your budget, you can use your tamron, and fit a Raynox over it. It will be good enough. Cheap and good. Check it out at the singapore distributor's website

Last edited:
The Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro is a great carry about lens for Macro, as name suggested and a good potrait lens, a little slow on focusing since it's the nature of Macro lens but bloody sharp. Won't be needing a long Macro since that will usually restrict you to a tripod.

For the far reaching a Canon EF 70-200 f 2.8 IS USM with a 1.4x or 2x extender will be fine.

For a little more reach on tripod then the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 IF will be a strong contender. Throw in the 1.4x or the 2x extender you will get plenty 600mm!!!!!!!! and with the 1.6 crop on the 50D will make that a super zoom 960mm!!!!!!!! Faint liao.

The 50D has micro adjustment which will come in handy for those Sigma lens which tends to need a little calibration. You can do it on the run while the boys and girls whose cam that does not come with that will have to bring in to Sigma for calibration.

Don't forget to post and watch you front and back.

Don't get eaten!!!!!!!!!:bsmilie:

guess u gonna need 300mm onwards for wildlife shooting in the open...u wont wanna let the animals know of ur presence while shooting them...

before he go for his trip, TS already go broke buyin those big gun..:bsmilie:

Wow thanks for all the replies guys hehe. I am certainly on a tight budget so I will try those Rayonex lens' adapter thing- I will definitely buy them soon and give them a try!

I still need to buy a tripod lol...probably going to go to CathayPhoto to buy one.

Once again, thanks for all the tips. I'm definitely coming here to improve myself.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys hehe. I am certainly on a tight budget so I will try those Rayonex lens' adapter thing- I will definitely buy them soon and give them a try!

I still need to buy a tripod lol...probably going to go to CathayPhoto to buy one.

Once again, thanks for all the tips. I'm definitely coming here to improve myself.

FYI

me bought my 190xprob = $185, 486rc2 = $100. total $285.
last saturday went to CP, 190xprob price tag show $262, 486rc2 show $142.
total $404, then the salesman discount it for 20%, think avt $320....no wonder they sell so ex....so many staffs over there.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

If u're on a budget, I suggest:

Tamron 90mm macro : about $500.
Canon 400mm f5.6: previously new at $1600, now increase to dunno how much.

But u need a tripod for the 400mm as it doesnt come wif IS. Anyways, if u're gonna be in Madagascar, better bring along a tripod, and I would also suggest u bring a long a wide angle as the landscape their is beautiful.

If yrs a crop, get a 10-22mm Canon or Sigma 10-20mm, or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, price range from $900 - $1150.

Tripod & wide angle is a must- the 400mm is very useful if u wanna try being tiger fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.