What lenses you own?

pentaxme

Jun 4, 2005
Singapore
Hi guys, I am a newbie to Pentax DSLR, not really a deflector from Canon since I still own my Canon DSLR but Pentax ;p always have a soft spot in my heart since my very first SLR is a Pentax ME Super in the 80s. I has just purchased a K-7 and really fascinated with the features, size and handling, I wonder whether you guys can kindly share what are the lenses in your collection, hopefully I can gain some insight on what are the good Pentax lenses to own? Thanks ;)

Last edited:
DA* 50-135mm :heart:

i also have a tamron 17-50mm, tamron 90mm macro, tamron 70-300mm

The DA and FA primes are always a good bet, if you are the primes type. The limited series are arguably among the very best among all brands for primes. It's a key reason to go Pentax.

My lenses:
DA21
M50 f1.7
DA35
DA70
DA50-200

Glad you like it :)

I have: 16-50, 50-135, 50/1.4, 35/2.8.

I would like to have: 15/4, 77/1.8. Together with the 35/2.8 that would be a small bag which covers the range of focal lengths. The 16-50 and 50-135 are nice, but still aren't tiny like the primes (especially the pancake primes).

Thanks guys for sharing ;) and really impress with all your fine collection.

I actually like the DA* and limited quality very much too. I wanted to go for the DA* 50-135 as well, but I find it may be a little short for the telephoto range and I was considering DA* 200 f2.8 prime but wonder whether it is a better choice?? i have never own a telephoto prime and afraid that I may not get use to a telephoto prime. Any suggestion or comments?

I like the 35mm macro limited and I think it is ideal for film SLR equivalent of a standard lens, ideal for walk about, really small and with macro too. Probably that will be the next I would buy ;)

I find the better and faster Canon L lenses are really huge and bulky unlike the Pentax ;)

Thanks guys for sharing ;) and really impress with all your fine collection.

I actually like the DA* and limited quality very much too. I wanted to go for the DA* 50-135 as well, but I find it may be a little short for the telephoto range and I was considering DA* 200 f2.8 prime but wonder whether it is a better choice?? i have never own a telephoto prime and afraid that I may not get use to a telephoto prime. Any suggestion or comments?

I like the 35mm macro limited and I think it is ideal for film SLR equivalent of a standard lens, ideal for walk about, really small and with macro too. Probably that will be the next I would buy ;)

I find the better and faster Canon L lenses are really huge and bulky unlike the Pentax ;)

DA* 50-135 is great for candids and portraits! light and small enough compared to the 70-200 lenses.. without the hood it's quite nondescript, but with the hood mounted it looks quite menacing.

for events you'll probably want a 70-200 (from sigma or tamron) or DA* 60-250, and for sports maybe even the DA* 200 or DA* 300. had a chance to compare my DA* 50-135 with nik34's sigma 70-200 HSM II side by side over the weekend, that thing is really a big gun!

but anyway, i think forget abt the DA* lineup for now.. the true gems in the pentax lineup are its primes, especially the DA and FA limiteds.. not only are they well-built and have great optics, they'll put the plastic primes from other brands to shame. the K-7 was designed to match the limited lenses you know.. :devil:

Dont kick out the kit lens. Its actually quite good :thumbsup:

IMGP7211.jpg

DA21

Why we :heart: the pancake limiteds..

Thanks again, it is really a treat to get a chance to read about the experiences on those lenses you guys have (but really really poisonous too :p ). I like the lens size and the focal range of Pentax lenses which what I like for crop body 16-50 and 50-135 (equiv 24-75 and 75-200) coming from 35mm SLR era, YES.. especially those DA limited lenses. I think FA limited is little too expensive for me, and I don't have any intention to move to any FF pentax (if there is one in the future roadmap). I really like the small size of K-7 for my holiday.

Not really game for big gun like the Sigma or Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, since I still own the Canon L 70-200mm f2.8 IS 1.47kg beast ;) I really love it light now with the K-7 :D :D

Really appreciate all the sharing, please keep it coming :)

If you're planning your personal lens roadmap, there're IMHO 3 paths:

1) A good mixture of FA and DA Limited primes, and a choice of something extra (one of the tele DA*/FA*/F* would be great!) to cover the tele end.

2) DA*16-50 + DA*50-135, and again something to cover 200mm and beyond. I personally like the idea of 1) more, but 2) is just so much more convenient....

3) Money no issue, buy both 1) and 2)! :bsmilie:

And of course add your own favorite fast lens, ultrawide lens, and macro lens, and you should be more or less set.

1) A good mixture of FA and DA Limited primes, and a choice of something extra (one of the tele DA*/FA*/F* would be great!) to cover the tele end.

2) DA*16-50 + DA*50-135, and again something to cover 200mm and beyond. I personally like the idea of 1) more, but 2) is just so much more convenient....

And of course add your own favorite fast lens, ultrawide lens, and macro lens, and you should be more or less set.
Yeah, I followed track 1) and is so tempted now to get a DA*16-50 for events but still resisting...
If you enjoy photography simply for shooting, the DA* lenses are good choices. If lens collection is part of the game, the limiteds are toxic.

i think i went down path 2.. tamron 17-50 + 50-135 +70-300 + macro lens.. now all that's missing is a UWA lens :sweat:

I think chances I will go down path 2 but I am torn between getting DA*50-135 (which I like about zoom lens when on holiday but maybe a little too short) or DA*200 (giving the 200mm coverage), but I really can't afford to get both. For prime, I am looking at the DA limited 35mm macro to start with since it is the ideal standard lens for crop body and give the macro capability :) After that I will be d*mn broke for awhile :( so it will be a long while before beginning to think of path 1. ;)

As for ultrawide, so far I am happy with 16mm or 17mm on crop (i.e. 24mm), and it pan out ready well for all my purpose so I can save a few $$ and skip uwa lens ;)

Last edited:
My arsenal consists of:
DA* 16-50mm F2.8
FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
SMC K 85mm F1.8
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
Polar 135mm F2.8
HOYA 135mm F2.8

and many more . . . :devil:;p

Last edited:
Yeah, I followed track 1) and is so tempted now to get a DA*16-50 for events but still resisting...
If you enjoy photography simply for shooting, the DA* lenses are good choices. If lens collection is part of the game, the limiteds are toxic.

Actually, the limiteds are great simply for shooting too. They're so small and light and discreet that I feel they work best for certain circumstances (hiking, travel, street and so on).

I've never felt constrained or inconvenienced shooting with a set of primes. Missed shots? Take too long to swap lenses? Etc. Not really issues. It's a matter of shooting style in the end.

And this is coming from a guy who used to happily zoom in and out all the time with a 12x zoom prosumer compact before making the leap to DSLR! :p

Last edited:
I think chances I will go down path 2 but I am torn between getting DA*50-135 (which I like about zoom lens when on holiday but maybe a little too short) or DA*200 (giving the 200mm coverage), but I really can't afford to get both. For prime, I am looking at the DA limited 35mm macro to start with since it is the ideal standard lens for crop body and give the macro capability :) After that I will be d*mn broke for awhile :( so it will be a long while before beginning to think of path 1. ;)

As for ultrawide, so far I am happy with 16mm or 17mm on crop (i.e. 24mm), and it pan out ready well for all my purpose so I can save a few $$ and skip uwa lens ;)

Go for the 50-135 first. 200 is secondary. Both are very very good lenses. the 16-50 is a mixed bag however, kind of like the weak link in the Pentax zoom line-up.

DA35 is a fine choice. I don't quite use it for day-to-day walk around shots thou as I have other lenses to cover the range. It's very suitable for product shots and copy work. Not that great for bugs and flies though cos its very short.

Actually, the limiteds are great simply for shooting too. They're so small and light and discreet that I feel they work best for certain circumstances (hiking, travel, street and so on).

I've never felt constrained or inconvenienced shooting with a set of primes. Missed shots? Take too long to swap lenses? Etc. Not really issues. It's a matter of shooting style in the end.

And this is coming from a guy who used to happily zoom in and out all the time with a 12x zoom prosumer compact before making the leap to DSLR! :p
Ha, I felt a bit restricted using the primes for events mainly. For streets and travel and walk-arounds, I am still ok with the primes. Side-track: I think the DA21 is probably the best mount-on prime for travel. Sometimes I simply choose one prime and could probably shoot the whole day with it and all shots end up having quite the same perspective. I do not quite like switching lenses too.