What lenses should newbie have for Canon 50D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanhbp

Dec 6, 2009
Hi,
I am totally newbie.
Just bought 50D + EF 18-200mm.
I still want to buy 1 more lens, thinking of EF 50mm f 1.8 / 1.4 or 85mm
Any further recommendation, please help?
Rgds

Hi,
I am totally newbie.
Rgds

Without knowing what kind of shots you're trying to take, it would be foolish to recommend a lens to you with any certainly, especially since it will be a fairly costly purchase.

Try using 50mm only on your 18-200 and see if that suits you.
Try the same thing with 85mm.

After that, you should have some idea of which lens to get, if any.

It's like asking... "I want to drive to Tampines, what kind or car should I get?"

You need to consider your shooting style and what you prefer to shoot. Once you know that, you'll know if you need another lens.

Hi,

If I were you I would only start buying lenses when the current lenses I have could not give me the outcome that I want. My first lens was the 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS. I still have it now. When it could not give me a satisfactory shallow depth of field or background blur I bought the 50mm f/1.8 II. When the 18-55 cannot get me objects far away, I bought the 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS telephoto zoom. And when it could not get wide enough, I bought the EFs 10-22mm USM. It all depends on your needs.

Cheers,

Mahathir

10-22mm ;)

You need this:

canon-ef-1200mm.jpg

Are u buying for the reason of owning another lens?
You have to help us help u by sharing with us what do u intend to use it for?
Do u need fast prime for low light coverage? A dedicated lens for portraiture etc?
Is ur current lens restricting u in any way?
Since u asked, most prob is you dun need another lens. :)

though i'm a Nikon user... but i personally think there are a few lenses that a Canon user "must" have... ;p

17mm TS-E
65mm TS-E Macro
135mm f2 soft focus
14mm f1.4L prime
100mm f2.8L Macro
50mm f1.2L prime

hmmm that's quite all about it... happy "collecting"... ;p

though i'm a Nikon user... but i personally think there are a few lenses that a Canon user "must" have... ;p

17mm TS-E
65mm TS-E Macro
135mm f2 soft focus
14mm f1.4L prime
100mm f2.8L Macro
50mm f1.2L prime

Since when that became a TS-E lens?

Hi,
I am totally newbie.
Rgds

To all newbies, please don't ask qns of such as above, will only invite all sorts of criticism.

If you are new, stick with what you have till you discover what kind of shots you like then go for those lens that you need (notice the emphasis is on the word "need").

If you are damn rich or just want to show off, ignore what I have type and proceed with whatever purchases you want then.

Just my personal thoughts. No offence intended.

17mm TS-E
65mm TS-E Macro
135mm f2 soft focus
14mm f1.4L prime
100mm f2.8L Macro
50mm f1.2L prime

What lenses are these?

Lenses canon users must have, for what reason? hmm.. evades my logic.
I see some suited portraits, some wide angles, and some for macros. What if he only shoot wide angles? wouldn't it be wasted to get say 50mm f1.2?

Hi,
I am totally newbie.
Rgds

wat is ur budget?? :devil:

or

these
2398529208_782e9a5683.jpg

:bsmilie: but seriously what do you intend to shoot..you already have the "all-in-1" lens,macro?

:bigeyes: well done!

:think:
I think everyone scared him away...
And he will be bad mouthing about Clubsnap not friendly. :bsmilie:

To TS, i think best is to play around with your kit lens and the 50D 1st. Next month when you try out and you have figure out what you love to shoot, come back and tell all of us. We would glad to help you to recommed on which lens is next.

Btw, 50D is semi pro right? So you need to try and catch up with the Semi Pro level. Get to know the body well like how you know yourself. Read manual and read books on digital photography. Don't buy buy buy but end up you does not invest your time to have skills, its useless. ;p

Good luck and all the best in photography...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.