What lenses for food photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingyan

Feb 25, 2004
wat the best lense for food photography

with my Nikon 18-70, even the 70mm, the food looks so far away.

www.sgkueh.com

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
time to play with angle and distant... dun stand a mile and shoot...
I should say I actually stand quite near.

eikin said:
huh? what were you shooting? :dunno:
shooting my kueh lor!

www.sgkueh.com

try 105mm

I suggest you go down Popular Book Store and take a look at those cake or noya kueh (cook books) and get some ideas.

A TS/E IS the solution. With a T/S lens, you can decide where your focal plane lies relative to the food, to achieve cool in-focus/out-focus effects. All the pros generally use TS/E lenses. Only poorer photographers like us make do with others.

data1ore said:
A TS/E IS the solution. With a T/S lens, you can decide where your focal plane lies relative to the food, to achieve cool in-focus/out-focus effects. All the pros generally use TS/E lenses. Only poorer photographers like us make do with others.

Pai seh, wats a T/S lens? very sua ku

hongsien said:

wow.. the pics here are fantastic.:eek:
How did they get the colors to be so vibrant?
Is it becos of the setup? Camera? Photoshop skills?
If its all of the above, then which one played the biggest part?:dunno:

Oh, and I also dunno what a T/S lens is.:embrass: Would be much appreciated if someone could explain or point out a link.

do you think nikon 28-105mm is good enough?
macro capable to 1:2, and it's a sharp lense too.....

bingyan said:
Pai seh, wats a T/S lens? very sua ku

It is a shift len mainly use for shooting tall building. As for food...maybe I am like you learn something new. But I will stick to a normal len :bsmilie:

Hobbesyeo said:

Oh, and I also dunno what a T/S lens is.:embrass: Would be much appreciated if someone could explain or point out a link.
Tilt-shift lenses:

http://www.shutterbug.net/features/0801sb_tilt/
http://www.photo.net/photo/canon/tilt-shift

For Nikon users, it's call the Perspective Control lens. the 85mm can be found here

Hobbesyeo said:

He is a cook himself, so he knows how to present the food.....styling is the most important part I found out myself, can take hours to do it if you are not experienced (like me), and still be not satisfied with the result! But experience will learn..........read many (cooking) books and lighting books too.

He uses macro lenses, but you can do with extension tubes lah! Also, not necessary to use tilt lenses..........macro lenses have shallow depth of field by nature, especially the longer focal length ones (100mm and above). Unless you want to stand a distance and still have that shallow depth of field, you can use a Tilt (and shift) lens...........

Tilting is to change the plane of focus from vertical (normal position) to any direction you want (up to a vertain limit)..........

Good luck!

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.