What lenses for Canon DSLRs?

Denniswong

Nov 5, 2011
Are Canon lenses and bodies like those of Nikons, where some bodies need to get AF-S type lenses, cos they don't have
AF screws?
Hope I'm making sense here.
Please pardon me using Nikon terms here, cos I dunno about Canon.
Thanks for all the great help in advance.
:)

Canon EOS --> no motor in the body, all EF and EF-S lenses have a built-in motor.
The motor could be plain electric motor or USM motor (ring/micro).

cks2k2 said:
Canon EOS --> no motor in the body, all EF and EF-S lenses have a built-in motor.
The motor could be plain electric motor or USM motor (ring/micro).

Thanks for the really prompt response, cks2k2.
You replied before I could delete this thread, cos I realised it may be better if I posted in the canon newbie thread.

So all lenses for canon have af, unlike nikons?

You replied before I could delete this thread, cos I realised it may be better if I posted in the canon newbie thread.

It would seem that way. Have not found an EF or EF-S lens which couldn't autofocus with a Canon DSLR.

All Canon lenses with AF function (called EF and EF-S lenses) have the focus motor built into the body. The Canon body has no motor at all. The same goes for all 3rd party lenses with AF function: the motor sits in the lens.
But please be aware that there are Canon lenses and 3rd party lenses made for Canon (having EF mount) that are designated for manual focus use. Examples are: Tilt Shift lenses from Canon and 3rd party lenses with EF mount like Carl Zeiss.

Most lenses for Canon (save those that Octarine has pointed out), including third party offerings, have AF motor built into the lens.

Nikon still has cameras with AF motor in-body, so not all their lenses have AF motor.

Thanks for the great info, everyone.
:))

Canon's "MP" macro lenses have no AF as well.

cks2k2 said:
Canon's "MP" macro lenses have no AF as well.

Oh. Thanks.
I'm actually looking at the normal primes and zooms. And looks like they're cheaper than the Nikkor lenses.