what lense would u experience people recommand?

novaflare

Dec 21, 2009
hi, would like to know wat type of lense would u all recommand for a general purpose lense

budget 2-3k
currently using a 40d

Tamron 18-270...from "wide" to telephoto...

general purpose i assume that as a "all the time attached to my cam" lens from morning till night, i suggest 17-55mm f2.8 then for that purpose since u never mention any needs for telephoto range

hi, would like to know wat type of lense would u all recommand for a general purpose lense

budget 2-3k
currently using a 40d

general purpose as in?

for me i would recommend get a dedicated flash first and the 50mm/85mm f/1.8 to complement the kit lens. Save the money for when you know what you need.

General purpose? Kit lenses like 18-55, 18-135 or all in one zooms like 18-200 or tamron 18-270

15-85mm

Or 24-105mm F4L - better colors and if you don't use the wider angle <24mm

Dun waste time get the 24-70mm f2.8L.

General purpose lens for crop: 17-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm, 15-85mm
All in one lens for crop: 18-200mm

the Tamron 18-270mm PZD seems good. Got a friend who tested it at a shop with his canon body..what I see from his lcd, it was pretty good for the range. you should read up reviews on canon 18-200 should you be thinking of getting it.

1. Depends on your budget, how much do you want to spend?
2. Personally, I started with 18-55. Came with my 40D as kit. Too dark and was a little disappointed.
3. My all time favourite, EFS 17-55 f/2.8.
4. But this depends on your shooting style.

budget 2-3k
currently using a 40d

Probably one of the better ones might be the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS is you can stretch a little more. 2nd hand very hard to come by.

Alternatively, consider two lenses ... something like a UWA range and a medium wide to short tele range (like kit lenses), or a UWA and prosumer longer superzoom ...

A LOT depends on your shooting situations, subjects and personal wants/needs.

A LOT depends on your shooting situations, subjects and personal wants/needs.

This.

Ask yourself if you ever wished you wanted a wider field of view, if you needed a longer reach, if you wanted to play around with different perspectives, if you needed a larger aperture for subject isolation or low light shooting. The 18-200 is a lens that covers a lot of range and does offer you different perspective distortions (wide and tele), but it does not offer much subject isolation compared to a fast aperture lens. I seldom shoot tele but I want good subject isolation so a general purpose lens for me would be a lens in the 16/17-50/55 f2.8 range. Some people never shoot wide so a general purpose lens for them may be a 50 or 85 prime, or even a 70-200 f2.8

So it really depends on how you shoot (less so about what you shoot), find out what your current lens/lenses are lacking in terms of catering to your own shooting style. Don't just blindly buy a lens just because it has a large aperture or if it has a longer reach, make sure you really use those features before you decide what you want to buy.

Sorry to disappoint you, but 18-200 is not the lens that end all BBB for most people.

bro what's BBB ? =D

buy buy buy ah ?

BBB trend will not end for this poisonous hobby to begin with.
I feel that it will give the user a wider range of focal length to shoot till another need arises ?
I often have the "****.... this is the "zoom" I can go with my old 18-55mm" :D

Last edited: