What Lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backlash

May 6, 2008
satayphotoblog.blogspot.com
Currently just bought a D40 Kit. Will be using it for static ( Car and scenary ) and candid shots ( events like birthdays and company event ).

Using the kit lens now, so what other lens should I add to my lens selection ? I m saving up for Nikon 50mm f1.8. Besides this len any other to recommended ?

Thanks for the advise

Currently just bought a D40 Kit. Will be using it for static ( Car and scenary ) and candid shots ( events like birthdays and company event ).

Using the kit lens now, so what other lens should I add to my lens selection ? I m saving up for Nikon 50mm f1.8. Besides this len any other to recommended ?

Thanks for the advise

Hi backlash

Which is your kit lens you having now ?

Ryan

The kit lens (18-55mm) is pretty decent for normal use. The 50mm f1.8 would be good enough for a start.

You might want to get a zoom telephoto lens and a fast prime. Other then that, keep taking pictures and you'll know in which area you are lacking in equipment and buy into that area.

Samuel

get the 50 1.8, then probably a 70-300... shud be able to cover ur learning stages...

I think your kit lens will be ok.
Well according to your needs, you might use wide angles for events and scenary, and probably even for cars.

So you can consider the Nikkor 16-85 VR, it is meant to replace your kit lens.
If you are fine with the zoom range your kit lens currently offers, then you may consider 'upgrade' to a Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Both will give you better bokeh and definitely perform better than your kit lens in low light. Check them out. Plenty of discussion here on those lenses.

As for the 50mm f/1.8, it is a good investment, affordable price and get good results. Unless you are willing to pay more for the 50mm f/1.4, about 3x the price of the former for more quality and nicer bokeh. Some people here say it's worth the buck, but it's your choice.

If you need telephoto, like what others have suggested, I would recommend 70-300(anything but the G version.) I somehow feel quality of 55-200 is not as good, somewhat softer.

IMO, you can get the 55-200 VR and 50/1.8 and you should be fine for now. The two lenses are inexpensive, have decent to good optical quality and are compact to bring around. You will be more willing to bring them around to shoot than to leave them at home. Also, since all three lenses (including your kit lens) have a 52mm filter thread, you can save quite a bit of money on filters and CPL. The money saved can go towards a dedicated flash, should you need one.

IMO, you can get the 55-200 VR and 50/1.8 and you should be fine for now. The two lenses are inexpensive, have decent to good optical quality and are compact to bring around. You will be more willing to bring them around to shoot than to leave them at home. Also, since all three lenses (including your kit lens) have a 52mm filter thread, you can save quite a bit of money on filters and CPL. The money saved can go towards a dedicated flash, should you need one.

Thanks for the Advise, I m currently saving up for a 50mm f1.8 and a new camera bag. My old Lowepro Nova 1 W is a little cramp to hold my stuff.

Looking at a crumpler or bagman camera bag . . . prefer something colourful.

Status
Not open for further replies.