What lens would u use for tour ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will03

Jun 28, 2004
hi fellow members

I was thinking, if you are going on a overseas trip with a 300D, what lens will u bring along ? Since u are likely to just bring one lens for the trip. Assuming it is just a normal tour, nothing specific (like nature etc). What would be your choice ? :dunno:

KNIGHT ONG said:
bring a wide angle lens + mid telephoto up to 70mm will do .. ;)
I think you'd need a laptop with lots of DVDRs or CDRs :) heehee... I know I'll need it for my holiday ...

normally if i go back to malaysia with my wife, i bring along the 28-135. actually any lens will do as you need just to work around it and adjust your prespective.

if you bring fisheye, shoot fish eye,

if you bring a prime, force yourself to shoot with the angle lor.

Will03 said:
hi fellow members

I was thinking, if you are going on a overseas trip with a 300D, what lens will u bring along ? Since u are likely to just bring one lens for the trip. Assuming it is just a normal tour, nothing specific (like nature etc). What would be your choice ? :dunno:

For me, 16-35mm f2.8 + 50mm f1.4 + 100mm f2.0 + 10D + 2x512Mb CF + Xdrive + battery charges + Nova 3 bag

I normally bring my whole arsenal (not as much as you think.. only 4 prime lenses :D ), but if I had to pick one, it must be my 24/2.8. On my recent trip to Spain and the States, the 24/2.8 is hands down the most oft-used lens on my camera, followed by the 50/1.8 and 105/2.8.

For me I would bring along my 17-40 and 70-200. I normally leave the middle end empty..can't carry anymore..so my 17-40 becomes my walkaround lens. Oh..also a laptop, burner and tons of CD-R..:D

I would recommend the following lens :
- a lens range from 17 to 70mm e.g. 17-40L, 16-35L, 18-55, 28-135mm or etc
- a portrait lens like 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2 or 135mm f2

Will03 said:
hi fellow members

17-40 and 28-70

When I travel, I have 12-24mm, 24-120mm and 10.5 mm.

Me .. holding 300D, 18-58mm. My interest lies in taking babies/children pics as well as scenic travelling shots.

Pl enlighten me for the Both priorties as stated above, shld i consider buyg a standard lens 50/100mm 1.8 or tele lens 70-300mm.

For 300D user, cld i use Sigma lens or i shld stick to canon.

My budget and priorty now is to get 1 lens first, but cld take Both children as well as travelling shots, pl kindly give me yr kind advice.

Newcomer
Rachel Yan
Many thanks ...

Rachel Yan said:
Me .. holding 300D, 18-58mm. My interest lies in taking babies/children pics as well as scenic travelling shots.

Pl enlighten me for the Both priorties as stated above, shld i consider buyg a standard lens 50/100mm 1.8 or tele lens 70-300mm.

My budget and priorty now is to get 1 lens first, but cld take Both children as well as travelling shots, pl kindly give me yr kind advice.
With a 18-58, i think you can pretty much cover what you want to take. I like to take children shoots too. Just got a d70 recently, have not done extensive traveling with it yet but shooting children should not be too difficult with what you have since usually we shoot rather close to the children so you don't need too high a tele the 58 end should be good. As for the 50f1.8, it is a good to have for low light photography. So if you go to place like museum and no flash a allowed then this lense is good. I would recommend getting one 50 to go with what you have now. Since 50 is so cheap why consider 3rd party? go for canon straight. If you don't bring 50 mm then forget it. what you have should be sufficient.

But buying of lense also depends on the photographer's habit, the one to really answer this question will be yourself.

Good luck in your search and enjoy your trip!

Rachel Yan said:

Newcomer
Rachel Yan
Many thanks ...

hi rachel..

ur 300d and 18-58 is perfect for both ur shooting needs. u dun need any other lens. :)

cheers!

perror said:
For me I would bring along my 17-40 and 70-200. I normally leave the middle end empty..can't carry anymore..so my 17-40 becomes my walkaround lens. Oh..also a laptop, burner and tons of CD-R..:D

I also use 17-40 and 70-200, plus a 50mm F/1.8 to fill the gap a bit, also good for low light situtation. The 50mm one is very light and small to carry and of course it's cheap. :)

Thanks ALL for yr kind advice.

Btw, cld i pose some queries below :

i) When taking pics with blur background, subject remain sharp, besides using Big stop and zoom the maximum, why at many times, i still cldnt get the ultimate result, usg 300D ?

ii) taking babies/toddler children at hme, pl give me some tip what various mode i shld adopt to achieve the Best result, though I admit at times I always try to rely on Program mode.

Thanks ALL for yr time ..

zaren said:
hi rachel..

ur 300d and 18-58 is perfect for both ur shooting needs. u dun need any other lens. :)

cheers!

Rachel Yan said:
i) When taking pics with blur background, subject remain sharp, besides using Big stop and zoom the maximum, why at many times, i still cldnt get the ultimate result, usg 300D ?

ii) taking babies/toddler children at hme, pl give me some tip what various mode i shld adopt to achieve the Best result, though I admit at times I always try to rely on Program mode.

Perhaps you can post some of the images here and let us take a look. Don't forget to state the shutterspeed and the aperture which you used.

For your information, there's no shame in using programmed modes ... as long it does the job, who cares? As for shooting indoors, you may wanna consider getting a flash, which will obviously lead you to embark on another learning journey but I'm sure it'll be 'fun' ... ;)

Rachel Yan said:
Thanks ALL for yr kind advice.

Btw, cld i pose some queries below :

Thanks ALL for yr time ..

Make sure your subject is distinctly separated from the background (ie the background is quite far away from your subject). In such a case, using a big aperture would blur the background with your subject still be sharp. If the background is too close, it would still be within the DOF of your lens even at the biggest aperture, resulting in a sharp background as well.

Hope that helps! :D

Thanks for sharing the info..indeed it helps.. :)

Will03 said:
hi fellow members

YC's newly bought 18-125 Sigma! :)

As mentioned by someone, its largely your own style, likes/dislikes etc that determine whats the best lens combo for yourself. Some like telezooms like 28-200 etc, others swear by primes.
Take a look at your own images that you like. If you have more than 1 lens, count the no. of images used by each lens. If you have a zoom, count the no. of images at the various focal lengths. Sometimes, the results can give surprising insights. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.