What lens to use???

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilking24

Feb 9, 2009
Fine City
Hi all! I am a newbie here. May i know what lens most of you will use when you go motor show.

The one attached to our cameras of course. :)

On a more serious note, you could technically use any lens you want to. All depends on your shooting style.

"The one attached to our cameras of course.

On a more serious note, you could technically use any lens you want to. All depends on your shooting style."

Of course i know the one that attached to our cameras. I just asking all of you "old bird " what kind of lens will be better?

hi

it was a joke newbie. Be nice. you may first want to tell us the system you using. so we can advise accordingly.

cheers
shaz

Hi Shaz!

I am using a Nikon D90 with kit lens 18-55 and 55-200. I think of buying 50mmf1.4 for the event.

Rgds,
evilking24

Just bring the kit with a good external flash...

if you can save on a little more, get the 35mm F1.4.. it has a wider angle.. and your DOF shots background are much more softer..

Hi Michael!

Thank you very much for your advice.

Cheers,
evilking24

hi

before you go and buy that 50/1.4, you might want to set your 18-55 lens to 50mm and see if you are comfortable at shooting at that focal length. if you are comfortable then by all means get that lens.

but for me personally. i would make do with the 18-55. it is a motor show. the cars aint gg anywhere. so 18-55 gives you the flexibility of it zoom range so you can shoot at different focal length. and dont forget your external flash

cheers
Shaz

Last edited:
HI Shaz & Agent JX!

Thank you very much for your advice. Really appreciate it very much. :) I think i will buy a 35mmf1.4 and bring along my kit lens .

Cheers,
evilking24

I think Kit lens will be more than enough Bro. IMHO. :)

don't waste money... just bring the 2 lenses you have now.

depending on where u stand. u might need a zoom lens.....

Hi Shaz!

I am using a Nikon D90 with kit lens 18-55 and 55-200. I think of buying 50mmf1.4 for the event.

Rgds,
evilking24

Bro, for your information the highly acclaimed portrait photographer in Clubsnap, Mr Zeckson Chow (aka Commander Zec) who had taken many stellar portrait shots at these shows and other model shoots uses a D70, 18-55mm and SB600. Just look at the "Portraits and Poses" and "Ready Lights Action" sections of Clubsnap for samples of his excellent work. For convenoence, here are two of the links.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499785
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeckson/collections/72157614422002610/
Food for thought. ;)

Last edited:
Depend on what you are shooting, the motorcars or the babes.
If you have the space to move around to compose, prime lens will give you the bokeh
and sharpness that you desire.
However, for motorshows usually they are crowded with photographers especially when you are shooting a popular and beautiful model. The zoom lens will give you more chances of getting your shot. The 18-55 and 55-200 VR are good lens to start with.
Try out a 50 f1.8 first, and see if that suits your needs.

Hi All!

Thank you very much for all your advice.:D

Cheers,
evilking24

Status
Not open for further replies.