What Lens to use on AD Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsirias

Mar 12, 2009
Singapore
Hi All,

I need you guys professional advise. I am currently using Canon EOS 1000D with a Tokina 28-80mm f2.8 lens. Can i ask is it good enough for a AD wedding shoot? and do i need to bring a Marco lens or wide angle lens?

Please advise!

Thanks in a million;)

Such questions are popping up too often recently.

What lens to use or what lens to buy will depend on you cos you have your own preference and style and everyone else has theirs.

If I tell you that a 70-200 is good, are you going to get one immediately? Do you know how to get the best out of the lens?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8815741

FWIW, wide angle is a must for me... unless you're shooting in a huge house where you have room to move back to get a pulled out shot. My combi has been 17-40 + 50 for morning and 17-40 + 70-200 at banquet. Well, it has been HDB apartments for me.

Last edited:
If you are not the main photographer and you do it just for fun, any lens will do...

If you have a Prime lens 50mm is also good to take candid during the AD wedding.

Is shooting the wedding justification for a new lens? ;)

The lens you have now has a good range on the crop camera. Go and enjoy the event!

If you are the 2nd PG, no problem..
If you are the main PG, ask yourself if you are good enough first.

Not to discourage you, but have to be level-headed. It is someone's wedding, no joke.

I reckon by asking this question in the forum, you must be new to wedding photography, and even photography.
Maybe it is better to be a 2nd PG to learn more first. :)

i did help out my friend for his wedding... (not hired... just that his photographers refused to go his place stating miss-communication of locations and other stories... and asking him to top up for about a grand to get his wedding day photoed...)

i find that external flash (which i don't have it until today) is quite the most important thing... no flash can't do candid, no flash can't do proper portrait, no flash can't get the best possible group portrait...

the reason: indoor even using f/2.8 all the time, i experienced sometimes aperture priority hit 1/30s shutter even on ISO 800... the shutter speed looks "okay" to me on the spot since i know i won't get shaky photos with ultra wide at the lowest 1/30s shutter speed... went home review found that it's not the shaky hands that matter... the rather slow shutter speed won't get you nice photos when people moved, or kids running around, and some moments (mostly the couple's emotion) that last less than a second...

if i were to do it again... i would buy a proper external flash (or at least rent one)...

If you ask me, I think even kit lenses are good enough (if you're not the official photographer).
I've seen friends using lenses such as 70-300mm F4-5.6. It seems ok, with flash..

Don't know about the others' experiences. :dunno:

i have an External flash. I have also done a few wedding shoots as a 2nd Photographer. But most of the times I see other main Photographer using different lens that confused me @ all times. I admit that I am still new to photography but some how confident that i will be able to take up the job as main photographer, futhermore this is one of my friend wedding that he does not have the budget to hire a photographer. so asked for my help! :)

I was just hoping to get a better advise here on what lens should i use on that day. Other equipment are all prepared.

I have a 16-35F2.8 on one camera and a 85F1.2 on another most of the time when I do AD wedding shoot. Both camera with 580EXII (135F2 and 70-200F2.8 as standby in the bag)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8815741

FWIW, wide angle is a must for me... unless you're shooting in a huge house where you have room to move back to get a pulled out shot. My combi has been 17-40 + 50 for morning and 17-40 + 70-200 at banquet. Well, it has been HDB apartments for me.

Even if there is a big house you cannot shot from far most of the time, cos people will stand between you and the couples very often.

Hi All,

I need you guys professional advise. I am currently using Canon EOS 1000D with a Tokina 28-80mm f2.8 lens. Can i ask is it good enough for a AD wedding shoot? and do i need to bring a Marco lens or wide angle lens?

Please advise!

Thanks in a million;)
your 1000d is too slow imho if you are OP. I`d recommend renting a 1D if you can.

28-80 is definitely too short if for church weddings.

just shoot with what you have. Even if you have the entire range of lens. But you cant understand the logic of framing. There is no point in asking what lens to use because it is possible to shoot an entire wedding with only a 35mm or 50mm. You just need to be more creative.

just shoot with what you have. Even if you have the entire range of lens. But you cant understand the logic of framing. There is no point in asking what lens to use because it is possible to shoot an entire wedding with only a 35mm or 50mm. You just need to be more creative.

Sensible advice from the pro!

most kit lenses are good enough to shoot wedding, I know many people is still using kit lens to shoot weddings and charging money for that.
some people upgrade to a better lenses but still similar to the range of the kit lenses, because of over 90% of the money shots are cover by the range of kit lens.

Wide angle more useful especially for HDB housing. For those on budget, fast zoom lens such as 17-50 Tamron f2.8 will be the most useful all rounder.

Please take some time to patiently grow. Ask a seasoned wedding shooter to assist and shadow for a bit. Questions like this glaringly say that you're not ready to shoot a wedding. Sure it's fun and they don't wanna spend money...blah, blah, blah.... don't take people's big days lightly.

That said. I've shot weddings using a 50 1.4 for 90% of the day...same with 85 1.2...my lenses give me a vision or angle..but my skills and shooting dictate the quality the bride and groom sees. I could shoot a whole day with 24-105, but why would I, the gear is most of the fun :)

Paul
www.paulcypert.com

Do what you have on hand now. This is the learning curve for you. After that, you will know what you want. Like lens, compo and etc... From there, you know how to handle when you have chance to be photographer for a wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.