What lens to use for wedding dinner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intregra2509

Jan 28, 2007
what is the best or range of lens to use for wedding dinner ?

Anything which allows you to capture the scene that you want. I get away with a 24mm and a mid range zoom... up to you.

thank for all the advice . i realli appreciate it .

Me use 18-200mm Nikon VR + SB600 and a Gary Fong Light Sphere .... at a lower shuttle speed, its enough to light up the ball room.

I will choose to use 16-35 + 24-105 if you have a canon setup. Personally, try to avoid too wide like 10-22 or 12-24. If you really want to use them, move back as much as you can. Otherwise too much distortion. A flash is a must :) The last coverage I use the 24-105 to cover the whole event but 24mm end is not wide enough esp if the ballroom setup is tight. However, sometimes it is tough to change lens in the middle of the event. I would advocate changing to a wider lens just before the table shots.

I wouldn't choose 18-200 cause of the small aperture and in the dim lighting. Try using 17-55.

D80 Kit 18-135 with flash (SB800)

I wouldn't choose 18-200 cause of the small aperture and in the dim lighting. Try using 17-55.

With a flash, there is no issues at all... Unless you're talking about available light photography, then that's a different kettle of fish.

With a flash, there is no issues at all... Unless you're talking about available light photography, then that's a different kettle of fish.

:thumbsup: I agree.. generally you have to throw a flash.. so typically f4-5.6 is sufficient. Unless for specific artistic shots you may want wide open to capture ambient light :lovegrin:

Big aperture doesn't help when you take group photo. So a flash is still a must....

Big aperture is good when you are playing with DOF....:)

yep...usually wedding, they try to blur background with a ...cake for instance? in the foregrounds? Something like that.

As for flash, yea. Agree with you. Flash is a must. Anyone please inform me? Why need 200mm when you can just walk up and take?

yep...usually wedding, they try to blur background with a ...cake for instance? in the foregrounds? Something like that.

As for flash, yea. Agree with you. Flash is a must. Anyone please inform me? Why need 200mm when you can just walk up and take?
perspective will be different.

what lens to use, it depends on your wedding style,
and the lens you use, also make you shoot in certain way.

you can't built your style in one or two weddings, you need twenty thirty weddings to develop your own style, so listen to what other say and buy the most expensive two or three lenses will not always work, you may change along the way.

if TS only intend to shoot one or two weddings, just use a wide to mid tele zoom lens is good enough, plus a flash of course.

Shoot at 200.. you get a shallower DOF compare to shooting at 100 (assuming at same aperture)... your cake will be more blur :bsmilie:

Any range as long as the couple like the photos that you take. :bsmilie:

I use 2 bodies, flashs + Turbo 2x2
Table to table shots : 17-35mm
March-in & cake cutting : 17-35mm &/or 28-70mm
Candid shots : 28-70mm &/or 70-200mm VR
Arty-farty kind of shoots : 10.5mm &/or macro lens (Only after I got all of the 'safe' shots) ;)

Depending on what you want to shoot, which part of the wedding dinner, your style & your client's taste, the lens/range varies. IMO, Speed of the lens is important as it's their once-in-a-lifetime event. Once you miss the shot & mood, you may never get something similar again and it's gone forever. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.