what lens to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novaflare

Dec 21, 2009
i m tinking of replacing my 40D kit lens, what do u all recommand?

50mm f1.8 ?

duno, lol juz feel like 'investing' into a better lens hee hee hee =x

too many to recommend, cos each lens has its own function ;p
Do you want more wide angle, more range, more low light ability, red rubber ring ??
Will you consider only canon lenses or will consider 3rd party manufacturers ??

Canon has over 60+ lenses in their catalog u know ?? ;)
gotta catch them all !!!! ;p

oh ya true, lol cannot catch them all :p but

main aim is to use for frens's events and dinners functions
i tink i be looking @ canon.

i also have a 70-225mm i tink (nt sure with the model)

guess u are looking at some general purpose catch-all type of lense, i guess lots of bros have said for a general purpose cropped sensor lense... it's gotta be the efs 18-55mm ...
try it and tell us what u think... :)

guess u are looking at some general purpose catch-all type of lense, i guess lots of bros have said for a general purpose cropped sensor lense... it's gotta be the efs 18-55mm ...
try it and tell us what u think... :)

okie! btw wat is the use of a cropped sensor lense? sorry newbie in this field =(~

EF-S -> cropped sensor
EF -> full frame compatible
40D is a so called crop camera, can use both EF-S and EF lenses
Many threads in CS discussing this so have fun reading ;)

Friend's event and dinner functions likely to be indoors ya ?
A lens with a larger max aperture (f1.4 - f1.8) or a external flash will be most helpful ;)

EF-S -> cropped sensor
EF -> full frame compatible
40D is a so called crop camera, can use both EF-S and EF lenses
Many threads in CS discussing this so have fun reading ;)

Friend's event and dinner functions likely to be indoors ya ?
A lens with a larger max aperture (f1.4 - f1.8) or a external flash will be most helpful ;)

yea dinner functions indoor but sometimes have some outdoor events in the evening 6-8+

yup have an external flash already,

okie! btw wat is the use of a cropped sensor lense? sorry newbie in this field =(~

Then it's time to read up before you even think about your wallet. As long as you don't know what you need and why you need it it's just wasting money. Make yourself familiar with the different types of lenses, specifications, features, behaviour on different sensor formats. Think about how you shoot (you can check the focal length in exif data).
Even for dinner function everything from 10-20 to 7-200 is possible and usable - it all depends on your preferences and shooting style.

Bro, you have a flash and a lens and a body. I think those really works with the event you mention. With kit lens, you still can take pictures at the functions. Do shoot alot 1st before buying lenses or extra equipment. And do read alot of photography books and lenses and that might narrow down your wants. ;)

cheers :D

keep the kit lens for rainy days.

invest on a 50 f1.8 may be a nice move.

duno, lol juz feel like 'investing' into a better lens hee hee hee =x

No don't do investment in lens or camera gear

There are many other better investment

If you don't know what lens you want, chance is you don't need it

Just shoot with your kit lens until you know its limitation to what you need, then get the lens to cover its limitation

IF ur'ew very good with the kit lens, try the 18-55mm IS USM f2.8. The best lest for cropped sensors..

but if you plan to upgrade to full frame next time,
28-75mm Tamrom F2.8 or if you got $$$ Canon 24-70mm USM f2.8L

These are bread and butter lens for portraits and events!

IF ur'ew very good with the kit lens, try the 18-55mm IS USM f2.8. The best lest for cropped sensors..

It's the 17-55 :) .. exactly: EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM

50mm f1.8 should be a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.