What lens to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernie_ng81

May 26, 2004
Singapore
I plan on doing more macro shots in the future but am gonna get myself an E-500 first but then, not sure whether to get the single lens kit or dual zoom lens...

Most probably I wun really do a lot of extreme long range shots...

Still pretty:confused: at the moment...

wOULD fellow olympians please comment and help me out here??? :dunno:

Get the 50-200mm, you can use the EX-25 for close range and use the 1.4 X Converter 1.4to go at the longer end.

haha....but got budget man. after getting the E-500, will be sooo darn low on cash

Hello Ernie,

If you can stretch your budget, noelleong's suggestion is painful but sound :)

Else you may consider getting the E500 body, 35mm Macro & the 40-150 lens combination. The latter two is likely around half the price of the 50-200. I do not have price of the E500 body however.

Cheers,

The performance of 40-150mm lens isnt far off, from the 50-200mm.
Can be used with ex-25 and tc-14, but u should get 50-200mm if u wanna get the TC-14.
The 40-150mm is still better than 18-180mm ( just becareful with the C.A )

Not worth considering to buy in SG unless u got alot of $, or ur a enthusiast in photography.

Suggest you wait for the 35mm macro lens.

If really tight on $$$, can try using closeup filter/lens first.

I am using an Olympus MCON-35 with my 40-150mm and it works great.

NMSS_2 said:
depends on the type of macro you are doing. 50mm or 35mm macro can only get you dead insects to play with! ;p

I like still macro shots of static things and perhaps human features where if the lightings are good, should have a fast enough shutter spd to capture that image well ya?

chainsmoker said:
The performance of 40-150mm lens isnt far off, from the 50-200mm.
Can be used with ex-25 and tc-14, but u should get 50-200mm if u wanna get the TC-14.
The 40-150mm is still better than 18-180mm ( just becareful with the C.A )

Not worth considering to buy in SG unless u got alot of $, or ur a enthusiast in photography.

haha...I suppose I would rather fly to US instead of back home in singapore to get my camera but no choice... Europe's too freakin X and my flights booked already! wadya think???

definitely i could get my hands on one of them now but it'll cost that lil bit more which waiting a month more would save a fair bit??? :dunno:

buy an adaptor & then buy the Tokina 100mm macro lens. now CP got offer for this lens. :p longer reach & its 1:1 magnification, equates to 2:1 on the E sys. what u lose will be AF, thats about it. quality wise is pretty acceptable. ;)

nightpiper said:
buy an adaptor & then buy the Tokina 100mm macro lens. now CP got offer for this lens. :p longer reach & its 1:1 magnification, equates to 2:1 on the E sys. what u lose will be AF, thats about it. quality wise is pretty acceptable. ;)

and how much does one cost??? for an adaptor and then tokina macro. separately

nightpiper said:
tao said:
Suggest you wait for the 35mm macro lens.

If really tight on $$$, can try using closeup filter/lens first.

I am using an Olympus MCON-35 with my 40-150mm and it works great.

Post some pics, lets see. :bigeyes:

ernie_ng81 said:
and how much does one cost??? for an adaptor and then tokina macro. separately

cheaper than a ZD50mm macro. :)

here r 2 pics, full & uncropped shot with an old OM 90mm 1:1 macro via adapter (lens borrowed):

tigger2.jpg

brownny.jpg

here's the quality of a 100% cropped image:

horrorcrop.jpg

as i mentioned before, the ZDs from Oly is still better, but the quality u see here is definitely of acceptable standard. so why pay a whole lot more for the same focal length? not unless u really need that quality for very critical jobs. the choice is urs. ;)

juz a few more from Nikkor 55mm AIS 1:2 macro lens full image uncropped:

tinybabe.jpg

lily.jpg

trinity.jpg

judge them for urself. ;)

il be damn! nice photos u got there... though there's this area around the underwings of the housefly that attracts our eyes too much. but anyway, seems like it works alrite! heh...

nightpiper said:

how much for this Tokina 100mm macro lens?

hmm...NMSS 2, find your avatar pic very amusing.

seriously, is that u???

Status
Not open for further replies.