What lens to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziz2008

Oct 31, 2009
West
Hi All,

I really need your advise & expertise, what lens i should have for a basic photogarpher used beside the EF-S18-55 IS. Especially for newbies like me.

wat do u wan to take?
i think a prime 50 f/1.8 is a good investment for portraits

wat ur budget??:devil:

first ask yourself the question. Why do you need a new lens? ;)

You'd want a new lens if your current lens is limiting your style of photography... if you're not sure then I'd suggest sticking to your current else, the new one would prolly do no justice.

I'm interested in taking of natural landscape / scenery but the lens focusing may be limited.

lens focusing may be limited.
Huh? What you mean by focusing limited.. you mean its focal length is not wide enough? If so, then what you need is simply a wide angle lens and in this forum, the popular ones are Canon 10-22, Tamron 11-16 f/2.8 and Sigma 10-20 / 12-24. Be ready to spend at least about $800 and above. You can find the latest prices here and reviews wise, do a search in this forum and out there.

Last edited:
Tamron 11-16 f/2.8 and Sigma 10-20 / 12-24. Be ready to spend at least about $800 and above.
It's TOKINA 11-16. Anyways, you can always opt for the cheaper Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 10-22 f4.5-5.6 which cost about $600+

I'm interested in taking of natural landscape / scenery but the lens focusing may be limited.

Have you tried? How do you come to that conclusion?
Wide angle lens can be useful, but only if you know how to use it. Many people are just overwhelmed by "wow, that's wide..." .. and they take pictures of lots of empty space. Use the wide end of your kit lens and take pictures of scenery. Read about composition, try to compose and capture good images with 18mm. If you can't do this with 18mm then also 10mm will not help. If unsure you can still rent the wide angle lens for a weekend. Check the "Services Offered" section.

I am very happy with my Sigma 10-20mm. but you do need to be able to manage the perspective.

if you asked this question then probably you don't need it

have you fully explored what your kit lens can offer? no one can tell u what to buy.. u should know urself:)

Thanks All for your advised i'll take note of this.

Rgd.

Status
Not open for further replies.