What lens to buy after 17-55mm f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oooooze76

Jun 12, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi All, would like to seek your opinions on what lens to buy after 17-55mm f2.8.

Im a new 50D user. Im still learning to take nice pics. Im intending to sell off my kitlens 18-55mm and 55-250mm. I already fix my mind to buy the 17-55mm f2.8 but im lost when think of what is the right zoom lens to buy. I had spent days to read alot of others thread but just make myself more confuse.

Pls help me on this. Thank you so much...

Ps.. this questions may have asked by many newbies but i would like to know what is latest.

What exactly limits you with your current equipment? To me it sounds just like itchy feeling to get something supposedly better. And what do you mean with "the latest"?

just use your kit lens , if you find it limiting then get something else.
it might be not wide enough , then get a UWA lens.
if you find that you always shoot in low light , then get the 17-55 or primes.
if the full zoom of your kit lens isn't enough for your kind of shooting , then get a telephoto or a zoom lens with a wider range like 18-200.
i suggest not buying everything just cos it looks nice and sounds nice.
instead shoot more and find out what you really need.
and latest isn't always best btw.

We can help you better if you state what you feel the previous setup can't do for you.
Asking what the latest in the market is makes you sound more like a lens collector.

since you're the canon user, get the 28-300

all in one useful lens

since you're the canon user, get the 28-300

all in one useful lens

IMO, this wasn't a very good lens, especially for a crop body.

Just to take note, the latest lens not necessary the better lens or the most useful lens.
Lenses are different from body. Good lens can last for years, without being replace in the

55-250, 18-200 are relatively new lens, but only for EF-S mount.
One of the best lens Canon manufactured, 70-200 f2.8 L, has been out for don't know how long.

after the 17-55 f/2.8, get the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

after the 70-200 f/2.8 IS, get the 400 f/4 IS.

after the 400 f/4 IS, get the 600 f/4 IS.

and of course, sprinkle in some ultra wide primes along the way... and some 200mm macro lens..

that should keep you busy saving your dough to get those lens for probably the next 5 years, instead of asking questions like what lens to get. because this type of question is best answered YOURSELF. cos you get what you need. cos you buy what suits your shooting style BEST. and NOT GET WHAT PPLE ASK YOU TO.

he wants newest so TSE 17mm right? and 1200mm f5.6L.

no la. TS need to get carl zai 1700mm f4. along the way get some cheap 400mm 2.8 and 300mm 2.8 IS to play first

Just get 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8L you wun go wrong. I am using the 70-200 f2.8 L and it's damn solid in low light although heavier than the 100-400 f4 L BUT I get the results I need (not want but need!!!)

Oops forgot he's using crop body

Maybe TS can tell us your budget

That way we can give you more specific advice

Just get 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8L you wun go wrong. I am using the 70-200 f2.8 L and it's damn solid in low light although heavier than the 100-400 f4 L BUT I get the results I need (not want but need!!!)

Hi Sabre. Yes I was looking at 24-105 L and 70-200mm f2.8L. But I know that mine is a crop body and I have no intention to move to FF. So getting L lens are so much more expensive. So do u have any recommendation of other lens which is as close as 70-200mm f2.8, preferrably with IS.

Hi Sabre. Yes I was looking at 24-105 L and 70-200mm f2.8L. But I know that mine is a crop body and I have no intention to move to FF. So getting L lens are so much more expensive. So do u have any recommendation of other lens which is as close as 70-200mm f2.8, preferrably with IS.

want tele with IS, dun want L? keep your 55-250 lor ;)

Go Prime L and feel the poison....

I think the closest one that is cheap would be what you already have- the 55-250mm IS.

I think the closest one that is cheap would be what you already have- the 55-250mm IS.

I agree with you...

So far the TS has not answered the question "what is it about your setup that's limiting you?".
Sounds much like a lens collector...:think:

Sounds much like a lens collector...:think:

plenty of such pple around.

to me, if you can ask what lens to get, it will juz mean that you are not in need of that lens, and you are simply juz a lens collector...

Status
Not open for further replies.