What lens to bring to Phuket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilearn

Sep 9, 2008
I'm going to Phuket this week end and I'm thinking of investing in a telezoom lens but cant quite decide on which even after readings threas upon threads.

I'll be bringing:
1. Tokina 12-24
2. EFS 17-55

I can't decide between buying:
1. EF 70-200 2.8 IS
2. EF 100-400

If I get the 100-400, then I'd change my 17-55 to 24-105.

Can the 70-200 capture close-up shots of pple parasailing?

I'm going to Phuket this week end and I'm thinking of investing in a telezoom lens but cant quite decide on which even after readings threas upon threads.

I'll be bringing:
1. Tokina 12-24
2. EFS 17-55

I can't decide between buying:
1. EF 70-200 2.8 IS
2. EF 100-400

If I get the 100-400, then I'd change my 17-55 to 24-105.

Can the 70-200 capture close-up shots of pple parasailing?

70-200mm or the 100-400mm depends on what focal lengths u usually use. No right or wrong. The 70-200mm having a larger aperture might have a slight advantage in using a faster shutter speed for action shots. ( the longer focal length will also mean u will have to use a faster shutter speed for steadier shots ) Where are you shooting from ? on a boat ?

As to whether you can take close up shots of the people parasailing will depend on how far. if too far, the 400mm might not be adequate either.

Ryan

Problem for me is that I can't decide between the larger aperture or longer focal length.

100-400 will definitely be long enough for me, but I'm not sure if it's fast enough for me, to capture say parasailing or other water sports like jet skiing. Will be going with friends so it'd be great to take pics of the water sport activities :)

70-200 has an ideal aperture size for me but it just might not be long enough.

I won't consider the 28-300 cos it just overlaps too many of my other lenses and beyond my budget.

I'm currently leaning towards the 70-200 also because it's also weather sealed.

Just want to hear from people who have experiences with both lenses and their opinions

Just came back from phuket on a mostly beach based holiday. So long lenses are not really useful in this case. I find the focal length between 10mm to 100mm most useful. Tripod will be great for sunrise/sunset.

Cheers,

get 70-200 + teleconverter. You'll know when you need the focal length X2.

For those who've been to Phuket, is it safe to bring 70-200mm 2.8 IS there?

go light, carry light. There's no need to bring so many lenses along unless you are really going for a photography trip. If you're going for a holiday, just bring a general lens with a wide focal range.

Status
Not open for further replies.