What lens to bring for my Nepal trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamPaul

Sep 5, 2007
Hi, need advise from experts out there.

I'm going on a 6 days trip to Nepal next week, but not sure if the following lens I intend to bring with my Canon 400D is 'correct'?

1) EF S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (for landscape & scenery)

2) EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (for portrait)

3) 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS (for general purpose)

I also have EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM / EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III & kit len EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ,shall I replace any of these to the above?

I thought of renting EF 28-70mm f2.8L USM (for better image quality) to replace the sigma but worry not enough zoom, what do you think?

Hi SamPaul

The first three lens should suffice for most travel and shooting, the 10-22mm giving you abit more wide angle compared to the 18-200, while the 50mm giving you a larger aperture advantage especially under low light situation.

Unless you are planning to shoot micro, I would not lug the 100mm.
As for bringing another 75-300mm, I am not too sure if you would need that extra 300mm reach.

The issue of bringing the 18-200mm or to replace it by other quality shorter zoom.. As for the Sigma 18-200, though i cannot comment on the quality since i have not used it before, but in general it is always a trade off between IQ and convenience for all hyperzooms. I would lug along my 18-200 for that convenience.

Ryan

Hi SamPaul

The first three lens should suffice for most travel and shooting, the 10-22mm giving you abit more wide angle compared to the 18-200, while the 50mm giving you a larger aperture advantage especially under low light situation.

Unless you are planning to shoot micro, I would not lug the 100mm.
As for bringing another 75-300mm, I am not too sure if you would need that extra 300mm reach.

The issue of bringing the 18-200mm or to replace it by other quality shorter zoom.. As for the Sigma 18-200, though i cannot comment on the quality since i have not used it before, but in general it is always a trade off between IQ and convenience for all hyperzooms. I would lug along my 18-200 for that convenience.

Ryan

Tks for your advise....:)

Hehe,I juz came back from Nepal, and I think the lens choice also depends on the purpose of the shoot. Is it juz a holiday "snapping-sightseeing-shopping" kind of trip? Or a more serious photography-oriented trip? If weight and convenience is important, the super zoom is a good choice. If you don't mind the weight and hassle of bringing more stuff, always bring the best that you have...Juz my opinion...:sweat:
I share the EF-S 10-22mm, EF28mm F2.8, EF50mm F1.8, and EF 70-200mm F4L IS with my wife this time...:lovegrin:

Enjoy your trip...:thumbsup:

Hi, I just got back from Bhutan over the holidays and I brought my 10-22 for beautiful wide angles landscape as well as my 75-300 for sniping. Didnt really use much of the 50 as I seldom stepped out at night, too faking cold and i used flash indoors.

Of course there are those who will say "use telephoto for nice landscape" and "use 50 for proper st photography" but those are the purists, so let them say what thay nay. Otherwise, you could bring your 50 for st photography as the nepalese are generally a nice bunch and would stop to smile at your camera, do remember to let them see a preview of what you took!

x

Hi TS, you did not state if you are going Nepal for trekking or just sight seeing. If you are going to do a short trek within 6 days, you may not be too keen to lug heavy camera equipment around. Very xiong one.

When I went for backpacking to Nepal and Sikkim 7 years back, I took a 28-70mm and a 100-300mm lens, for wide and for zoom.

Oh well, these were the only 2 lenses I had then. :D

As others have already said, you could help us help you by telling us what kind of trip yours is: relax or xiong, trekking in the mountains or wandering in the cities... and what kind of photos you would like to shoot more of (landscapes, portraits, etc)

I went on a Nepal trek with only a Sigma 18-200, and I felt that a wider lens would have helped, as Nepal has lots of sweeping sceneries.

Whatever the case, the 10-22 is a must (unless you're only hiding in the heart of Kathmandu for your whole trip). Your 2) and 3) should cover all your needs, or you could compromise and get just the 28-70 f2.8 to cover for both of them so you have less to carry around.

What you might miss out without the 70-200 range would mainly be sniper shots of people and animals you may not be able to get near to, and the "stacking of mountain ranges" effect.

...but not sure if the following lens I intend to bring with my Canon 400D is 'correct'?

You should decide yourself which lens to bring along based on your own experiences with them since different people has different experience even with a same lens. If you fully understand the pos and neg aspect of your lens, you will be able to decide yourself.

My two cents

Hi TS, you did not state if you are going Nepal for trekking or just sight seeing. If you are going to do a short trek within 6 days, you may not be too keen to lug heavy camera equipment around. Very xiong one.

When I went for backpacking to Nepal and Sikkim 7 years back, I took a 28-70mm and a 100-300mm lens, for wide and for zoom.

Oh well, these were the only 2 lenses I had then. :D

I'm going Nepal just for sightseeing (free & easy with my wife), not trekking. Hoping to take some photos of the nice scenery, the nepalese and of course, my wife!

Hehe,I juz came back from Nepal, and I think the lens choice also depends on the purpose of the shoot. Is it juz a holiday "snapping-sightseeing-shopping" kind of trip? Or a more serious photography-oriented trip? If weight and convenience is important, the super zoom is a good choice. If you don't mind the weight and hassle of bringing more stuff, always bring the best that you have...Juz my opinion...:sweat:
I share the EF-S 10-22mm, EF28mm F2.8, EF50mm F1.8, and EF 70-200mm F4L IS with my wife this time...:lovegrin:

Enjoy your trip...:thumbsup:

Since you just came back fr. Nepal, did u visit Pokhara? Which are the nice Hotel there? I'm planning to stay there for 2 nites & then 3 nites in Kathmandu. Any 'must see' place in Nepal?

Status
Not open for further replies.