What lens should one get for going overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmahippo

Jun 28, 2009
Hi all,

I am going taipei soon and own a Canon 450D with 18-55mm lens.
Wonder what type of lens should one get for overseas shooting?
Could just using of 18-55mm lens good enough?
I dont really know how to set those effect. wonder where could I get those guides on how to get great pictures?

thanks in advance :)

Why do you think you need a lens for overseas? Overseas where? Antarctica? Africa? New York? All will require different lenses. You should put in effort to figure out where you are going, and then you'll know what lens to bring. Chances are, your 18-55 is more than enough. Don't buy stuff if you don't know what you need.

What "effects"? We cannot know what pictures are in your head. Your 18-55 is good enough, and as for the guides, there's your user manual, and lots of experience. Keep shooting and you'll figure out what shots you like and don't like.

Haven't seen any "overseas lens" in any lens line-up of the usual manufacturers. Is this a new marketing term? :)
A good picture starts with composition and intention. Otherwise it's one of those numerous holiday snaps. Before you ask for effects you should start taking good pictures that don't need any special effects. Check the numerous guides for composition, learn the basics and apply them to your images. Have a look at exposure guidelines and also your camera manual. No point clicking if you don't know what the camera doing. You may notice that some effects are actually quite easy once you understand light and your camera :)

:bsmilie: Hello, ahmahippo. :bsmilie:
I guess you can't blame our good Rashkae bro for saying: "Why do you think you need a lens for overseas? Overseas where? Antarctica? Africa? New York?".
It's true lah. Your 18-55 is really good enough for whatever travel destination.
I will perhaps add in another point to say that the ONLY time for you to acquire and bring along a new lens is when you have practiced and practiced, and practiced on your trustable 18-55mm so much that you want to start shooting with a different range (ultra-wide angle, tele, super-tele).
Have a good trip.

thanks guys for your reply. :D
a noob here asking questions, please dont blame hor lol.
anyway, i tot like those macro effect needs a special lens to have it nice...

i have came across a video of photos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkJOIuPvvFA) the kid and dog running is nice...
dont know how they does it.

pls do let me know if video link is not allow, i will remove it.

what lens to bring depends on what you like to shoot.

portrait - you will prob need at least 70mm on a 1.6x crop.
landscape - 18mm should suffice.
food - 18-55mm should suffice.

thanks guys for your reply. :D
a noob here asking questions, please dont blame hor lol.
anyway, i tot like those macro effect needs a special lens to have it nice...

i have came across a video of photos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkJOIuPvvFA) the kid and dog running is nice...
dont know how they does it.

pls do let me know if video link is not allow, i will remove it.

for traveling, some will prefer to travel with just one lens whereas some like me dun mind carrying a couple more, some folks love a more telephoto coverage or a wider coverage, some might throw in one fast prime for dimmer light shooting such as the 50mmf1.8. So it boils down to what u intend to achieve, what is ur usual style of shooting, or even how much "burden" u can take.

To achieve macro u can get a dedicated macro lens. Alternatively getting accessories like a good quality close up filter to add onto ur existing lens will be a cheaper alternative for an occasional macro shoot.

The kid and dog shot was an example of metering your exposure of the brighter background to intentionally underexpose the subject and create the silhouette effect. Nice compositions in the video. great pics from great composition!

ryan

I think TS is looking for a all-in-one lens.
How about the 18-135mm lens? :dunno:

You can take landscape shots and also some others like architectural shots and close-up shots with this lens..

:D i dont think there is all in one lens
but i wonder for those wide photos like eg: u go singapore river take photo, take a wide photo of it to make it look nice... but can 18-55mm do it?
sorry, dont know the real name for it.

18-200mm? Jack of (almost) all trades.

but i wonder for those wide photos like eg: u go singapore river take photo, take a wide photo of it to make it look nice... but can 18-55mm do it?

Hi, hope you don't take it the wrong way... I think books about photography may benefit you more than new lenses at this point.

18-200mm? Jack of (almost) all trades.
I agree....18-200 is pretty much the only lens I bring on generic travel trips for DX camera

Certainly your 18-55mm can do that.
Even with a APS-C body, the 18mm would be decently wide for a landscape shot.
You only lose out a little on the tele aspect.
That is why I agree with one of our fellow CS-er who said a few postings up, that an 18-200mm is a good lens to bring along.

Don't waste $$$ buying new lens if you are not sure why you want to buy that lens (aka what lens to get next). Before you buy that lens, you must know what that lens can do.

You need to know/understand the following before getting a new lens
- what type of photography you're more likely to take
- why a certain focal lens is better than the other eg 20mm vs 28mm, or 100mm vs 300mm, etc
- context of photography: photography from tour or dedicated photographic trip; the former a all-in-one lens more practical, the latter can bring any number of lens as long as the pocket and the back can support

Long time ago, I managed to take decent photo with only a Nikon 50mm film camera for my tours. No problem at all

Last edited:
Depend on what u like to take pictures of.

I carry a 10-22mm, 18-55mm, a russian 58mm prime and tripod for travel.

Don't waste $$$ buying new lens if you are not sure why you want to buy that lens (aka what lens to get next). Before you buy that lens, you must know what that lens can do.

You need to know/understand the following before getting a new lens
- what type of photography you're more likely to take
- why a certain focal lens is better than the other eg 20mm vs 28mm, or 100mm vs 300mm, etc
- context of photography: photography from tour or dedicated photographic trip; the former a all-in-one lens more practical, the latter can bring any number of lens as long as the pocket and the back can support

Long time ago, I managed to take decent photo with only a Nikon 50mm film camera for my tours. No problem at all

Haha... if you would like to know, TS... our experienced brother two200 shoots beautiful pictures even with his handphone. Listen to him. He is a seasoned traveller who knows the essence of travelling light.
Not like me... wherever I go, I always have three heavy lenses on my belt...

wow.... pls teach me :D

Hi all,

I dont really know how to set those effect. wonder where could I get those guides on how to get great pictures?

the lens you need.

to be honest, in travel, you need everything from 10mm to 800mm

the trouble is which range you need the most frequently, and that really boils down to personal preference.

Hi all,

I guess it depends on what you want to shoot.

Recently I went to Hong Kong for a week with just a 400D, 18-55mm lens and came back with 5 CDs and 4 DVDs of photos:

sion.jpg

sion2.jpg

sion3.jpg

STY0249.jpg

Once I shot with a manual camera with a 28-85mm for 5 years. I just shot within that range because that's what I got. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of photography.

Keep it simple, carry less, shoot more and enjoy photography.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.