What Lens should i get ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

planetmg

Jan 11, 2005
Dear all expert, I am getting my very first DSLR Canon 500D Kit I tml from the comex show. I am still wondering what lens to get ? I am pondering should i get the "purchase with purchase" EF-55-250 IS" Lens at $459 (U.P. $549) ? I was told by my fren that picture taken by zoom len will not be clear and also i am also afraid that i will not utilise it so much.
If i dont get it now i will miss the offer for the len at $459 ?

Also are the extended warranty really necessary? Please advise, thanks.

Dear all expert, I am getting my very first DSLR Canon 500D Kit I tml from the comex show. I am still wondering what lens to get ? I am pondering should i get the "purchase with purchase" EF-55-250 IS" Lens at $459 (U.P. $549) ? I was told by my fren that picture taken by zoom len will not be clear and also i am also afraid that i will not utilise it so much.

If zooms really produce unclear images, why would manufacturers produce them?

Do you need zoom? If yes, Go EF 55-250mm
Edit: You should ask at shop for e-quote.

Extended warranty is not worth.

Last edited:
Sorry for asking the obvious, but have you checked the prices with other camera shops? $459 is not really that fantastic a price.

u shld do a research first lor..

anyway, come with simi freebies??

Hmm.... so u think i can dont get the zoom len from the Comex and can get it later from other shops ?

Why extended warranty not worth ?

Sorry for asking the obvious, but have you checked the prices with other camera shops? $459 is not really that fantastic a price.

Cathay quote $480 but he can match the price if i buy the camera from them ?

Maybe call up other shops before you make a decision.

And if you are fine with 2nd hand, there are some 55-250mm going for around $300 in the BnS forum.

Maybe call up other shops before you make a decision.

And if you are fine with 2nd hand, there are some 55-250mm going for around $300 in the BnS forum.

Thanks for the great advice. Just checking if there are any 3rd party lens available?

Dear all expert, I am getting my very first DSLR Canon 500D Kit I tml from the comex show. I am still wondering what lens to get ? [...]

If you don't know whether you will need it or not then just DON'T buy. No point buying just for the sake of using a promotion. Maybe in 6 months you know much better what you need (and can afford) and then even the lower price for the lens is actually wasted money. Get the kit lens and start from there.
If you are clumsy and like to drop things then it might be a good idea. If you are alert and careful with your equipment then it's not necessary. Cameras are built well, they don't fall apart easily.

Thanks for the great advice. Just checking if there are any 3rd party lens available?

Not 'any' but many. Do read about them first before you buy something. Price differences always have a reason. Good review sites:
dpreview
Photozone (only use the chapter "Canon APS-C"
Bob Atkins

Status
Not open for further replies.