What lens should i get for my 500d

xthousandx

Jun 30, 2011
Hey guys i was wondering what lens should i get for my 500d . I recently got a 50mm f1.8 n i love it but its hard for me to shoot when im at a local small gig/concert . Was thinking of getting a wide angle or fisheye lens and i've done some research n all
Em are pretty pricey . Can someone recommend me one that is below $500?

I don't think you'd want to use fish eye lens on a gig/concert unless you really need the visual effect (as in distortion)

Anyway, be it a wider prime or a ultra wide angle, try buy 2nd hand in the Buy & Sell section. It should be cheaper.

What are some affordable brand i should look out for? Be it third party lens

The usuals are Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma.

I never use Tokina / Tamron / Sigma wide angle lenses, so not sure about the price and quality.

In short, you need to:
1. Google & find some reviews of the lenses.. the more the better so you can compare them.
2. Call the street retailers (Cathay Photo, TK Photo, etc.. Google to get their phone numbers as well.)

The usuals are Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma.

I never use Tokina / Tamron / Sigma wide angle lenses, so not sure about the price and quality.

In short, you need to:
1. Google & find some reviews of the lenses.. the more the better so you can compare them.
2. Call the street retailers (Cathay Photo, TK Photo, etc.. Google to get their phone numbers as well.)

I heard many positive reviews about 17 55 mm f 2.8, you might like to rent to try

What are some affordable brand i should look out for? Be it third party lens
There is no 'affordable brand' - there are lenses which suit your needs and your pocket.
1) What's wrong with your kit lens? Does the focal length suit your needs?
2) Have a look at the comparable ranges of third party lenses: Sigma, Tamron, Tokina
3) Have a look at the Canon Price Guide here, scroll down to 3rd party lenses
4) Read reviews.
5) Check Buy & Sell here for 2nd hand offers - and do read the sticky thread about buying 2nd hand lenses.

But the 17-55mm cost around 1k plus 2nd hand isnt it

maybe tamron 17-50

Wait... before you take 'advices', please look into what you are really missing? Wide or tele? Do you really want wide angle in a concert (not that there is anything wrong with that, just something for you to think about). Since you have already had the 50mm f1.8, I trust that you have used that lens in concert and gig. What do you not like about the lens... too slow? Not enough wideness? Cannot get close enough to the performers?

As to third party lenses, the cheapest I can think of are the manual one... check out Samyang, or other asorted Russian lenses (some of them don't cost more than S$100) and if you know how to use them, you can still get excellent result out of them. If not... Tokina, Sigma and Tamron all had pretty good wide angle lenses that cost less than 1k, some of these lens are in the range of S$7xx to S$9xx.

check out tamron 17-50mm. VC or non-VC it's your choice. provides you a wider focal length for your group shots and a f/2.8 wide aperture to help you with dim lighting in concerts.

The problem with 50mm is yes not wide enough . Its hard for me to walk around to get the whole band in the photo when most of the time the centre area of the gig is where people is 'moshing'

The problem with 50mm is yes not wide enough . Its hard for me to walk around to get the whole band in the photo when most of the time the centre area of the gig is where people is 'moshing'

not wide enough, you can seriously consider the value-for-money Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 :)

get samyang 14mm f2.8 , its quite close to your budget, probably selling ard $500+ nw. but note that its a manual focus lens.

Okay... TS... if 50mm is not wide enough, then my next question is... how wide do you consider as wide enough. One good way to gauge is to get a 18-55mm kit lens and use it to test if the width is wide enough at 18mm or moving it up to other range.

It would be easy to just jump into getting a 17-50mm or whatever, but if even at 17mm it is not wide enough then was TS going to get another lens? Better to test first, then buy later.

TS doesn't have kit lens 18-55mm ?

not sure, he doesn't mention it :S

Okay... TS... if 50mm is not wide enough, then my next question is... how wide do you consider as wide enough. One good way to gauge is to get a 18-55mm kit lens and use it to test if the width is wide enough at 18mm or moving it up to other range.

It would be easy to just jump into getting a 17-50mm or whatever, but if even at 17mm it is not wide enough then was TS going to get another lens? Better to test first, then buy later.

good reminder raised, always test the focal length before purchase.

Wide angle may not be such a great idea for concerts unless you are one of the main photographers who can stand at a position close enough to the stage to utilise it. Sitting/standing in the audience and trying to use a wide angle lens in a concert is not ideal.

Tamron 17-50. I am selling at $490

The tamron 17-50mm is of great value and image quality. Highly recommended.