What lens next? upgrading my d5000 kit lens. (18-55mm)

jrhellboy

Mar 2, 2011
hello, I've seen some good reviews on the tamron 17-50mm vc, but i'm wondering what are some of my other options. I just need a carry-around lens, mostly using it to shoot potraits and group shots. My kits lens just isn't working for me under low light and the autofocus isn't as fast as i'd like it to be. My budget would be around $700 or $800 tops.

If you're disappointed with your lens' focusing speed, you will be even more disappointed with the Tamron. If you need a 17-50 f2.8, go for the Sigma. Just that it's more than 1k in terms of price.

Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 OS HSM

If you're disappointed with your lens' focusing speed, you will be even more disappointed with the Tamron. If you need a 17-50 f2.8, go for the Sigma. Just that it's more than 1k in terms of price.

Agreed. The tamron is sharp but focus speed is not that fast and it's noisy too.
How fast do u want ur AF to be? my tamron focuses in less than 1sec.

Agreed. The tamron is sharp but focus speed is not that fast and it's noisy too.
How fast do u want ur AF to be? my tamron focuses in less than 1sec.

That's probably because you're using it on a D7000. On my D5000, the Tamron is slower than the kit lens. In low light, it can be about 2-3x difference in focusing speed (or the Tamron can refuse to focus while the kit lens locks on in around 1 sec)

I believe a flash like sb600 or sb700 will be more helpful than upgrading your lens.

A flash not only gives you more light in dark situations, it also helps in focusing as the red focusing assist beam it throws is way more useful than the one from the camera.

$700-800 can buy SB600/700 and a fast prime like 35/1.8DX.
May just do the trick :)

haha! thanks! i think i'll consider all the above alternatives. But image quality-wise the tamron's a sound choice?

Last edited:
haha! thanks! i think i'll consider all the above alternatives. But image quality-wise the tamron's a sound choice?

I just did a little research on my own and i think i'm gonna save up for the sigma! haha. thanks again!

Worth considering a prime lens as well...35mm or 50mm depending on your requirement and comfort factor

If you find yourself taking group photos often, you may end up finding the DOF of a fast lens too thin to get 2 rows of people in focus.
Stopping down negates the "benefit" of a fast lens compared with your kit lens.
This is when an external flash might prove more useful :)