What Lens next after kit lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverudlian

Dec 11, 2008
Need experts advice. Whats the next lens that i should look at and whats the damage ?

Something for potrait?

Currently using 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks!

Portrait...uhh...50mm f/1.8? Cheap and sharp. Bokeh may be acceptable.

You already have a fairly decent combo. What warrants your need for a new lens? Please define it so we can have a clearer picture.

Don't forget, "needs" and "wants" are two entirely different things altogether.

ef-s 55-250 $3xx

When taking portraits, what do you need, that your current lens lacks?

ef-s 55-250 $3xx

it seems that TS already have one of these in his equipment list le, and i do think that he wants to find a replacement lens for his kit lens?

to the TS: if your want the best and can afford the best, go for Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, cost ard $1.5k. if you are looking for a cheaper yet decent alternative, go for Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical that cost ard $650. if you are looking for different focal length, do consider EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM that cost ard $1.7k.

yesh for portrait 50mm f/1.8 is a very attractive lens to have. cheap yet good and sharp from f/2.8 onwards. 50mm f/1.4 (either Canon or Sigma) will be quite a good choice also. If 50mm end is not far enough, can go for 85mm f/1.8.

Kitty replacement:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM $1.5k
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 $650

Portrait prime lens:

Canon EF 50mm F/1.2L USM $ 2.3k
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM $570
Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MKII $130
Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM - $840
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM - $770

Thanks guys,

I just feel that it lacks the punch in my photos.

Does it really makes such a big diff in the lens?

Of coz i am just amatuer and learning the settings.

Thanks for your valuable input man! Now to check out the shots of the 17-55. Thanks!

You already have a fairly decent combo. What warrants your need for a new lens? Please define it so we can have a clearer picture.

Don't forget, "needs" and "wants" are two entirely different things altogether.

`Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.

`I don't much care where--' said Alice.

`Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.

:)

Thanks guys,

Thanks for your valuable input man! Now to check out the shots of the 17-55. Thanks!

bro, it's not what the lens can do. it's what you can do with the lens.

Need experts advice. Whats the next lens that i should look at and whats the damage ?

Something for potrait?

Currently using 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks!

Portraits wise u can try any of the 50mm and 85mm lenses.

50 f/1.8 II - Approx $130+
50 f/1.4 - Approx $580
50 f/1.2L - Approx $2300+
85 f/1.8 - Approx $500+
85 f/1.2L II - Approx $3000+

Last edited:
"85 f/1.8 - Approx $600+"

Can get one for 500 odd now

Thanks guys,

How are you taking portraits now? Are you using direct flash? For portraits, lighting can have a really big impact on your photos. (well, it's always important...).

A lot of these photos are really nice, and they were tagged with 1855, http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/1855/interesting/

Thanks guys,

Yeah as mentioned different lens gives different effect. How everyone wished there is a All-in-1 lens which gives you the effects that you want. But thats impossible, by doing that, manufacturer can eat wind already cos only 1 lens can sell off, the rest sitting in cabinet collect dust.
Also consider getting a flash to create more 3D effects and glow at the right spot. For portrait, it creates a catchlight in the eye which will make the model standout abit.

Status
Not open for further replies.