What lens is the US Sniper Team using?

These are not snipers lah. Kevlar helmet, no ghilly suit, these are infantry soldiers. 2nd and 3rd pic shows m16 carbine. A sniper would be using a scope. White lens is a definite no-no, not even camoflaged, that's unprofessional.

whether a sniper uses a ghillie suite or not depends on the mission. most snipers wear jungle cap instead of a helmet instead. a sniper/his spotter carries a carbine for defensive purposes should an enemy appear in close vicinity and spots them. also, it is possible to mount a scope on a M16/M4 FYI.

White Lens gonna be sniped by others instead. Even scope reflection for a sniper gun will give their position from a far away position, not to mention a white lens with such a big front element.

White Lens gonna be sniped by others instead. Even scope reflection for a sniper gun will give their position from a far away position, not to mention a white lens with such a big front element.
obviously they only use their cameras for recce missions, and not in missions where they are expecting enemy snipers

whether a sniper uses a ghillie suite or not depends on the mission. most snipers wear jungle cap instead of a helmet instead. a sniper/his spotter carries a carbine for defensive purposes should an enemy appear in close vicinity and spots them. also, it is possible to mount a scope on a M16/M4 FYI.

just like the Philippines sniper that headshot the ex-policeman who held the HK tourists as hostage.

he was using carbine mounted with scope and he was naked without ghillie suite.

2yl00sn.jpg

anyone who been thru sniper course will know this photograph is fake.

talk about being tactical, the mirror slap going to give away the location too.

IMO, carrying a big DSLR to outfield is not practical lah

even though i am a canon die-hard fans, i will suggest micro 4/3 system (smaller/lighter) or mirrorless system for quiet operation.

I dont see the reason of using full frame body when the recce will want as much zoom as possible (advantage of 4/3) to get a clear view of the target without getting too close.

When I was still a NSF, we tried to carry a Nikon D1 (or was that Canon D2000?) with a super tele zoom lens to go out outfield. That's because those are the only choice >10 years ago. I still remember loading the pic to the rugged laptop and transmit the image back to HQ via signal set.

Last edited:
Wah, I thought u're talking about this lens :bsmilie:

fs3p6man.jpg

[vid]hxuYi6Q5SMc[/vid]

Wah so many sniper-trained pple here..

anyone who been through army know that the pics are fake... -.-

bag pack dont have camo netting -.-

we dont wear helmets.. its supposed to be net behind the bag pack -.-

nonsense.

My sarcasm (as indicated by :bsmilie:) is directed at Canon marketing for saying they paint their L teles white for better heat dissipation.