What lens is good for taking food photos?

vincentyong

Dec 16, 2012
Singapore
I am currently having Canon 500D with Sigma 18 to 250mm lens + 50mm f1.8 lens

I love taking closeup on food but when using 50mm lens, ended up not really that closeup (or maybe I am newbie) which need to be away a bit to take the food photos lol.

1. Do a search for "food photos". Your question has been asked many times before.

2. Either stand further away to get within your minimum focusing distance, or get a macro lens.

Just use your 18-250... Use LED light if it "gets too dark"

don't use 1200mm there about focal lengths. lens will eat the food along with you

Try a Canon tilt shift lens say about 45mm.
Canon has 17mm, 24mm, 45mm, 90mm T+S lenses.

To me, a 17-50mm lens does the job...

erm, try using a macro attachment like a Raynox 250 ? actually just shoot from a little far away, like what Raskhae says. should be more than enuf to get you ur shots.

Last edited:
erm, try using a macro attachment like a Raynox 250 ? actually just shoot from a little far away, like what Raskhae says. should be more than enuf to get you ur shots.

Yup, then just crop a bit.

Thanks all for your time to response here.
I had just ordered Raynox 250 :D

Thanks all for your time to response here.
I had just ordered Raynox 250 :D

I hope you know that depending on what lens you use, the focusing cab be as short as 12 cm...

Its acceptable if this is solely for your own keepsake.

50mm f1.4 is a good cheap lens which you could use. Even the 100mm macro canon lens is good. It not just depends on the lens you use but also the light availability.

50mm f1.4 is a good cheap lens which you could use. Even the 100mm macro canon lens is good. It not just depends on the lens you use but also the light availability.

100mm? For a food shot? You want him to stand 3 meters away? 30-50mm max.

Just a bit oot but what do think of this photo i took?
OOF, too tight .. and this is not a critics thread. Please read up about composition for food pics and post in the respective subforum for further discussions. For serious critics post a single pic into Critics Corner. Do yourself a favour and read the guidelines before you even post, better before you even take the picture.

Why food photographing need to use macro lens in the first place :dunno:? Unless you are trying to capture the detail texture of the food really close up.
A lens with very short minimum focal distance seems to be more appropriate in this case?

Why food photographing need to use macro lens in the first place :dunno:? Unless you are trying to capture the detail texture of the food really close up.
A lens with very short minimum focal distance seems to be more appropriate in this case?

....which are usually macro lenses...

The real thing. Which is not suitable for newbie.

(credit : picture perfect meals)

4x5-265x300.jpg