what lens for what shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
Hey guys, i'm picking up photography, and would like to ask what kind of lens are for what type of shots?

I'm interested in take shots of landscape and animals
What type of lens should i use?

Will be getting a cam with Kit lens to learn on the basics while saving up for new lens.
Thanks

Your kit lens will be quite sufficient for landscape shots at the widest end. As for photographing animals, can you specify? If photographing insects then you'll need macro lens which allows you to magnify the subject. If instead you go on safaris all the time then I'll recommend 100mm-400mm with 2x converters to be within a safe distance from the animals.

That's all I can suggest from my limited experience. Do take pictures and post them!

Thanks =)
any idea how much will a canon 100mm-400mm lens with the converters cost?
Will be goign safaris, not really into inserts

As for the photos, will have to wait till i get my cam 1st, haha.. still yet to decide but will most prob be getting them next week.

Thanks =)
any idea how much will a canon 100mm-400mm lens with the converters cost?
Will be goign safaris, not really into inserts

As for the photos, will have to wait till i get my cam 1st, haha.. still yet to decide but will most prob be getting them next week.

You can check out the birdy photographer who would be using the same equip as you would need. Cost? You are looking at many many thousands and with lens like that, you would need a solid tripod and head which again will be another thousands and just carrying the equipment you are looking at many many kilograms! haha...

Ok you can check out http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/ASP/Main.asp

These guys have heavy artillery!! haha

oh haha.. quess that will have to wait.. low on budget now, and hjust picking up this hobbie, wont be spending that much as yet.. what are the lower budget alternatives for animal takings?

photography is nv cheap.

Hey guys, i'm picking up photography, and would like to ask what kind of lens are for what type of shots?

I'm interested in take shots of landscape and animals
What type of lens should i use?

Will be getting a cam with Kit lens to learn on the basics while saving up for new lens.
Thanks

Get Nikon D80 with the 18-135 lens... You'll get wide angle all the way to telephoto. The wide angle should be sufficient to cover landscapes while the telephoto should be able to give you some nice animal portraits unless you're talking about shooting in African safari, then you would need to consider something longer. ;p It really depends on how much you want to blow on the system.

It would be helpful for us to know which system you are looking at (e.g. Nikon, Canon, 4/3 etc) and to know an approximate budget.

Your needs can be met by anything from a low end dSLR with a zoom lens with enough leeway on focal length to a high-end body with a wide-angle lens and a long telephoto.

if u had just paid more attention to post #3 ; the TS tell you he's looking for a Canon or a Canon-mount 3rd-party at the very most.

It would be helpful for us to know which system you are looking at (e.g. Nikon, Canon, 4/3 etc) and to know an approximate budget.

Your needs can be met by anything from a low end dSLR with a zoom lens with enough leeway on focal length to a high-end body with a wide-angle lens and a long telephoto.

if u had just paid more attention to post #3 ; the TS tell you he's looking for a Canon or a Canon-mount 3rd-party at the very most.

If you've paid attention to #1, TS has not purchased a camera yet, and he mentioned Canon in #3 because moriahphotos mentioned about Canon 100-400 in #2 and he's just asking for the price.

you are right also, but

because of post#2 recommendation, he asked further of the Canon... does that not mean he's looking for a Canon??? Did I say he has already purchased a camera or a Canon specifically??? Doesn't asking the price of the Canon meant that he at least has some interest over that particular brand?

If you've paid attention to #1, TS has not purchased a camera yet, and he mentioned Canon in #3 because moriahphotos mentioned about Canon 100-400 in #2 and he's just asking for the price.

you are right also, but

because of post#2 recommendation, he asked further of the Canon... does that not mean he's looking for a Canon??? Did I say he has already purchased a camera or a Canon specifically??? Doesn't asking the price of the Canon meant that he at least has some interest over that particular brand?

No.. not true.. you should not jump to such conclusions. The fact that I ask for the price of Hoya or B&W filters doesn't mean that I will buy them also.. Just a reference for me. Unless of course, the TS has already made up his mind that Canon is it, otherwise, I would think that the options are still open. Prices of DSLR kits are available easily so probably he doesn't need to ask. :dunno:

ok sister; peace.

let the TS get back to getting ideas from all what is best for her.

No.. not true.. you should not jump to such conclusions. The fact that I ask for the price of Hoya or B&W filters doesn't mean that I will buy them also.. Just a reference for me. Unless of course, the TS has already made up his mind that Canon is it, otherwise, I would think that the options are still open. Prices of DSLR kits are available easily so probably he doesn't need to ask. :dunno:

oppz sorry for the misunderstanding by not posting what brand i'll be looking at right @ the start..
Will be getting a Canon EOS 400d and will be having a tight budget on lens at the moment, will have to save up before i could get a new lens.

i'm not sure hw much zoom lens cost so i've yet to work out a budget yet, but shldn't be more than $300, is it possible to get a decent one? 2nd hand is fine. what do u guys recommend?

Thanks

Maybe, you could get faster responses by posting in the Canon sub-forum. Anyway, here is the Canon lens prices link:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131801&page=23

Welcome to the world of DSLR!

Before you make your first purchase, like it was before the digital era, based your decisions on the whole package -- system; ie, body, lens, flash system, etc.

Enjoy building your gear :)

thanks, so i guess i shld be looking at something like..

EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM ??

thanks, so i guess i shld be looking at something like..

EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM ??

look for cheapo sigma 70-300... good and sharp lens... and has 1:2 macro function as well...
selling less than $200 2nd hand... this is good to go along with your kit lens...

hmm a few question on lens..

what does USM stands for

and as for the aperture of lens.
eg. the kit lens f3.5-5.6 -> the biggest i can set is f3.5 and the smallest i can set is f5.6?
if that's the case, then what lens will allow me to get settings like f11?
I've notice that most lens sold in the market place range between f3 to f6, and there are some that has only one number like say f2.8
what are the difference in them?

how do i see those numbers and choose the correct lens?

hmm a few question on lens..

what does USM stands for

and as for the aperture of lens.
eg. the kit lens f3.5-5.6 -> the biggest i can set is f3.5 and the smallest i can set is f5.6?
if that's the case, then what lens will allow me to get settings like f11?
I've notice that most lens sold in the market place range between f3 to f6, and there are some that has only one number like say f2.8
what are the difference in them?

how do i see those numbers and choose the correct lens?

USM = ultra sonic motor, its Canons super fast AF motor.

The f/ numbers indicate the maximum aperture size of the lens. So for the 18-55 kit its f/3.5 max at 18mm and f/5.6 max at 55mm. For lenses that only show one number like the 17-40 f/4 it means the max aperture is always f/4 at all lengths. These kind of constant aperture zoom lenses tend to be more expensive then that variable aperture types.

Status
Not open for further replies.