What Lens for Travel Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shermeen

Aug 13, 2008
Will be traveling to Bali soon, currently have a prime lens 50mm F1.8. I guess this one won't be suitable for traveling, which one will be advisable and affordable to get?

Will be traveling to Bali soon, currently have a prime lens 50mm F1.8. I guess this one won't be suitable for traveling, which one will be advisable and affordable to get?

Ur kit lens. That would be enough.

How about a little more info? Such as your camera, your budget, # of lenses you're prepared to bring, if you have or intend to get a bag?

Depending on what you intend to shoot, a 50mm can be just what some need only.
But for discussion like what lennyl mentioned, do provide more parameters, cause people can really suggest really interesting options that might be way off for you.

Actually 50mm prime was the standard kit lens some time ago

Ryan

Depending on what you intend to shoot, a 50mm can be just what some need only.
But for discussion like what lennyl mentioned, do provide more parameters, cause people can really suggest really interesting options that might be way off for you.

Actually 50mm prime was the standard kit lens some time ago

Ryan

Then let me b very specific..
18-55mm. =)

50mm is covered inside the 18-55 range... so bringing that would be the best choice. Alot of guys have gone overseas and came back with good photos using PnS... im sure TS with his DSLR would bring back something decent too..

Bring both the kit and the 50mm. Its just 1 more lens and besides, the 50mm is so light. Just bring along for low light condition. For example

- Indoor?
- Inside some buildings/temples ?
- When you want to play with the F1.8 depth of field.

whatever focal range you are comfortable with.

define 'affordable'

I have a NIKON D300 and by affordable I mean max I'm willing to pay is $400 so where can I get some good second had lens?

Every lens made can be used for travelling. Be more specific with your questions and you'll get more meaningful answers instead of asking other people to take a shot in the dark.

Well I guess I joined the thread here to seek some guidance regarding lens, but it seems I'm hitting the wrong button here.
Let me be more specific, am traveling to Bali; will be taking pics of temples, beaches and candid pics; therefore, needed advise as to what affordable lens would be good for such a trip.

Well I guess I joined the thread here to seek some guidance regarding lens, but it seems I'm hitting the wrong button here.
Let me be more specific, am traveling to Bali; will be taking pics of temples, beaches and candid pics; therefore, needed advise as to what affordable lens would be good for such a trip.

Hi TS.... there was a similar discussion earlier at another section....

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406140&highlight=bali

Very similar question from yours..... maybe you would want to take a look. :bsmilie:

My choice would be a Ultra Wide Angle.... for me - Sigma 10-20mm

If you are not keen to splurg on a lens on impulse, I would suggest renting a lens for the trip.

Actually, a lens in the range of the kit lens would be great for temples, beaches, etc. Depending on your definition of candid, that could work as well. Some people think that candid means sneaking up on people with a very long lens (200mm or more).

An ultrawide is a fun lens to play with, but I suggest sticking to 17 to 18mm on the wide end for now. I'm not familiar with Nikon's offerings, so I can't suggest what falls under your budget. I guess the 18-200 VR is out. Renting (as suggested by ahbian) is an alternative.

Have fun in Bali.

If I was in your shoes, I would probably take a Zuiko 18-180mm or a Leica 14-150mm along, acceptable wide angle for those landscape shots, nice zoom for those portrait shots

Just look for a similar range lens for your camera brand/model, because mine are four-thirds versions.

I guess a AFS 18 -135mm kit lens would cover 90% of your need.
Selling cheap at B&S for less than $300/-

May be another cheap prime lens 50mm f/1.8 for low light situation.
About $100++ for second hand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.