What Lens for Suntec Motorcar show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlchong

Aug 7, 2004
Redhill
Hi peeps..

Just want to ask what lens should i bring for the motorcar show at suntec?
I got the following:

1) 19-35mm F3.5-4.5
2) 28-75mm F2.8
3) 70-200mm F4

hee.. or should i just bring everything? I was conisdering the poor lighting condition and also the 1.6 crop factor( think it's gonna be rather crowded right?)

Btw, anyway recommend a tripod?

Pls advise, especially for those who went already.

Thank you.

bring all la haha...poor lighting u need a flash...

depends on wat u wanna take wat....if u taking the girls...then prob 80-200...if u taking cars prob a 28-70 range...etc etc.....juz my suggestions

and no point using a tripod....later get scoulded for nottin....

hahaha.. heavy la dude..

okie.. shan't be lazy and bring all..

toying with the idea of shooting abstract, using wide angle to shoot the cars..
of coz race queens are an added incentive. ;)

I would NOT suggest a flash for shooting cars, since it will kill the ambient light, and all your cars will be lit with a harsh white light (unless you like such lighting). The shiny surface of the cars will also reflect the flash, giving you a big ugly hotspot.

Since you have a DSLR, I would suggest you crank the ISO up to 400 or 800 ( depending on your noise/grain tolerance ), use IS if you have it, and use the ambient light. Then run the nosier pics through noise ninja or neat image.

hmmm...there are ways of using flash creatively to allow it to blend into the ambient lighting conditions whist givin a certain amount of illumination to it....

cheers....

Witness said:
hmmm...there are ways of using flash creatively to allow it to blend into the ambient lighting conditions whist givin a certain amount of illumination to it....

cheers....

Such as using omni bounce? :think: I know that direct flash will definitely create a hotspot on the metal surface.

not really...omnibounce is only to diffuse the light...makein it softer...i guess if it has a flare, the flare juz becomes smaller in this case....

its about blendin light into its surroundings...very difficult to explain...i am still experimenting with such theory.....

Witness said:

cheers....

I think u're talking about weak fill-in flash. This is used more often in concerts and the like, whereby u attempt to capture as much of the ambient lighting as possible while illuminating (weakly) the foreground (or subject). Not really suited for reflective surfaces.

I brought a 18-55 and a 70-200 F4L last time I visited. 18-55 is used for taking pics of the cars and also shots together with the race queens.

jlchong said:
Such as using omni bounce? :think: I know that direct flash will definitely create a hotspot on the metal surface.

Hi sometimes there is no truth in the above statement..about a hotspot created by the direct flash...it is all a matter of application n control..
During the motorshow, lots of cars will have hotspots from a multitude of lights thrown at them(d cars I mean)..

Was there morning..

Bring a fast lens, for more ambient light, forget about the tripod. Any use of flash will create a hotspot that is brighter that the ambient light hotspots, unless you can position yourself to have the hotspot created by your flash hidden. Remember that it is crowded.

so i guess that tripod is out of the question? Sercurity don't allow? or it's simply too crowded? will a monopod work?

i just brought my 50 f1.8. it's fast and light. and if it's the girls you're after, it'll allow you to get up close and personal too.

I managed to shoot lots of good pics with a 19-35mm. Crank up the ISO to 800. Using a 10D, no apparent noise found in the images. No need for flash.

;)

17-40L for me to take cars, and cars + models.
50mm 1.8 for me to take models + some close ups of car parts.
I'll bring my 580EX flash too. Eager to try it out with my 10D.

OT a bit, so far any one using the combi of 10D and 580EX? :)

so in the end. do you all still think a flash is needed?
i bring a 28-80 f2.8 there onli.
but thinking of bringing the flash.

This will be my first Car Show with a DSLR :) I anticipate that I will be using my kit lens 90% of the time and my 70-300mm will be in my bag full time. I see very little use for the flash unless you are into shooting Racing Queens and want to get the best lighting to feast your eyes on your shots for details later. For me..not interested them..so the only standby flash use would be the popup if ever. Any flash you use that is somehow attached near your camera is just a no-no with cars..unless you are doing a studio shoot. The flash flare up on the car's surface will just spoile the shots.

If I had some hard cash to plop down today..I might get the 12-24 zoom for even wider shooting. This is the setup for a Saturday weekend shoot.

We are talking a crowded exhibition where you are most likely elbow to elbow with people all over you...how you use a long lens is unless you are alway standing in a high ground area. I am 1.81m tall and I would still think I would have a problem with shooting over people at the cars. And when you do get to shoot the cars you would be really close to the cars as people will crowd around all the best looking ones especially. So a wide lens is the only way to go. Some distortion fro sure but sometime that distortion works towards giving you that spacey look to the car. I personally like that. IN fact after all this writing..I am going to leave my 70-300 at home. Let that be a challenge again. Think abit more about the shot and like a hunter try to get the est stuff against all the odds on a weekend shoot in kiasu singapore.

I would not be surprise to be shooting at ISO 800. Noise be damn,....I wanna make sure I get the pictures on the cars. Can always use a noise reduction program to get rid of it to some extend. But if not...I will try to make the noise work for me in the picture. I am there for the memories too not just to shoot nice ideal shots.

I would think if yo uwant to use a longer lens, one sould consider going on a weekday next week where after the holidays, less people would be around and those wanting to shoot racing queens will find them more willing with less people around. On a weekend, they have to keep smiling and willing to pose for so many people can be quite a strain..I doubt you can get much a good smile from them. They are human after all people.

Well that is my take on it anyway...happy shooting folks. Saving all my drool for the cars man!....heheheh willnever get to own one but at least I get to shoot them....even if it is only with a camera. For those shooting a car show for the first time..don't put overly too much pressure on yourself to do well..there will always be another one coming around the corner.

Hi there, any idea when is the exhibition going to last?
If I'm not mistaken, it held at Suntec City right?

Thanks.

ST_sg said:
Hi there, any idea when is the exhibition going to last?
If I'm not mistaken, it held at Suntec City right?

Thanks.

Brudder..you kidding right? hehe..

It will on till 21.11.2004 and will be till about 10pm each night. And yes at Suntec City. You can get all the information you want at their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.