What Lens do you use for Events Photography?

housedeals

Oct 14, 2010
Hi all

Just wondering what lens do you all prefer to use to shoot events.

I have a shoot coming up, to help my friends take photos of their backstage preparation. Not sure which lens I should have on.

Any advice? Or share what lens do you personally prefer and why. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all

I have a shoot coming up, to help my friends take photos of their backstage preparation. Not sure which lens I should have on.

Any advice? Or share what lens do you personally prefer and why. Much appreciated. Thanks!

What are your choice?

The list can go on and on.... might be easier to advise to know your limitation.

i'm using my canon 24-70mm and i'm comfortable with it ;)

Typically for commissioned shoot I would bring and use 17-35, 28-75 & 70-200 on two bodies (1 full, 1 crop)... so far it is the only combination I need for event shooting

Last edited:
Tough question - coz it depends on what you want to look for... Even an UWA can be a good event lens... or even a 70-200mm! Boils down to what kind of images do you want to achieve... FYI, I've used UWA for events before - that's because I want a wider view... :)

if you need flexibility, the 17-55 IS alone is enough and if you are up front...can take snapshots in wide and crop as necessary which isnt ideal but works in a lot of cases.

supposing you have a 70-200mm f/2.8 then it will be useful for the stage shoot but do bring a monopod for added support as it can get quite heavy especially the IS versions.

Hi all

for backstage, a wide lens should do the job..

Depends on what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot.

No fixed set of lenses. No magic formula.

Hi all

It'll be easier to advise if you could list what camera you're using and what lens/es you got. Otherwise for backstage, a pns would also suffice. :cool:

I'm using a D700 for this shoot.

I'm quite new to events photography (Everything happens so fast! lol)
Usually I have with me a prime 35mm and 24mm-120mm.

Then a friend of mine told me that events it's always best to use a zoom lens rather than a prime lens. So just want to get some opinions and see what you guys really like using for an event.

To me, it feels really sucky to miss capturing a moment.

Then a friend of mine told me that events it's always best to use a zoom lens rather than a prime lens. So just want to get some opinions and see what you guys really like using for an event.

If you do not want to lose a moment, but yet want to capture it all in low ambient lighting, you need 2 bodies.

One with 24/1.4, and the other fitted with 85/1.4 (if both are FX).

Depend on your style. If you have 2 bodies then fit one with the prime and the other with the zoom. Some people are comfortable with changing lenses on the go so they tend to bring one body. So it really depend on your style. :D

Since you only have this 2 lenses, just bring both of them. Suggest you put on the 24-120mm on the body. I'm guessing the zoom lens is quite slow compared to your prime. So... the prime can still be very useful.

Thanks alot guys for your advice.

I'm definitely bringing both lenses, guess I'd have to 'Jian Ji Xing Shi' tomorrow!
Will let you all know what worked for me =]