What lens do you think is most suitable for wedding?

What lens do you think is most suitable for wedding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgo

Dec 23, 2003
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi,

I understand that there are lots of other lenses around which are suitable for taking wedding shots. However, I would like to get a feel on these 3 lenses only.

Hi Bro,

I see that 17-40mm f4 IS USM is most bring and use for wedding photos.

That mean most wedding photographic will only bring one lens with them and only this thought out the whole events?

Regards
Peter

peteryeo said:
Hi Bro,

That mean most wedding photographic will only bring one lens with them and only this thought out the whole events?

Regards
Peter

The 17-40mm is good for "situation" & candid shots.
Definitely not for serious protrait photography.
I vote the 28-135 :)

peteryeo said:
Hi Bro,

Regards
Peter

I don't think so bro. Always bring my whole lot during wedding shoots, just in case you need shallow DOF, faster lens, IS, etc.

How about the rest?

I use 17-40 for almost all my wedding shots. But the main consideration is the space constraints of HDB flats and dinner tables.

For outdoor, I'd prefer longer zooms with big apreture. But if you take care of back ground and composition, the 40mm end can be used also.

Did my 1st full day wedding shoot as backup just a few days ago...

I'd say that the 17-40mm will be best (on a 1.6x crop factor), as most of the shots are taken indoors. But if you're the backup, you may like to try longer lenses, to take from diffrent angles.

Do you guys think the EF-S 18-55mm 300D kit lens able to take wedding photos (back up photographer) as well ?

if you're using a film camera, the 28-135 will be best.. for digital, i guess a combi of 17-40 and a 28-135 will be good?

i think 17-40 is good with digital... can get wide angle and can do potrait shots too...

i think it's a little too narrow on a DSLR esp for 1.6x cropping factor unless on a 1.3x or on a 1DS!!!

For film, I find the Tamron 24-135 to be versatile enough... I guess 17-40 would be a better choice for DSLR.

djork said:
if you're using a film camera, the 28-135 will be best.. for digital, i guess a combi of 17-40 and a 28-135 will be good?

That's an interesting point. I'm shooting digital and I ALWAYS use a combination of 17-40 with 28-135. The latter during day shoots and the 17-40 during dinner shoots.

depends on your shooting style.

i haven't tried the 28-135, i have no idea how fast is it.

how about this, if you're main, use 17-40, 50.
if you're backup, use the 28-135.

actually the 17-40 can already do alot of things, so it's good as it is.

i do 17-40 on digital and 50 on b&w film. 50mm is good enough for portraiture, trust me.

sequitur said:
depends on your shooting style.

i haven't tried the 28-135, i have no idea how fast is it.

how about this, if you're main, use 17-40, 50.
if you're backup, use the 28-135.

actually the 17-40 can already do alot of things, so it's good as it is.

i do 17-40 on digital and 50 on b&w film. 50mm is good enough for portraiture, trust me.

Thanx sequitur. I must admit that the 28-135 is not a fast lens, although it's very handy with a medium tele.

The 17-40 is not a fast lens in my point of view as well, but with a good flash unit, it will work superbly well.

The 50 f/1.8 is ALWAYS in my camera bag.

Virgo said:
Thanx sequitur. I must admit that the 28-135 is not a fast lens, although it's very handy with a medium tele.

The 17-40 is not a fast lens in my point of view as well, but with a good flash unit, it will work superbly well.

The 50 f/1.8 is ALWAYS in my camera bag.

when i meant fast - i really meant AF speed fast, not aperture.

the 1.8 is always in your camera bag ? it's always on my camera. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.