What Lens are you using for Wildlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting more into wildlife and would like to know what glass you are all using to get the job done.
Myself I'm testing with my 70-200 f/2.8 with 1.4x-2x converters for now. Just learning how to get the best out of this set-up. But recently I've been looking at the new Sigma 150-500mm. Would be nice but don't know yet if I'll make the jump or not.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
The longer the focal length the better I would assume. I'm no wildlife photographer, but here goes:

You'd want longer focal lengths, and primes fair much better i believe.

You can get a 300mm f/4IS or a 400mm f/5.6L for around (or under) S$2k.

300mm has IS, but is a bit short. 400mm has the focal length, but has no IS and has a small max aperture.

Following that, you might want to get a 400mm f/4 DO IS if you really need the f/4 and IS over the 400mm f/5.6L. Note the price increase (few thousand bucks). If you need more reach, 500mm f/4IS (or the 500 f/4.5 without IS) for something close to like 8-10k. Painful investments.

A good tripod would do you well if you're really planning on photographing wildlife. Good knowledge of your subjects would be of great help also.

Hope this helps =)

EDIT: The above is assuming you shoot Canon. If you shoot on any other mounts, just take note of the specs I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom