What Laptop Photographers use and why?

What brand is your laptop for photoshop/printing purposes?

Results are only viewable after voting.

ebrownie

Aug 13, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, I've been advised to get a laptop to "show" my photos to potential clients, as well as photoshop them for better print colours. Many of my photographer friends have been telling me to get a Mac, but I'm not so keen because I'm not a Mac user. Really can't get used to the interface. Is the retina screen really better on the Mac? Also, from what I know, some of Mac's laptops are not exactly portable.

Can I just ask what laptop is recommended by you guys and why?

It will be good if you could share your laptop brand/model as well?

erm , honestly anything goes. I've used the iPad mini to show photos.

i was using a MacBk Air 11in and have just upgraded to a Air 13in. I don't need that much of computing power and will always prefer to travel lighter if possible.

Don't forget the new Air's battery is really really long-lasting and that's one of the main reasons other than weight i chose the Air.

if Windows-wise, i swear by Lenovo Thinkpads (ONLY the Thinkpad models) , I've one thats going into its 9th bday soon and its still going strong but really, end of the day - anything goes :)

Just use the laptop you're use.
Don't follow what your friend say seriously as seriously clients want to look at is your photos not your laptop.
Nowadays some photographers have switch to tablet to show photos.

Because laptops stink for photo-editing in terms of value and capability, I use desktop.

I have any clients but I think it's probably better to just get a bigger tablet (iPad rather than iPad mini, for instance) and pair this with a desktop.

thanks for the reply guys.. what if I would require to do on the go printing or photoshopping?

Any laptop is good. Just make sure you calibrated the screen.

thanks for the reply guys.. what if I would require to do on the go printing or photoshopping?

Printing? You better have a very good portable printer. Not cheap.

Photoshopping? Any modern laptop is good, make sure you have a good screen (ips is preferred) and it's calibrated. Don't fall for the "Mac is best" nonsense.

Fyi, I hope you're charging a massive premium for these services.

Any laptop with good processing speed, decent graphic card and ram.
My laptop tend get laggy after using lightroom for while, sometime will need to restart.
For edit photos for paid assignments, will connected to a calibrated monitor, feel it easier to work on larger screen. My laptop screen not those high end type.
If just my normal daily photos, process without connected to monitor. Rmb to calibrate screen too.
To show photos, bring tablet. More lightweight & easier (for me).

So as we hoped for , laptop use whatever it's fine, it's what works for u not what model of laptop the client wants to see.

Portable printing ; I'm worried , that's a very expensive area to go into :)

get this lap-top :)

images

For showing to people, tablets be best, if use laptop I'll say upgrade/get one w ssd, else bootup v slow..

I use to bootup n put to sleep before entering peoples office so at least less wait time..

What's your budget?

There are often trade offs and priorities to consider.

On the move better get something light, ie less than 2kg. I prefer 1.4kg, but somehow would have to compromise other factors.
If u use photoshop, get at least 8gb ram running 64 bit os and also nvidia gpu that supports Cuda.
Processor at least i5, preferable i7. I am using a haswell processor, but is rather expensive.

You may disagree but there is a reason why bankers wear formally and not cheapo polo T.

Similarly, Mac is associated with artistic. Depending on ur services, getting a macbook pro is an advantage.

Do u know u can run windows on macbook?

Please even if you do not get a macbook pro, get something with an IPS screen for viewing angle and colour display purpose. The normal macbook air is using TN screen which is not as good as IPS in terms of viewing angle.

If worse come to worse, a glossy screen protector iPad 2 3 4 generation is fine. Use matt screen protector is just..... less impressive.

Well... as for me. I m not a pro so I use laptop with decent graphic card, good rams and cpu speed to do my processing of photo. As for showing of my pictures.... I will just carry my laptop with me but sometimes I just use my galaxy note 3. :)

I'm not a pro either, but I used to use an old lenovo with 1366x768 and a lousy screen that had a colour cast. Swopped to macbook retina and my god, all my photos suddenly looked damn good. So i would say at least get a decent screen for your laptop, both to make things better and also to appreciate visual stuff better. Just simply because of the retina screen I cannot imagine using anything else now.

What does the brands have to do with it? Think about your workflow requirements and the resulting hardware requirements. All brands have laptops that can fit.
Commonly, screens with IPS panels are preferred (a few brands have this), otherwise get an IPS as attached screen. and: calibrate it.
Have a look at external storage (NAS, USB) and don't forget backup.
The rest is personal preference, which is beyond logic and reasonable discussion.

Last edited:
One of the few laptops that has IPS monitors are HP or apple with their retina display. I have a mbp retina which you can blow up to a larger external monitor (in case the client doesn't want to squint their eyes for details on a small screen) due to the higher resolution support. You can work from home on a larger screen at the same time if need be.

Also, consider getting monitor calibrators if you do end up doing prints. It helps a lot in terms of getting colour accuracy.

In terms of brand, I don't have a personal preference to be honest, so long the specs serve your needs. Oh, and ultimately it depends how much you're willing to break the bank :)

I would say mac interface is not hard to learn.. took me like 1 week and I was at ease with using it.. But that being said I have had bad luck with Apple hardware.My macbook pro has died 3 times till now.1 motherboard change and 2 HDD changes. So buy apple care and get 3 year warranty on ur mac if you decide to buy one...

That being said the retina screen does make an impact.. No other laptop as far as I know offer the same quality and resolution as a retina display... If its for showing to client macbook pro may be a good option and you should not worry about interface it takes a few days to get used to and you will fine after that. Just get the apple care to extend to 3 years warranty when you get a mac though..

And also dont buy apple care from the store too expensive.. There are guys in vrzone and hardwarezone who sell it much cheaper like 100 bucks cheaper and it works fine as you warranty is registered online...

One question you might want to ask is do you use original software.

15 Years with Apple, IBM/LENOVO... Nothing beats their reliability coupled with Original Software.